New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Ricomon
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
728 Posts
New Product
Hobby People Century EP RTF Park Flyer with 2.4G Radio & Battery

I just got an email from Hobby People, and this new motorglider was in it!

Product Description.

Hobby People Century EP

Ready-to-Fly Park Flyer w/2.4GHz Radio & LiPo Battery
This is a Hobby People Century EP Ready-to-Fly Park Flyer w/2.4GHz Radio & LiPo Battery. The Century is the perfect plane for small flying areas and all new pilots! So easy you'll be flying in a snap! The Century's unique quick assembly takes just a few minutes. The wing is retained with a magnet, the tail clips-on. Everything else is assembled and ready, right out of the box so you can get flying in minutes! And flying is what you'll be doing with this Century, over and over again. It's glide is smooth and stable. The power is perfect for good climb-outs with the reserve power needed to get out of trouble. Even the charger is built into the transmitter so you can recharge right at the field.

Many people may be flying the Century for the first time. To help the new pilot be successful we've included a detailed manual that includes both assembly, use, and flight tips geared to make you successful faster! Additionally, we know that every landing might not be so perfect. That's OK, the Century is easily to repair and supported with a full-line of replacement parts to get you back in the air quick! The Century's appeal doesn't end there. Experienced modelers looking for a relaxing, easy Park Flyer will appreciate the quality and engineering that went into this model. It's refined designed make it reliable and fun. It's a spectacular little grab and go, lunch-break flyer! So small you might even keep it on your desk, ready to fly! The Century is the perfect easy-flying Park Flyer anyone can enjoy!

Features:

• Easy-to-Fly - The Century EP is Perfect for New Pilots

• Great Size for Small Parks/Flying Areas

• Quick and Easy Assembly - No Glue or Tools Required

• Snap-On Tail for Easy Assembly and Replacement

• Magnet-Attach Wing for Easy Assembly and Transport

• Includes 2.4GHz FHSS Radio with Built-In LiPo Charger

• Indirect Gear-Drive Motor with Folding Propeller

• 1S 150mAh LiPo Battery for Efficiency and Long Flight Times

Specifications:

• Wingspan: 24.75 Inches (629mm)

• Wing Area: 66.5 Square Inches (4.29sq.dm)

• Length: 19 Inches (483mm)

• Weight RTF: 1.75 Ounces (50g)

• Wing Loading: 3.8 Ounces/Square Foot (11.56g/sq.dm)

It looks like fun. Has anybody seen one fly?

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Last edited by Ricomon; Nov 22, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added link
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by zmrbill
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Hobby People Century EP RTF Park Flyer - Owner feedback

Couldn't resist the price and it's just so darn cute.

I already commented at the Hobby People site here:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...list/id/64766/

Today I pulled it apart to look into the range and servo centering and found some issues.

The receiver antenna is 89 mm long. In looking around on the web it looks like it should be around 27 mm for a 1/4 wave. The transmitter uses a brass tube with a 27 mm antenna. Both use the A7105 chip. So the first step will be to cut it down to the correct length and see if that improves the range.

The poor servo centering is not surprising. Trying to move it by hand I could feel a lot of resistance. Also the built in bends for the elevator limit the up elevator throw. I will do what I can to reduce the binding and post back. Stay tuned.

Without the centering and poor range this could be a really fun little plane!

Bill
zmrbill is offline Find More Posts by zmrbill
Old Feb 04, 2014, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by zmrbill
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Hobby People Century EP RTF Park Flyer - Owner feedback Updated

I now have 4 flights in after doing some fine tuning and had a really fun flight this morning. Here is what I did:

Trim the antenna down to 27 mm. This appears to have solved the poor range issue. I have had it out to at least 200 M.

Bend the control rods at the entrance to the tail boom so that the entry is straight. This reduces friction and helps centering.

Bend the control rods at the tail end so that the 90 degree bend doesn't hit the plastic channel end with full deflection.

I still have issues with the motor brake not working and the prop not folding back. It's out all the time and is a huge drag. I get around this by flying with some throttle.

All in all I would buy it again.

Bill
zmrbill is offline Find More Posts by zmrbill
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by TweakRacer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Jan 2006
255 Posts
Hi Bill,

Could use your expert advice in helping to get this thing going. I'm almost at wits end and about to buy a UMX Radian.

For the poor range, may just rip it apart and stick in the brick internals of an E-flite ultra micro and use my DX6i. I may need to try your antennae shortening. Should I try a 1/2 wave at 54mm first? Is that measured from the joint at the board?

Also, I can't keep this model from porpoising. I have the battery all the way forward (connector facing back), which would seem to cause a nose-heavy condition with too much up-elevator compensation, leading to porpoising, but my CG is already ~50mm back at the fuselage (which is about 60% rearward of the chord). Where is your CG?

Lastly, did you ever solve the prop brake issue? Thanks!
TweakRacer is online now Find More Posts by TweakRacer