Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by restie
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
Build Log
F-22 Depron Detailed Build, Plans and Video. Super easy F22

F-22A

There are many F-22 plans out there. And most of them are great. But this particular version is designed to be easy to make, super easy to fly, very acrobatic, and able to fly in very windy conditions. It has become my most favorite plane in my hangar. I initially started with Dekans F-22 version. I've improved on that design by removing an inherent structural weakness. See post # 2241 on his thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post10293084

This latest design was a result of numerous revisions and trials. Each new version better than the last. Enhancing its flight characteristics, superior control, and improving its crash survivability. I've found that keeping the plane light was key. AUW is only about 7oz. This allows it to achieve superior control and great survivability. It will go where ever you point it. This plane is also great for high winds up to 15-20 mph. And it's great at the beach. Well, enough of my talk. Below are the specs and attached are the plans. Photos of the build are on the following posts. I also have videos of the plane in flight. Enjoy.

Specs:

22” Wingspan
7oz./198gr AUW

Materials and Equipment needed:
Depron Foam Sheet or Model Plane Foam 6mm or Dollar Tree foam (2 ply)
Motor: HexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5208
Propeller 7x5
Prop Adapter, 3mm shaft
10-12A ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
Receiver
Micro Servos,5-10 grams (2) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10965
Li-Po Battery 3S, 450-500mAh
Plastic Motor Mount http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9869
Carbon Fiber Rod 2mm x 90mm or bamboo skewer
Clevis (2)
Linkage Stoppers (2) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html
Control Horns (2)
Wire or CF rod for control links
Battery connector, ESC to motor connector

Option 2:
F-22B
There is a full fuselage version on page 5, Post #70. This version is more scale like in appearance. It was designed with a very different flight characteristic than F-22A. It is much faster than the A version but less forgiving to fly. I do not recommend the "B" version for beginners. It is also more challenging to make. I find Version A to be more fun to fly. After years of flying, it is my go-to plane. A plane I bring every time to the field.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1800045&page=5

There is one thing I'd like to request:
Please post how your plane turned out, or any pictures of your plane. I like seeing the different versions out there. And it's a good way to keep this thread alive and in people's radar.
restie is offline Find More Posts by restie
Last edited by restie; Jun 10, 2015 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:33 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
The Build: Step by Step

The Material: Black Depron Foam
I get my Depron from RCFoam.com. I usually get it in packs of 10. It's the most economical way of buying Depron. I like this material more than EPP , Blue Foam, or Foam board. It is much stiffer than EPP so you don't have to add more to the structure to keep the airframe from flopping around and causing slop in the control. Yes, it's less resilient than EPP. But in this case you have to choose one or the other. You can't have both. Blue foam is cheap but you can't sand it as well. DollarTree foam will work well. But you will have to double up the layer and also add some tape to stiffen the wings so that they don't bend while flying.

Glues: Beacons 3 in 1 and Epoxy
I have found that 3 in 1 is the best glue for Depron. It adds almost no weight. And if done properly, will give an almost welding quality to the bond. The proper way to use this glue is to apply a light coat on both sides of the pieces you wish to glue. Let it dry for 30 seconds, then press the two parts together. Do not use a lot of glue. I buy this glue from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-3-In-1-...Beacons+3+in+1

Another good alternative is foam safe CA. But even some foam safe glues tend to melt the foam. Try it on a scrap piece of foam first.

Some areas need a much stronger built-up connection. For those, I use epoxy. I use this primarily in the motor mount area.

I will continue the build tomorrow.
Last edited by restie; Jun 05, 2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:16 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
Step by Step Con'td

This is very Important: Make sure you set the exponential to around 50%. If you don't, with such large control surfaces, this plane can become very unmanageable.

I use around 30-40 degrees incidence for the Elevons. Yes, it's a lot. But this model should be considered as a hybrid 3D plane. You will need this when you start doing high alfas and start hovering to a crawl. This is when the 50% expo balances out the high incidence.

After experimenting with bigger batteries, I've settled to using 500mAh. I think this is the best battery size when you are looking for balance between performance and run time. The key to the performance of this plane is keeping it light. 500mAh will give you about 5-6 minutes of run time. Those batteries are also cheaper, so I have a lot more of them.

The reason I epoxy the areas where the hinge tape will go is to give it some longevity. I've found that after 4-6 months of flying, the tape would loose it's grip and come loose when you apply the tape on bare foam.

