HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
yes it fits fine, I did have to enlarge the pin hole one size bigger to fit, I do not consider it a big mod but I some some people may. I understand they do offer 6 mm and 8mm shoulder width, I only ever saw the 6mm here at local HS. Aeronata props do not fit, the shoulder is too short and prop will not close , so Aluminum spinner is a must with these. I did try the carbon fiber props from Hobby King on another glider, I find them pretty good, again you need a replacement spinner for them, the plastic ones are crap , they throw blades!
Size wise 10/8 with original motor, improves climb noticeably, it is excellent upgrade. 11/8 will not make so much more difference then 10/8, but will use up more amps. I do not use stock ESC but when I did, I did not like to stress it too much, it is minimal for the application especially the BEC in it, so I would suggest 10/8.
I have switched to Eflite park 480 1020kv, motor and that one works very well with 11/8, accelerates past the standard Radian with 11/8 quite noticeably. It is NOT equivalent to the stock 480 OEM motors they put into so many of their kits. It is not even same size, it is made much better with more power. However the bolt pattern is much smaller so you have to use the aluminum adapter available for the Radian. Positive side, it is also lighter then the original motor.
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj View Post
Will the graupner prop fold in ok? It looks a little shorter in the hinge area in the photos I've seen. Is it a direct replacement without any mods? Thinking of ordering the 11x8 for some more climbing power to get me out of a jam like what happened recently in the wind. Or would you all recommend the 10x8?
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
I have switched to Eflite park 480 1020kv, motor ... However the bolt pattern is much smaller so you have to use the aluminum adapter available for the Radian.
Where is this available?
kenironside is offline Find More Posts by kenironside
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:33 AM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenironside View Post
Where is this available?
Smallpartscnc.com has them. Here is the specific motor mount for the Radian/Rad Pro.

They are US$15.95 + US$2.00 shipping (within the US).

I'm not affiliated with smallpartscnc, just a satisfied customer.

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Last edited by botulism; Dec 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:20 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Yes that is the adapter, extremely light, allows to use any motor with different bolt pattern in the Radian. Don't over power it, the nose design just cannot handle it for long!
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Thornlie, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
250 Posts
Short video of landing

Hi Guys,
Just a short video of landing on local park, showing how SLOW crow mode gets the Pro.

landing (0 min 25 sec)
Moby58 is online now Find More Posts by Moby58
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
For getting back from downwind, learning to use reflex and not being shy about putting the nose down to gain speed unpowered will help you there also, as well as speeding through sink to get back upwind on not too windy days. The plane has a lot of capabilities without using power you need to explore
+1

With your programming, select FM1 (center position) with AUX2 switch Up, lower the nose a bit, then add a few clicks of nose down trim to fly at reflex mode optimum airspeed.

If you end up requiring power, start around 1/2 and work up, rather than jumping straight to WOT. It's wings, tail and fuse are flexible, sudden blasts of WOT can become a handful when control surfaces develop a mind of their own.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
+1

If you end up requiring power, start around 1/2 and work up, rather than jumping straight to WOT. It's wings, tail and fuse are flexible, sudden blasts of WOT can become a handful when control surfaces develop a mind of their own.
I think this is exactly what happened. I didn't go straight to WOT, but 1/2 seemed to do nothing then I went to about 80% and lost it.
campbellj is offline Find More Posts by campbellj
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:41 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
I think this is exactly what happened. I didn't go straight to WOT, but 1/2 seemed to do nothing then I went to about 80% and lost it.
and switching to the CF replacement spar can help some with this. This plane is simply not a hotliner. The 11x8 prop I use doesn't stress the airframe the way I use it, it just allows me to climb out steeper at a similar speed
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
This plane is definitely not a hotliner, and it's quite the handful to try to make it fly level at max throttle. At that speed, the elevator is over sensitive and that contributes to the "wing flapping" that many people see. Max throttle is just for going up at a steep angle.

Replacing FG with CF in the wings and tail still won't turn it into a hotliner, but it will turn it into a better glider. When it comes to doing battle with the wind, I never use throttle and rarely use ballast. Ballast makes it easier, but I enjoy the challenge of flying a light plane in a heavy wind.

