HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2014, 03:01 AM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
United States, CA, Twain Harte
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
Discussion
Full Custom Cut kits by Edwards-RC on the Cheap

SIZE/SCALE = Fuse length divided by 1000mm to get the scale. The take the scale and divide that into the wingspan of the plane to get the actual size of the wingspan as all planes are total length of 1000mm.

Kit assembly instructions:

Alignment is extremely important- It is my recommendation that you use 5 min to 15 min epoxy to glue the parts together. This allows for enough time for alignment. The better aligned the parts are the less sanding that is required. I don't recommend CA or even Foam safe CA. All parts are numbered to show how to put them together.

Sanding is needed once parts are aligned. Depending on the amount of time put into the alignment, depends on the sanding. The leading edges of the cowlings will need to be sanded as well.

Gap filling is also required, Some models require more then others and depending on the alignment can be more or less then others. Usually only where the wings meet the fuse or where the nacelles meet the wings need gap filling.

Finishing is up to the end user, however .5oz cloth for fiber glassing or just plain 45 min finishing resin over the foam should be fine. However if using just plain finishing resin, I recommend you using the provided carbon Fiber rod slots for support tubes (Spars). Just check for resin compatibility in a small area before before mass application.

Painting can be done with any paint, (Brushed, rattle can, or air-brushed) that is compatible with the resin.

I believe in being upfront with folks so I wanted to let you know, build que status had changed, not for those who have paid to this date though (10/6/2014). Hate to have folks pay then figure out they have to wait a little bit for me to start. I'll refund the customer, because they say, "I don't want to wait. I'll just order later when you're not as busy.", Then more folks get in line then in front of them by paying for their orders and they (the customer) starts to see me not slowing down anytime soon. So the customer ends up sending the money again. But now in stead of the customer's original spot the first time they paid, the customer has moved to the back of the line. Again full disclosure.

Thank you again for the interest. First paid, first served, then so on and so on. When it is your turn, I'll email you and we can get started. If it is a plane I have already done, please look for picture here in this thread or my for sale ad. If not then I'll gladly send you pics along the way and post them here.

Readiness: Kit Click to learn about readiness definitions like RTR or ARF etc
Condition: New in Box
Why Selling: Looking for community interest.
Willing to Trade: No
Item Description:

I have a CNC hotwire machine and am in the process of making RARELY (If ever) made WW2 bombers and Attack Aircraft. American, British, German, and Japanese.

American - A20 Havoc, B26C, P61 Black Widow, Lockheed Hudson Mk3

British - Beau Fighter, Vickers Wellington MK IC, Bristol Blenheim MK4,

Japanese - Kawasaki Ki45 Ver.3, G4M 'Betty', Ki-46, Kawasaki Ki-102B Ver.3, Yokosuka Ginga 'Francis'

German - HE-111, HE-129 With large cannon, DO-17, FW TA-154, JU-88

Finally a Experimental Biplane, I call the X-Foil. =) (X-Wing was copywrite protected)

All kits come in Foam (EPS) or (XPS) or can be covered with a resin shell. Just add you electronics , cover, paint and go. Here are two Sample photos I have. Power systems, electronics and such are installed all by the user. I only provide the plane/Airframe, it is up to the end user to figure out how to install all electronics they need. Doors and access hatches are provided on covered kits, covered and painted kits but not in just the foam kits as they would be too fragile to ship if I did that. Also removable cowls are provided on all kits.All kits have a 1000MM body length, there fore the wingspans vary according to the plane with respective to scale.

Example: B26C = 17.8 scale, Where as the HE-129 Tank buster = 12.8 scale, but both with a 1000mm long fuse.

4 to 6 channel aircraft. A/E/T/R w/Retracts or without and with or without bomb bay drop (Like the B26C)

Required to finish:
Servos - 9 gram
Brushless motors - 380's or 400's
Speed controllers - 20 Amp or applicable
Battery - 1800 to 2200Mah 11.1v Lipo
Landing Gear - Air, Servoless, mechanical retracts (which ever you want, but not included)
Radio TX and RX

If you are interested please email me. Build and shipping time in 5-14 days once your kit is started, depending on your position in the build que. Paypal only. Special requests are welcome but take a little longer for CAD development for my CNC machine. With a extra charge of 35 dollars on top of the standard price.