Enjoy! And let me know what you guys think.
Last edited by restie; Apr 26, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by tripn4days
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
131 Posts
Quick. Easy. Great Looking. Bookmarked.

Thanks!
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by Disco Stew
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripn4days View Post
Quick. Easy. Great Looking. Bookmarked.

Thanks!
What he said goes for me too!!
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by sliderule
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2004
2 Posts
Don't pass this one up, it's a great flying design that is easy and inexpensive to build. While being quite similar to the F-22 on Dekan's long-running RC Groups thread, the subtle differences in Restie's design and equipment make it a totally different flyer, I have built and flown 6mm white Depron versions of both the 24-inch Dekan and Restie's 22-inch F-22's, and I prefer the latter, due to it's semi-3D flying capability and great response. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Dekan's design, it is also a great flyer, just personal preference. I have seen Restie hover his F-22 all over the field, at two feet above the ground, as he describes, then punch the throttle and fly it around like a bat out of Hell. Like Restie, I prefer the more inherently rigid airframe I get building with Depron rather than using EPP. Black/grey Depron, like Restie recommends, is somewhat more flexible and thus less brittle than white, but white is all my LHS stocks, so that's what I use. If you have to order Depron shipped to you, then I would suggest getting black/grey unless you want to paint it with light colors. Everything, it seems, is a trade-off!
sliderule is offline Find More Posts by sliderule
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:51 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
Video of my F-22A plane at the beach.

Notice during the time I'm just hovering, my throttle is very minimal. It was only about 30%. This plane is only 7oz., all up weight (AUW). Keep it light and it'll do amazing things for you.

Flying the F-22 at the beach (HD) (3 min 42 sec)
Last edited by restie; Jul 22, 2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:18 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
Thanks Sliderule

Thanks for the kind words. This plane is really a blast to fly. And because of its very light AUW, it doesn't generate a lot of enertia on those rare moments you hit terra firma, making it very resilient. And if you do break something, there isn't much to the plane. It's very easy to fix.

Well, enjoy your F-22! 8)

Restie
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:31 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
Flying the F-22A at the Apollo 11 Airfield

It was a beautiful day. I love flying at this airfield. Didn't land so nicely. Miscalculated the throttle needed for the hover. But no harm done to the plane.

My F-22 at the Apollo 11 airfield. (2 min 20 sec)
Last edited by restie; Jun 03, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by Nucc10
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jan 2013
445 Posts
Hello Restie, Awesome job. Do you think for a less experienced pilot a small gyro may also help with stability while learning to fly it better? Moving into the foamie jets recently.
Nucc10 is offline Find More Posts by Nucc10
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by Nucc10
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jan 2013
445 Posts
Restie, excellent craftsmanship. How deep did you sand the bottoms of your elevonns? Looks like about 1.5 inches? Angle?
Nucc10 is offline Find More Posts by Nucc10
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:55 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
Nuc10,
You won't need a gyro for this plane. You can see on the video at the beach that it was rock solid against the wind. It hardly needed any adjustments to keep it going straight. This plane is super easy for beginners. Just make sure you have expo set to 50%. It will fly like it was on rails.

The trailing edge on the elevons are about 1 1/4". This doesn't have to be exact. But be sure to take the extra effort to do it. This greatly reduces induced drag allowing it to be faster than another plane with the same setup.

Restie
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:20 AM
Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
how would this handle $T foam with the same setup?
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:29 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2006
144 Posts
With Dollar tree foam, it should be able to fly nicely with that motor and prop. But since that material is more than twice the weight of Depron, you may not get the same performance level. It won't be able to float and hover as well. If your priority is cost, my recommendation is blue insulation foam. Its about the same weight as Depron. In my area, we can get this from Lowes Home Improvement.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by miniprinter96
Psalms 23:4
Goshen, IN, USA
Joined Nov 2010
267 Posts
You could use dollar tree foam and remove the paper from the foam. If you cover the plane with packing tape, it will regain a lot of its strength without a big weight gain. My slowest planes are all built out of $tree because it's lighter than any other foam once the paper is removed.

You could also try Model Plane Foam. There's a thread on it in the scratchbuilt foamies forum. I've use a decent amount of it, and it has a great balance between strength, durability, and lightness. It's also cheaper than depron. You can get 16 sheets of 2'x4' for $65 shipped.

Here's the link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...del+plane+foam

And the official website
http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
miniprinter96 is offline Find More Posts by miniprinter96