New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2015, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by CarToon
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
I didn't find one. But there should be one out there..

I used the stock retract and strut, moved the mount forward (that resulted in the retract action moving backward instead of forward) and put a steering arm on the strut and linked that to a servo via a control rod and clevis for better, more positive, steering.
Do you have a photo of that?

Thanks,
Marty
CarToon is online now Find More Posts by CarToon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Mantamuzza
Joined Sep 2013
89 Posts
Excellent will check out the eflite first as I am not that great with mods.
Mantamuzza is offline Find More Posts by Mantamuzza
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Joined Aug 2009
2,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarToon View Post
Do you have a photo of that?

Thanks,
Marty
No, sorry I don't. But here is a representative one of my F-35 except here I had room for a servo in front of the retract. HK has steering arm retracts if you want to go that way or you can just add the right kind of steering arm
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:20 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,827 Posts
Thanks!
Old Jul 02, 2015, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by lordmureth
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Hobbyking order-the vixen or the vampire-discuss!
Vampire needs less airspace, better for smaller areas - but trickier to handlaunch unless it's windy - and less affected by wind once in the air.

Vixen is much easier to handlaunch, but needs a lot more sky to look "scale" in - and has a tendancy to "snake" in higher windspeeds.

Get both; but if pushed I'd say the Vixen
lordmureth is offline Find More Posts by lordmureth
Old Jul 02, 2015, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by aspyrs
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmureth View Post
Vampire needs less airspace, better for smaller areas - but trickier to handlaunch unless it's windy - and less affected by wind once in the air.

Vixen is much easier to handlaunch, but needs a lot more sky to look "scale" in - and has a tendancy to "snake" in higher windspeeds.

I have both, but I fly in a fairly small space, bordered by various horrors (High tension power lines/trees/street lamps) plus I have an aircraft carrier like runway length (without the arrester/trap gear) I favour the Vixen mainly because of the easier/slower approach speed, lack of Vampire extended glide and lack of 'bounce' on landing (I have oleos on both aircraft)
Just my two bobs worth.
aspyrs is offline Find More Posts by aspyrs
Old Jul 02, 2015, 05:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,827 Posts
Quote:

I put CF strips in the booms, and it cut down on the waggle quite a bit. Leaving the wing tanks and ordinance on seems to stabilize it also.

The Vixen is very easy to land. You almost have to work at it to make it land badly. It is my first jet, and I am now hooked.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,566 Posts
There is bound to be differences in even how the one person sets up, builds, the two jets. The AUW and power.
The bottom line is that the Sea Vixen is a 'bigger' jet. Not by a lot, but is has more 'volume', as the real one was bigger than the Vampire too. It was also a bigger more 'lumbering' jet, so in full scale it needs more airspace too - not that they have any 'small' area they have to stay within like when we fly models. But thus the model of it needs some more airspace too.

Landing, as was mentioned in a previous post, can almost swing the 'needs' problem back to a lead by the Sea Vixen! Because the Vampire glides so far, and thus a longer landing process. Though both can be made to land slower and shorter intentionally - just not as short for the Vampire, even if it is a 'heavy' one.

A rough guess, you want about 150m radius to fly them around in a manner as per realistic full scale - so you are not constantly 'turning', but even that will only buy you a second or few of 'straight' time. And a good approach/landing length (if you do a standard base leg and turn to final type landing). But you could fit them within 100metres.
Something like four soccer fields joined as 2x2 - and if you flew from only one soccer field you would be flying it well outside the boundaries of that.

The Vampire is a lot more sedate and docile - as good as a T-28 trainer, or many trainers. Yet it still looks great as a jet, and sounds great.... so it easily trumps the Sea Vixen as 'perfect' in every way.
Vampire 10/10
Sea Vixen 8.5/10
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Old Jul 02, 2015, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by StarHopper44
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
6,859 Posts
Quote:

I'd say Vixen even without being pushed. That Vampire is just hairy-butt ugly!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2015, 02:33 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,827 Posts
I haven't flown the Vampire, but I give the Vixen at least a 9. It was also a good deal, especially for the sale price I paid of just over $120, shipped.
Old Jul 04, 2015, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Joined Aug 2009
2,941 Posts
The Vampire flies very nicely. A real classic.
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Jul 04, 2015, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,566 Posts
Yes, the Sea Vixen is more impressive.... nicer bolder colouring.... pointier and more 'evil'.... hehe
Plus the big swept wings.....
But in flying terms it is not a clean/pure as the Vampire.
One is pretty much a full on Trainer result (Vampire) with pretty well perfect flight manner, and the other is a "very well behaved jet" (Sea Vixen). So they are both great jets - with just a small difference in outcome.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Old Jul 04, 2015, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by FISHTROUT
Joined Oct 2013
126 Posts
I've had my Sea Vixen for 2 yrs now. It, along with my FMS Mustang 51B model were the only two planes I kept from selling through the past 2 yrs. I really enjoy flying the Sea Vixen. Its very fun and stable. One of the first things I did when I bought it was redo the landing gear and upgrade the wheels to a 2.25" Dia wheel to fill out the main wells. I then used one of the original main wheels on the front. Bent all new gear for stock lengths to fit the new wheels.
I just bought the replacement kit for it to renew its body and looks. Also purchased some upgraded landing gear from HK to put a p roper set of gear on it..

on a side Note I also have the 50" Sea vixen balsa Kit from traplet.com Its Phil Noel design
I cant wait to get into it. But will be some time as I have other projects to finish
FISHTROUT is offline Find More Posts by FISHTROUT