Plane - 90.00 (Promotional Prices)
Custom Plans - 35.00 (For any Kit I currently do not have CNC plans already done, This Option MUST be applied, List of kits WITH CNC plans are on the Marketplace Ad) BUT I WILL MAKE ANYTHING.
Building - 30.00-45.00 depending on the complexity of the kit
Shipping - 20.00-30.00
Ok, So shipping prices have gone back up but I am willing to keep my normal prices for now. Shipping has become expensive due to the LARGE box that USPS considers it. 12x12x40. But that's fine. Normal shipping prices are to be 25.00-30.00 dollars per plane, nothing I can do about that unless I get a shipping company to give me a break. And I'd still be eating some of the shipping costs. Sorry folks. But until I figure something out it is going to be the way it is.

This is for Standard Domestic Shipping.

International shipping, I'm still considering, Don't want to tell you folks no, but contact me and we can work something out.

International Shipping - 30.00-??? (Prices may vary, but usually, or at least so far)

SO options are:
1)Foam kit - 90.00(bag of parts you put together and sand/fill what ever) Due to size other kits are only 90.00, but more due to more foam being used.

2)Foam kit, Built - 135.00 (I'd assemble the kit for you, but only rough finish, final finishing and polishing is left to you).

3)Foam kit, Built and all pockets for equipment done - 155.00 (Assembly of the kit, Rough finishing, Sanding and gap filling, Priming with Automotive paint.

So there are your options, Just let me know. Shipping is 25-30 depending on location. Prices increased a little due to the work I do assembling the kits

Scale depends upon what size the real Aircraft is. The B26 is 17.8, while the HE-129 is 12.8. Each Aircraft will be different. But the bodies are all about 1000mm in length so depending on which aircraft the wingspan varies on the model. About 42in wingspan though, give or take. Just take the real Aircraft Dimensions and divide by 1000mm and there you go for the scale and size of the w/s for any given model.

Here is the thread with pictures and current questions. I also uploaded photos of prototypes and kits in progress.
Oldman1980 is offline Find More Posts by Oldman1980
Last edited by Oldman1980; Nov 23, 2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Title update
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,386 Posts
Youve got some good looking kits there! I know I spoke with you about doing a BE-200 kit for 50mm Fans and am still going to be ordering one, but I have a question. Are there any tunnels or grooves to add carbon fiber rods to the wings or anything? What about servo pockets? Or is that something you leave up to us?

Thanks,
Jordan
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Sep 20, 2014, 04:21 PM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned that part, Sorry for the confusion. There are no servo pockets or tunnels or grooves unless asked for. Everyone had their own way of doing things and I don't want them to be stuck with something I make for them, Besides the planes that is. If you would like servo pockets or channels or grooves or tunnels please advise me during the build and I can add them easily as long as it is before I cover it. After that it is a pain in the rear to make them. And again,just in case I didn't tell you before, I honestly don't remember, just send your email and once I get it I can send you off a invoice which can be paid when you get the money
Old Sep 21, 2014, 06:21 PM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
Photo updates

Here is a DH.98 MK.IV British mosquito. and a body for a G4M Betty Japanese bomber. As you can see the DH.98 MK.IV is one of my completed models awaiting the glass work to be done for the canopy and front nose. One of the more complicated models I have made due to the wing design.

Also you'll see the makings of a Japanese Medium/Heavy Bomber the G4M Betty. You can see the battery and electronics hatch cut out. This will be just a foam one for a customer, nothing more.

I'll continue posting pictures for everyone to see as I go.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,386 Posts
The Mosquito looks sweet man.

I would like to simply inform anyone reading this thread that I took the plunge and invested in a custom kit from Oldman1980. The kit I requested was a dual 64mm EDF BE-200....a model Ive been waiting for for years. I will be doing a full build thread in the Foamy EDF section (since technically its not a scratch build) on this kit once it arrives. I will cover as many aspects as I can.

Oldman1980 (aka Bryan) and I have been going back and fourth through email to hash out the details. This will still be a basic foam kit......but where in the hell can you get a custom cut foam model of any plane you want for this price!?......that doesn't exist.

Please stay tuned.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:05 PM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
New Kits finished

Here are a DH.98 MK.IV British Mosquito ready to be shipped, minus the plastic canopy and nose and a Betty G4M Bomber ready for shipping, again minus the plastics for the canopy, turret, nose and tail. My Vacuformer got unlucky all of the sudden and had to order a new one. I guess a fire will do that. Also attached is a photo of the machine at work.

