Find More Posts by duworm
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,430 Posts
Discussion
ALES specific Radio programming from Sherman Knight

Hieveryone,

I am considering assembling some templates for ALES. For all the new DX seriesradios from Spektrum. I am looking for what kind of programming you would liketo see.

Whatdo you want the timers to do, Startupwarnings so the motor turn on accidently, How may flight modes, what flightmodes would you like to see, any particular mixes do you want but find hard toprogram. Probably the one with the mostcontroversy is how to turn the motor on and off. (so far there are four competing methods)

Becauseof channel assignments and different feature sets from radio to radio, I am planningon separate spm files for the DX6, DX7, DX9 and DX18.

Just let me know.

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon hobby Sailplane

duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by saddlesore
Steve
USA, PA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
Links to any JR 9303 programming ? I still get stumped .
saddlesore is offline Find More Posts by saddlesore
Old Jul 05, 2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by Got_Lift
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post
Hieveryone,

I am considering assembling some templates for ALES. For all the new DX seriesradios from Spektrum. I am looking for what kind of programming you would liketo see.

Whatdo you want the timers to do, Startupwarnings so the motor turn on accidently, How may flight modes, what flightmodes would you like to see, any particular mixes do you want but find hard toprogram. Probably the one with the mostcontroversy is how to turn the motor on and off. (so far there are four competing methods)

Becauseof channel assignments and different feature sets from radio to radio, I am planningon separate spm files for the DX6, DX7, DX9 and DX18.

Just let me know.

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon hobby Sailplane
Sherman, First of all, I want you to know how much I appreciate the quality work you've done, with your programming, especially on the DX18.
I've been soaring since 1972. Unfortunately I had to leave the sport on 1980 and didn't get back to it until 2006. I am awestruck by the developments in both plane and radio performance during that time. I purchased a Shadow in 06. I spent 6 years not only learning to fly it, but program the radio. I made some good strides with my programming but was never satisfied with the overall performance..
Larry Jolly is an old friend and I took notice of the Aspire he imports. Consequently I got one from Larry and set out to apply everything I've compiled about programming with, frankly, disappointing results.
Then I was talking with Mike Lee and he suggested I consider the DX9. It both supported my need to have the switches tell me what positions they were in and was supported by your programming, which, by the way,Mike has great regard for.
Well the bottom line is, I got a DX9 and applied the DX18 template. This combination has rejuvenated my experience with the new breed of open class planes, particularly the Aspire. I almost quit flying this stuff for fear it was beyond my ability to obtain the kind of performance I expected of myself.

In answer your inquiry, how about an update to the template, to accommodate ALES configurations?
It would be helpful, too, if the ALES support changes could be applied to an existing model without having to redo all the subtle adjustments that exist in the current existing model.
I have used the trainer button to activate the motor but find its location a bit difficult to use and it's either on or off.
I have played with the idea to utilize the flap stick for throttle when in launch mode, but can't figure out how to do it safely. Also, I feel the throttle off needs to be in in full flap stick position to make sense.
Perhaps a template, or update, for reasonably safe ALES throttle support, would be good.
THANK YOU again for your work.
Rick Pearson
Got_Lift is offline Find More Posts by Got_Lift
Old Jul 06, 2015, 07:09 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Links to any JR 9303 programming ? I still get stumped .
It will be on the new website. It was recently updated.

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon Hobby Sailplane
Old Jul 07, 2015, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by awilmunder
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
506 Posts
Hi Sherman,

Let me start by thanking you for your contributions to RC flying. Your guides have been a great help.

Before flying ALES I was flying powered planes, and my first ALES plane was RES, so throttle on the left stick was a natural. When I upgraded to a full-house plane I faced the dilemma of how to handle the throttle. I had been flying TD and wanted to be able to switch back and forth easily. My TX is a 9303 so I started with your Six Servo Aircraft programming and I think I only ran into one issue following your instructions. I made notes in my printout and I'll post an update when I have the doc with me.

The controls were a departure from my TD ship where I only fly with 3 modes, launch, cruise and reflex. I have camber on the left slider, so while not really a mode, my camber is tune-able in flight which is great when flying waves. I should point out that my 9303 is a heli-TX with the 3-way flight mode switch on the left shoulder and this works great for TD launches so I can fly with my right stick and use my left hand to move from launch to cruise to reflex and back to cruise after zooms.

Back to your setup... It took a few weeks to get comfortable with the two-switch setup for flight mode. The system worked, but I always found it challenging when I was resetting the controls back from 'left stick as flaps' to 'left stick as throttle'. You had to remember to fully extend the flaps (stick down) before you switched back to launch mode. Failure to do this could cause an unexpected motor start. I also found myself having to think just a bit too much about what mode I was in. I wanted to focus on flying and instead I was thinking about how different switches were set and how they would interact.

After working with the approach for close to a month, I decided to start again from a clean slate. Flying both TD and ALES, I wanted controls that were as identical as possible so I went back to the 3-way switch as launch, cruise and reflex, left stick is only flaps, and the left elevator dual-rate switch as my throttle control. Having a single throttle setting has not been an issue for ALES, but having a variable throttle may be desirable as I do more F5J flying.

Features I would like would be to have flaps act like a mode and automatically override any camber you might have. I have to admit that I have on rare occasions kicked into reflex briefly during a landing when I was late or pushing hard into the wind, but I don't do this often and I have usually already removed all flaps. If this is possible I would want to apply the approach to my TD ship where you might forget to switch to cruise when you pop off the line. Landing in launch mode can be squirrelly.

I felt that I had a near complete understanding of the DX7 and even had it working with a 6-channel TD setup, but the 9303 still has features that I never fully understand. Any setups you create, don't hesitate to be as verbose as possible in your explanations.

