New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by n00b-E
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
699 Posts
Well it's that time of year (the time the pellet gun was purchased for), the mourning doves are trying to roost and the eurasian collared doves (invasive species) are trying to run them off. Hunting license purchased a week ago, so it's time for a little pest control.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by Punkie
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
673 Posts
You need a licence to cull pest animals?

In the UK there is the general licence, you do not need to apply, but you stick to the guidelines in them.
http://basc.org.uk/shooting/general-licences/

If I want to shoot the pigeons or other pest animals in the marina, so long as I have permision from the owner and I shoot in a safe manner, I am free to do so.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by n00b-E
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
You need a licence to cull pest animals?

In the UK there is the general licence, you do not need to apply, but you stick to the guidelines in them.
http://basc.org.uk/shooting/general-licences/

If I want to shoot the pigeons or other pest animals in the marina, so long as I have permision from the owner and I shoot in a safe manner, I am free to do so.
Not on my own property, but I plan on transporting them to give to a buddy whose family likes them. THATS where it could get sticky, and since I'll need one in September anyhow, I just buy it when I get my fishing license. Better safe than sorry.

But generally speaking, if you're doing pest control you don't need a license. FPr example, if I was to shoot prairie dogs on public land, I'd need a license. But when I'm doing it on my friends ranch, I don't because I'm considered to be contracted for pest control.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
277 Posts
The pack rat we executed and left out for the hawks and vultures....
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 25, 2015, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by seanpcola
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,097 Posts
Well, my predators (coyotes) disappeared finally without my help. Some people finally bought the house and 15 acres that backs up to my property. They brought their 3 German Sheppards with them and I agreed to open up a small section of fence between us. Now the "guys" can roam freely on my property too. They're having a fantastic time, the yotes are gone and I gained some really cool loaner dogs. Got a schedule going with the owner so I'm feeding them too. Also, I gained two cats in the deal.

So, no more wild animals thanks to the dogs and probably no more venomous snakes because of the cats. Win-win and I never had to fire a shot.

But, I do want to start shooting my pellet gun again. I thought I was gonna get a serious tune up for my pellet rifle from my private gun smith but he had to cancel his trip down to these parts. Isn't that right 56S.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Apr 25, 2015, 06:04 PM
56S
Find More Posts by 56S
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Well, my predators (coyotes) disappeared finally without my help. Some people finally bought the house and 15 acres that backs up to my property. They brought their 3 German Sheppards with them and I agreed to open up a small section of fence between us. Now the "guys" can roam freely on my property too. They're having a fantastic time, the yotes are gone and I gained some really cool loaner dogs. Got a schedule going with the owner so I'm feeding them too. Also, I gained two cats in the deal.

So, no more wild animals thanks to the dogs and probably no more venomous snakes because of the cats. Win-win and I never had to fire a shot.

But, I do want to start shooting my pellet gun again. I thought I was gonna get a serious tune up for my pellet rifle from my private gun smith but he had to cancel his trip down to these parts. Isn't that right 56S.
That and I'm too busy shooting the new LGU. Man, I like that gun.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jun 16, 2015, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by Punkie
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
673 Posts
Don't you hate it when someone trys something of yours and it packs up?

It has happened twice, both pistols, both my expensive ones!!

First the Steyr, a new guy was down the range and we were lending him guns to try and I laid my steyr on the counter for him to have a look at, I carried on shooting emptying the mag on the Enigma while another club member picked up the Steyr and showed the guy how to load it.
It didn't fire, then or after some fiddling, we removed the pellet, which I found was inserted backwards! and packed it away.

Duiring the week I had a look at it, but there was nothing obviously wrong, even with the grip off and the mechanics exposed, so I phoned Harry Preston the Steyr importer and had a series of discusions with him about what it could be, in the end I posted it to him, (the post office went quiet when after asking for the 1000 insurance special delivery service I was asked what was in the package "a gun" he looked at me quizzically and I said "Air pistol" and smiled.)
The next afternoon he phoned me to tell me it had arrived and he had sorted it out. the sear pivot pin had seized, the first time he had seen that happen in many years of working on Steyr guns.

He had replaced the pin, polished and lubed the hole in the sear, then he had serviced the rest of the mechanics, set the trigger to the weights used by most of the national and international shooters he supplies and charged me 23 + VAT for the privilege.
He was also able to supply the recommended pellets, JSB match light weights, so I ordered 5000 of those, the whole lot, including return postage, 110.
All done in a week and cost less than buying 5000 pellets at local prices, or rather the ones I had been using.

It is working nicely again.

Then I had to lend a gun to a mate who has a pigeon problem, small garden, with just fields all around, lent him my Brocock Atomic, I had to show him how to use it, he had it a week and phoned me, it jammed, exactly the same, cock it, pull trigger, nothing.

Took it home, it is a good gun, just not as good as the Steyr accuracy wise, powerful, well, up to the legal limit for a UK airpistol and .22 so it has enough stopping power for rats and pigeons at closeish range and stripped the grip off and had a good look, nothing wrong with the trigger mechanism, must be the hammer or valve, well I could hear the hammer striking, so it must be the valve.

A friend who does a bit of work on airguns told me once that some precharged guns are a little bit lacking in lube in the valve mechanism and get sticky, I had found this on my Gamo compact, that had been inconsistant, but with a strip and lube it changed to a nice gun, so I sprayed some Bisley silicon oil in to the back of the mechanism.

Then worked it a bit, after a few tries it started working again.

So it was down the range on sunday and after sighting them in, it was back to good shooting again.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie