HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:13 PM
Joined Jul 2014
7 Posts
Help!
Super Cub Faulty Rudder Control

I am really sorry to open up another thread in such little amount of time, but I instantly got a new problem after I solved the one with the spinner:

Sometimes (strangely not everytime) my plane executes the commands to move the rudders or to throttle up but reverses them after a second or so. Then, also other rudders are affected. I already rebound my plane to my transmitter and the issue keeps happening...

Video of it if you dont know what I mean

Again, sorry to bother you, don't know why im having so much trouble before I even had my proper maiden flight...

Thank you
recron is offline Find More Posts by recron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
909 Posts
Geez, this is something new. I've never heard this problem discussed. Never seen anything like it.

Hope you get your answer soon.
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:52 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,097 Posts
call Horizon.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:38 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
565 Posts
Very strange indeed.

Not only are the servos reversing, but it is acting as if there is a mix between the rudder and elevator.

Do you know anyone with a compatible transmitter, or is there a Local Hobby Shop? Try binding your SC to another transmitter to see if the problem is your transmitter (probably not). But, there are several dip switches on the front of yours. It would be a real coincidence for the Tx to be the culprit, considering that you had a crash, but sometimes coincidences do happen.

Definitely call HH. Their customer service is superb. The more information you can give them the more help they can be. Sure, you crashed. But maybe THIS is why you crashed?
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Jul 28, 2014, 01:06 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,351 Posts
Weird! Agree, call Horizon.
Personally I'm betting it's the TX.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:28 AM
Joined Jul 2014
7 Posts
I don't have another transmitter (as I said Im a beginner) and in Germany there aren't any Horizon Hobby stores, my plane was an import from America. Lets see what the support says about my problem.
Thanks for all the replies.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:03 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,865 Posts
It looks to me that you have the transmitter set to "beginner" mode and when you are giving full deflection of the control surfaces, SAFE is trying to correct your inputs. Does the same thing happen if you move the stick only half way instead of all the way? It could be that the crash damaged the SAFE system. What happens if you set the transmitter in the "Intermediate" and "Advanced" positions?
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:16 PM
Comic Art Collector
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
It looks to me that you have the transmitter set to "beginner" mode and when you are giving full deflection of the control surfaces, SAFE is trying to correct your inputs. Does the same thing happen if you move the stick only half way instead of all the way? It could be that the crash damaged the SAFE system. What happens if you set the transmitter in the "Intermediate" and "Advanced" positions?
This may not mean anything, but the colors on the plane aren't correct for one of the current SAFE models of the Super Cub. Everything should be Red, not Blue. Could the remote being in beginner mode (as you pointed out) be sending goofy signals to the receiver if it's not a SAFE receiver, causing the issues?
DrewC is offline Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2014
7 Posts
The plane has a switch on the transmitter which is called ACT for Anticrash-System. The receiver has also two outputs to the optical lenses for ACT. However, the problem occurs both when I turn on or off the system.

Don't get me wrong , this happens sometimes, not everytime I start the plane and the transmitter up. I may have crashed the first time because I didn't know that I was having this issue, but now i can just seperate and reconnect the flight battery to the plane until it works. I just don't know if its save to fly with it although its working momentarily...
Last edited by recron; Jul 28, 2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:19 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,097 Posts
ACT - best left off permanently (and disconnected) - could not be causing this if you already turned it off. this also confirms that your plane is the non SAFE cub, as Drew stated.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:09 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,351 Posts
ACT = Assured Crash Technology.
Complete crap - pull the plugs out of the ESC. It does no good and lots of harm.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:20 PM
Comic Art Collector
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by recron View Post
The plane has a switch on the transmitter which is called ACT for Anticrash-System. The receiver has also two outputs to the optical lenses for ACT. However, the problem occurs both when I turn on or off the system.

Don't get me wrong , this happens sometimes, not everytime I start the plane and the transmitter up. I may have crashed the first time because I didn't know that I was having this issue, but now i can just seperate and reconnect the flight battery to the plane until it works. I just don't know if its save to fly with it although its working momentarily...
Ahhh, ok, so that's an older ACT DX4e transmitter.

Yeah, disconnect the ACT crap and see if that helps.
DrewC is offline Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Aug 01, 2014, 10:59 AM
Joined Jul 2014
7 Posts
Great success...

Thank you for all your help, seems like I don't need it anymore.
Old Aug 01, 2014, 11:49 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,097 Posts
that is nothing. the tail is a known weak point for the Cub (and a few other taildraggers). easy fix with epoxy/CA.

did you call Horizon customer service as was advised earlier, or did you just try to fly without fixing the problem?
Old Aug 01, 2014, 11:58 AM
Joined Jul 2014
7 Posts
Horizon doesnt have a hotline here, just an email, and they told me to rebind the plane again (which I did before twice). However this was my fault, the plane was working before I started.

Not just the tail is broken, also the string leading from the servos to the rudder and elevator are broken, same with the front plastic part. And I have no interest in shipping the replacemnts from the US to here again. I already wasted 160 €.