The stiffer airframe makes it easier to "work" it into the wind, and I get a kick out of hovering it in one spot and slowly bringing it down for a vertical landing. Of course, if there's no wind and some lift happening, that's fun too.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
This plane is definitely not a hotliner, and it's quite the handful to try to make it fly level at max throttle. At that speed, the elevator is over sensitive and that contributes to the "wing flapping" that many people see. Max throttle is just for going up at a steep angle.

Replacing FG with CF in the wings and tail still won't turn it into a hotliner, but it will turn it into a better glider. When it comes to doing battle with the wind, I never use throttle and rarely use ballast. Ballast makes it easier, but I enjoy the challenge of flying a light plane in a heavy wind.

The stiffer airframe makes it easier to "work" it into the wind, and I get a kick out of hovering it in one spot and slowly bringing it down for a vertical landing. Of course, if there's no wind and some lift happening, that's fun too.
Yea I'm definitely not trying to make it a hotliner, I would like it to actually go slower lol. Being a beginner I just don't want to get in that position downwind anymore, so until I learn the skills necessary to keep that from happening without the motor, I was hoping the bigger prop and plane reinforcements would help keep me up wind as needed until I get more gliding experience.

I actually love to fight heavy wind with my other plane and have landed it harrier style countless times. It's challenging to me also. I've got a bunch of good tips from you guys though that I definitely plan to use in future flights. I wish I would have known before, but oh well live and learn.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
Quote:
I would like it to actually go slower lol.
I understand. It wouldn't actually be that hard to get a set of Radian wings to fit on there. That would make it slower, float longer, and be more relaxing to fly. After flying the Pro almost every day for 8 months, I got a Radian and love it. It gets more air time than the RP now.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I understand. It wouldn't actually be that hard to get a set of Radian wings to fit on there. That would make it slower, float longer, and be more relaxing to fly. After flying the Pro almost every day for 8 months, I got a Radian and love it. It gets more air time than the RP now.
I was actually looking at radians today to buy. I'm really considering it as of now, they seem to be just a different animal all together so to me it wouldn't be like having 2 of "almost" the same plane.

On another note, I got my wings finished up tonight and ready for flight again. I sanded down the leading edges a little better and got some decent packing tape today to cover the leading edges. The other packing tape I had was too thin and would wrinkle too easy, so this stuff was thicker and didnt wrinkle at all. The damage that was there is almost unnoticeable now unless your looking for it

I also finally found a CF arrow shaft and got that laid in the tail boom. Still waiting on it to dry though. I sunk it far enough so I can recover it with white tape and make it unnoticeable. I also put a CF rod up in the vertical stab, but it can't be seen.

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:06 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
Quote:
I was actually looking at radians today to buy. I'm really considering it as of now, they seem to be just a different animal all together so to me it wouldn't be like having 2 of "almost" the same plane.
Correct they are very different animals, and each can do things the other one can't do. For anybody who can afford both, I would say go for it. Good job on the mods.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:48 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
967 Posts
I have found my RP will not balance level along the nose to tail axis and falls to the right. The effect of this is the plane needs left aileron trim to stop it turning right. It was the same under power or gliding. I have weighted the left wing with 4 grammes of lead to get it to balance and this has corrected the tendency to turn right. Anyone else had this problem. Initially I was playing with the alignment of the ailerons making sure they were in line along the trailing edge but this did not make a difference. It is funny I had the same problem with a Blaze and this prompted me to check the RP.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:50 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I have found my RP will not balance level along the nose to tail axis and falls to the right. The effect of this is the plane needs left aileron trim to stop it turning right. It was the same under power or gliding. I have weighted the left wing with 4 grammes of lead to get it to balance and this has corrected the tendency to turn right. Anyone else had this problem. Initially I was playing with the alignment of the ailerons making sure they were in line along the trailing edge but this did not make a difference. It is funny I had the same problem with a Blaze and this prompted me to check the RP.
lateral balance makes more of a difference than people realize and the problem with "trimming it out with aileron" is that the fix is only good at one speed. go faster and the trim is more effective and it goes beyond what is needed and slow down and it isn't enough. If the surfaces are neutral, the speed won't change the trim
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...