Find More Posts by onethermal
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
976 Posts
Build Log
Oculus EXL ALES Build / Review Kit # 1

Hi Everyone

Once again I am starting a build thread on the New Oculus EXL and it will be built as an ALES version.
Here is a link to the plane http://www.mmglidertech.com/oculusexl.php

This thread is open to all and I would welcome all new Oculus EXL builders to post there pictures in this thread for everyone to see as your build goes forward and help everyone get answers to questions.

I have built 3 Oculus kits so far. Winch Version / Woody Version / ALES Version and now it will be the EXL ALES Version.

Here is a link to My previous build thread on the Oculus, it will give you a preview of most of the kit except this time it will be a bigger wing and it will have flaps not spoilers. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494066

So Welcome to the build thread.

Clarence Ashcraft
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Last edited by onethermal; Jan 04, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2015, 07:17 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
976 Posts
I have started the build and so far I have got the needed ribs out of the part trees and started laying them out to make sure that I have everything that I need to get going.
I really love the fact that Merrill pre-wraps the spars, that saves so much time in getting started and lazer cut ribs are so nice,
and I think of when I had built kits from scratch and had to hand cut the ribs and cut everything else in the knifes path.
Last edited by onethermal; Jan 04, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Gibson
Portland, OR
Joined Dec 2003
54 Posts
Oculus EXL Review Kit #2

After a long wait, I received my kit on Friday. I can honestly say it was worth the wait. This is my first purchase from Merrill/MM GliderTech and the quality of the kit is first class---plans, parts content, laser cutting, fiberglass fuselage and of course the instructions.

I'm amazed at the carbon content of the kit, and so, I decided to build the stabilizer first to get an idea of what I'm in store for. I've also had a bottle of Super Phatic glue that I've been wanting to try on a build that has properties of CA(bonding to different materials & thin consistency) but with a setup time of about 30 minutes. The stabilizer was glued up mostly with Super Phatic except where Merrill called out the use of thin CA.

The stab went together quite well and is ready for finish sanding and application of carbon cap strips to the ribs. I'm really going to enjoy this build!!
Jim Gibson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Gibson
Old Jan 04, 2015, 08:33 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
976 Posts
Hi Jim who carries that glue.

Clarence
Old Jan 04, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Newman12
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined Feb 2011
128 Posts
I just got my email from Merrill letting me know my kits ready to ship! I will be watching and reading as you do your build as well as asking questions along the way

Subscribed.
Newman12 is offline Find More Posts by Newman12
Old Jan 04, 2015, 11:14 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Dec 2003
54 Posts
Clarence,
I got my Super Phatic glue from Hobby Express. Here's the link:

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/scart/pu...&submitit_y=19

Jim
Old Jan 05, 2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by rev.iain
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
697 Posts
That glue is made by Deluxe and Horizon Hobbies sells several Deluxe products so if your local Hobby Shop is an Horizon Dealer they should be able to get it for you.

Deluxe also makes a material called "Cover Grip" which is great for making covering stick to carbon, or any other surface. They also make "Eze Kote" which is a coating for Foam and other porous materials, to give a more durable surface.

Both of the above are carried by Horizon.
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Jan 06, 2015, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by Cricklewood
Joined May 2006
34 Posts
Jim,

I am interested in how you find the Super Phatic glue works on the carbon-balsa joints. I have an Oculus EXL on order and am planning on using Super Phatic as well.

I have used Super Phatic on a number of all wood kits over the past few years and have been very happy with it but this will be my first build where most of the joints are wood to carbon. I prefer the Super Phatic over CA because the joint is less brittle, I feel that it weighs less because the water in the glue evaporates and there is no odour.

Chris
Cricklewood is offline Find More Posts by Cricklewood
Old Jan 06, 2015, 11:52 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Dec 2003
54 Posts
Chris,
Super Phatic bonds very well to carbon. I have found no issues with it so far----on with the build!
Jim
Old Jan 06, 2015, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2006
34 Posts
Jim,

I ended up buying a finer tip for the Super Phatic as I found that too much glue came out when using the tip that comes with it.

I assume that you will use CA to attach the rib carbon cap strips.

Chris
Old Jan 06, 2015, 03:04 PM
Joined May 2006
34 Posts
I am looking at a motor for my Oculus EXL and was wondering if those who have kits could check some measurements for me. The motor is a Hyperion and has a 37 mm diameter drum with a taper on the front down to 28 mm and I am wondering if it will fit. A few measurements one at the front and moving back would be appreciated.

Chris
Last edited by Cricklewood; Jan 06, 2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2015, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by tailsld
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
621 Posts
i put a hyperion gs 3020-8 in my standard oculus
tailsld is online now Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Jan 06, 2015, 10:16 PM
Joined May 2006
34 Posts
I am looking at a Hyperion Z3019-14 800 kv to put in the EXL. Do you know what, if any, difference there is between the Oculus and Oculus EXL fuses? Did you have to make any holes in the fuselage or make any other changes in the fuselage to fit the motor? Are you happy with the performance of the motor?
Old Jan 06, 2015, 10:29 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
976 Posts
The fuselage is the same And the only difference is between the one version and the other version is the Wing is 130 inches, And the wing is not designed for winch launch so it is designed lighter.

Clarence
Old Jan 07, 2015, 08:17 AM
Joined May 2006
34 Posts
tailsld,

How did the Hyperion gs 3020-8 work in the Oculus? I will be using the Oculus EXL for ALES competition so need to be able to get to 200 M in less than 30 seconds.

Chris