New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:25 AM
Find More Posts by Jdo300
Joined Feb 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
EDF Jet fan data

Hello All,

I am new to the field of EDF jets and am currently working on a new aerodynamic design using SolidWorks and Flow SImulation for aerodynamics testing. For my computer model, I can enter data for a fan that I would like to use for the thrust of my models, and I'm wondering if there are any good brand EDF manufacturers who provide a lot of technical data on their fans? Specifically, I'm looking for a curve that plots the volumetric flow rate of air vs. pressure difference created by the fan. With this information, I can create a model of the fan for simulation purposes. Would anyone have any recommendations for the best manufacturers to contact for such information?

Any help/tips greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Jason O
Jdo300 is offline Find More Posts by Jdo300
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2015, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
22,218 Posts
Fans don't really make much pressure.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 27, 2015, 02:11 AM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,856 Posts
The information your seeking, has not, nor probably ever will be made public. There are so many different fans, diameters, blade counts,and pitches you've got quite a project ahead of you.

In general, no body real cares about that- Some buy there fans for the sound, or quality, -price, and a number of other reasons.

But if you want a good fan to work with, and who has posted about as much info as you will find - Is the Jetfan by E-Jets.. Rainer has done more extensive testing to date, than any one else . And posted results.
His 90mm fan, is one of the most popular.

Amps, Watts, and thrust are generally what most are concerned with.. FYI-- his tests are made with an intake ring and open exhaust ( no thrust tube)

See his results here:--http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumbgallery.php?t=1504718&do=threadgallery

start at about 1/2 page down-- results from his V2 version. That's about as much info as you'll find on any fan.--Have fun.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdo300 View Post
Hello All,

I am new to the field of EDF jets and am currently working on a new aerodynamic design using SolidWorks and Flow SImulation for aerodynamics testing. For my computer model, I can enter data for a fan that I would like to use for the thrust of my models, and I'm wondering if there are any good brand EDF manufacturers who provide a lot of technical data on their fans? Specifically, I'm looking for a curve that plots the volumetric flow rate of air vs. pressure difference created by the fan. With this information, I can create a model of the fan for simulation purposes. Would anyone have any recommendations for the best manufacturers to contact for such information?

Any help/tips greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Jason O
AIR SALLY and CoolerByTheLake are both correct. And they know what they are talking about.

And unless you are going to try and beat the current experienced and good manufacturers (which is very unlikely as you had to ask where to find data) your 'computer modeling' is completely pointless anyway.

Why pointless? Because if you want to build and fly EDF toy planes just turn off your computer, buy a fan, and do it.

Also. When you exclude the 'rubbish' fans there is very little performance difference between fans. Matching the correct motor and number of cells used to the fan you have chosen is far more important than the finer points of fan design.

HOWEVER, you might follow the Richard Sharman and Klaus Scharnhorst links from here -

http://www.southamptonmac.org.uk/edf_discussion_36.html

Dr Richard Sharman in particular has access to computers likely a thousand times more powerful than yours and knows how to work them. He flies cheap foamy EDFs and fits the fans provided
Mark Powell is online now Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Feb 28, 2015 at 01:01 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)