I am also curious how others have their controls set up. I have seen more than one pilot toggle their motor switch at launch using their lips. As e-launched sailplanes become more prevalent, we may find that there are features that we will want the TX designers to incorporate in order to meet our needs.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Jul 08, 2015, 02:42 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,430 Posts
See my comments in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder View Post
Hi Sherman,

Let me start by thanking you for your contributions to RC flying. Your guides have been a great help. Thanks

Before flying ALES I was flying powered planes, and my first ALES plane was RES, so throttle on the left stick was a natural. When I upgraded to a full-house plane I faced the dilemma of how to handle the throttle. I had been flying TD and wanted to be able to switch back and forth easily. My TX is a 9303 so I started with your Six Servo Aircraft programming and I think I only ran into one issue following your instructions. I made notes in my printout and I'll post an update when I have the doc with me. The 9303/9503 is a wonderful radio and was my main radio for over a decade. My only disappointment with JR radios was the lack of updates. The 11x had significant feature upgrades over the 9503, but I have small hands and the sliders on the back never worked for me. I switched to Spektrum when asked to beta test the DX 18 before it went public. I have never had a desire to go back. The additional features not found on the 9503 and the constant updates from Spektrum, which often include new features, is a welcome product support that JR never seemed to have. The new JR radios have many of the new features, at least in the manual, but I have not played with one of them to confirm that they work the way I think they should.

The controls were a departure from my TD ship where I only fly with 3 modes, launch, cruise and reflex. I have camber on the left slider, so while not really a mode, my camber is tune-able in flight which is great when flying waves. I love the slider on the 9503, unfortunately, only the DX18 is comparable. I should point out that my 9303 is a heli-TX with the 3-way flight mode switch on the left shoulder and this works great for TD launches so I can fly with my right stick and use my left hand to move from launch to cruise to reflex and back to cruise after zooms. All the new spectrum radios allow you choose and rename any switch, know trim or slider. The feature I cannot live without any more is the ability to trim each trailing edge control surface independently AND in every flight mode. All the new Spektrum radios have this feature. Starting with the JR 11x, JR offers this feature also on select radios.

Back to your setup... Are you still talking about the 9503? It took a few weeks to get comfortable with the two-switch setup for flight mode. The system worked, but I always found it challenging when I was resetting the controls back from 'left stick as flaps' to 'left stick as throttle'. You had to remember to fully extend the flaps (stick down) before you switched back to launch mode. Failure to do this could cause an unexpected motor start. Its a real bummer when that happens. I also found myself having to think just a bit too much about what mode I was in. I wanted to focus on flying and instead I was thinking about how different switches were set and how they would interact.

After working with the approach for close to a month, I decided to start again from a clean slate. Flying both TD and ALES, I wanted controls that were as identical as possible so I went back to the 3-way switch as launch, cruise and reflex, left stick is only flaps, and the left elevator dual-rate switch as my throttle control. I agree with this method it works great. Having a single throttle setting has not been an issue for ALES, but having a variable throttle may be desirable as I do more F5J flying.

Features I would like would be to have flaps act like a mode and automatically override any camber you might have. not available on the 9503. The Spektrum radios provide for a setup where pulling down the flaps stick activates landing mode. No switch to flip. I have to admit that I have on rare occasions kicked into reflex briefly during a landing when I was late or pushing hard into the wind, but I don't do this often and I have usually already removed all flaps. If this is possible I would want to apply the approach to my TD ship where you might forget to switch to cruise when you pop off the line. Landing in launch mode can be squirrelly. The priority switch feature discussed earlier in this paragraph, would take care of this issue. It works great (on Spektrum) and is how all my planes are setup. This feature is just not available on the 9303/9503. (at least I could not find one)

I felt that I had a near complete understanding of the DX7 and even had it working with a 6-channel TD setup, but the 9303 still has features that I never fully understand. Any setups you create, don't hesitate to be as verbose as possible in your explanations.

I am also curious how others have their controls set up. I have seen more than one pilot toggle their motor switch at launch using their lips. As e-launched sailplanes become more prevalent, we may find that there are features that we will want the TX designers to incorporate in order to meet our needs.

I am working on a template (Spektrum DX series) that has five fight modes with just a two and a three way switch. Hold the button down for launch mode, let go of the button and it automatically changes to speed mode/zoom mode. At the top of the zoom, pushing the elevator stick forward 15 to 20 percent does two things. It automatically switches to cruise mode and it announces the altitude in real time from the speaker in the radio. At the end of the flight, pull the flap stick and it automatically switches to landing mode.
Wish I had a fix for the auto land mode when pulling the flap stick for the 9303/9503, but that feature is just not available on that radio.

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon Hobby Sailplane.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by ddruck
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post
It will be on the new website. It was recently updated.

Sherman Knight

Where is the recently updated new website?

I still fly 9503 on 6 servo moldi in ALES and to me is all I need, 3 flight modes on left 3way switch, Throttle on left slider with motor kill switch on right Mix switch for safety. Camber adjustment on right slider. Very simple very effective, I use your instructions to this day like a bible, great work. Just can't figure out how to turn rudder mix on and off in thermal or cruise mode.

Sorry have no use for DX18
ddruck is online now Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Jul 10, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:22 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Where is the recently updated new website?

I still fly 9503 on 6 servo moldi in ALES and to me is all I need, 3 flight modes on left 3way switch, Throttle on left slider with motor kill switch on right Mix switch for safety. Camber adjustment on right slider. Very simple very effective, I use your instructions to this day like a bible, great work. Just can't figure out how to turn rudder mix on and off in thermal or cruise mode.

Sorry have no use for DX18

It is still a month or so out from completion.

Sherman Knight