Currently in progress is a A20G Havoc and up next is a BE-200 Water dropping Ducted fan tanker float plane. You gotta see it to believe it. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll Send you instructions in a email on how to put it together if anyone may need of them, but everything is labeled so you shouldn't have any problems. If you do however, just ask. All Control surfaces are cut. Ailerons will need to be beveled according to how you want to set them up for your standards, along with the rudder and elevators. The Flaps though, are already done as there it only one real way to do those. Wings will need attaching, either permanently or with a wing tube/spar, it's up to you. Servos can be mounted where ever you want as that option is left up to you the buyer. I never have done that for anyone, due to personal likes. CG should be around 70-90mm from the leading edge to start with. then move back to where ever you are the most comfortable. Engine cowlings can either be screwed, magnet or glued in place. but magnets are the best if you ask me. Canopy can either be screwed or magnet, again I like magnets. Engines can be either mounted directly to the foam (Not recommended) or to a firewall then glue the firewall to the foam and run a anchor through the foam to ensure it is secure.
Last edited by Oldman1980; Sep 24, 2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,386 Posts
You the man! These are looking great!

J
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:25 AM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
4 Axis CNC Machine Cutting A-20G Havoc RC plane (1 min 26 sec)

Video Added of the machine cutting a nose section for a A-20G Havoc. Figured I show you folks how the set up works.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:43 PM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
Ok, So shipping prices have gone back up but I am willing to keep my normal prices for now. Shipping has become expensive due to the LARGE box that USPS considers it. 12x12x40. But that's fine. Normal shipping prices are to be 25.00-30.00 dollars per plane, nothing I can do about that unless I get a shipping company to give me a break. And I'd still be eating some of the shipping costs. Sorry folks. But until I figure something out it is going to be the way it is.

This is for Standard Domestic Shipping.

International shipping, I'm still considering, Don't want to tell you folks no, but contact me and we can work something out.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 07:16 PM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
New Plane the BE-200

This is the CAD/CAM work portion of the job. One of the longest parts of the design phase. New up will be the prototype phase to ensure all parts fit as they should. Once completed, I should be able to begin the cutting process.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 04:21 PM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
New photos update

Here is a A-20G Havoc and a G4M Betty and a new BE-200 project...More in the works.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 12:20 AM
Custom RC WW2 Bombers
Joined Sep 2014
410 Posts
BE-200 Update

Here you see the fuse kit of the BE-200 Float plane cut and ready for shipping, minus the wings and stabs though. But ordering a kit (90.00) foam basic without me building it for you, This is what you get, along with the wings, nacelles and control surfaces. Next you see what the kit can look like with a little work. I used some light weight Spackle to fill some sanding divots.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 03:57 PM
United States, MD, Montgomery Village
Joined Aug 2012
256 Posts
Everything is lookin good! will be receiving the mosquito kit on Monday. Ill post some pics up of it and give it a good quality rating based upon customer visualization.
Thanks Bryan!! Will be looking forward to the other models.
OneS4Avant2envy is offline Find More Posts by OneS4Avant2envy
Old Oct 03, 2014, 05:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, York
Joined Jul 2013
179 Posts
Just ordered a handley page Halifax looking forward to this
Thanks Bryan
carre55 is offline Find More Posts by carre55
Old Oct 03, 2014, 06:31 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Feb 2012
35 Posts
Be-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman1980 View Post
Here you see the fuse kit of the BE-200 Float plane cut and ready for shipping, minus the wings and stabs though. But ordering a kit (90.00) foam basic without me building it for you, This is what you get, along with the wings, nacelles and control surfaces. Next you see what the kit can look like with a little work. I used some light weight Spackle to fill some sanding divots.
Hi,

Just came upon your kits and I'm finding the BE-200 is definitely of interest for a winter project. Just this summer I went flying with some buddies at the one's Dad's place, and he gave me a "Flight Journal" that highlighted a BE-200 among other Sea monsters . Was toying with the scale to go with and whether I'd have the gumption to fool around with foam to do this...but it seems your kit will be a much better route to go with.

So does this kit also fall into the 1000mm + fuse length? From the picture you have, it seems to be in the 1 meter range. I have 2- 80mm EDF's that I think would go well with this, but I'm not sure (perhaps?) if it would work with what you have? What are the full specs on your BE-200? (Length, Wingspan, power system you were thinking for the size nacelle you made...?)

Ok, lookin' good then - thanks for your time...
Mark
Avnxman80 is offline Find More Posts by Avnxman80