New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2015, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Joined Aug 2006
1,591 Posts
Discussion
Midwest Fantail Inbound - Questions

Just ordered a Midwest Fantail Steam Launch! I was inspired by an Indiana Jones themed launch build I saw here a few years back and am keeping that in my mind for my attempt. I'm not exactly sure the final direction I want to go but have a few questions to start.

I haven't ordered the Midwest steam engine yet as I'm considering building a dummy steam plant to cover an electric set up. Maybe this could be removeable to swap out for live steam, but I'm unsure what I want. Any thoughts on going electric over steam on this?

Also, I need a small building board for this one. What would work that's readily available at a Lowe's or Home Depot? Would a piece of blue insulation foam work?

Does anyone know the scale of this boat? 1/10, 1/8?

Any other tips greatly appreciated!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2015, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,418 Posts
The scale is 1:12 or what is known as "dollhouse scale".

A good building board would be a flat slab of particle board or plywood, like 5/8" or so. Something as flat as possible. You could also use something like a Fair-A-Frame...

Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old May 19, 2015, 01:58 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,418 Posts
A dummy steam power plant that hides an electric motor would be a good choice. Maybe even add a smoke generator for the sake of appearances.

With an actual steam engine, or the Midwest steam engine, there's no reverse. Forward only.
Old May 19, 2015, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by SailorGreg
United Kingdom, Hampshire
Joined Jan 2013
136 Posts
Electric will also allow you to drive around for (nearly) as long as you like. The Midwest steam plant will give you 10 minutes or so before you need to refill the boiler. Which of those is the better choice is entirely up to you!
SailorGreg is offline Find More Posts by SailorGreg
Old May 19, 2015, 02:25 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
The scale is 1:12 or what is known as "dollhouse scale".

A good building board would be a flat slab of particle board or plywood, like 5/8" or so. Something as flat as possible.
Thanks! Dollhouse scale sounds like I can find lots of bits to finish off the boat with. I'm thinking a Frank Buck theme with a bunch of cages full of small animals collected on a jungle river trip.

Maybe the store can cut a piece of board for me. Where I am now the biggest power tool I have is a Dremel.
Old May 19, 2015, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,591 Posts
Quote:
A dummy steam power plant that hides an electric motor would be a good choice. Maybe even add a smoke generator for the sake of appearances.

With an actual steam engine, or the Midwest steam engine, there's no reverse. Forward only.
Yes, a smoke generator like I would guess a model railroader would use. Will have to see what's out there.
Old May 19, 2015, 02:31 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorGreg View Post
Electric will also allow you to drive around for (nearly) as long as you like. The Midwest steam plant will give you 10 minutes or so before you need to refill the boiler. Which of those is the better choice is entirely up to you!
I live on a big lake so it would be nice not to have to swim or get a canoe to rescue the boat too often, so electric is better for that but lacks the charm of steam.

I'm guessing a small brushless would be enough to run this, but then do I have to worry about cooling? It isn't speed I'm after here.
Old May 19, 2015, 02:45 PM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
Yes, a smoke generator like I would guess a model railroader would use. Will have to see what's out there.
There's several kinds available out there to include the inexpensive smokers included with the 1/16 RC tanks--those run off 7.2V at the most.

Some good options HERE.
Old May 19, 2015, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,591 Posts
If going the electric motor route, any suggestions for a small (inexpensive) brushless and prop combo?
Old May 20, 2015, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by chum444
...man wants his boat
United States, MA, Woods Hole
Joined Aug 2012
999 Posts
FA;
I did a modified build of the FTL. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2190362. I did it as an electric version. I found that fitting the motor, rudder servo, esc, battery, & rx was quite a challenge. Just not much freeboard and beam to work with. John Fryant did another version of the FTL and described it in Ships in Scale magazine. He took the approach you are contemplating, built it as an electric with a realistic but non-working steam engine. Search this forum for some of John's posts. Sadly the FTL is not one of them due to contractural terms with S in S. He also constructed quite a novel smoke generator.

Be sure to post pics as you progress.

chum444 is offline Find More Posts by chum444
Old May 20, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,198 Posts
Some ammo for making the electric version...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLDHT6MKJ3Yome

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 20, 2015, 10:58 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,591 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I'll be able to hide some of the electronics in the dummy boiler.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,418 Posts
Why brushless? An old, "out of date" brushed motor would seem to me to be the answer here both for scale speed and endurance.

Are there no fittings included? I would suggest a nice Raboesch prop in whatever size fits, maybe a 3-blade 146 type:

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Why brushless? An old, "out of date" brushed motor would seem to me to be the answer here both for scale speed and endurance.

Are there no fittings included? I would suggest a nice Raboesch prop in whatever size fits, maybe a 3-blade 146 type:

I have a couple brushless motors on hand (though probably wrong for the boat) but have no issue using a brushed motor. If you can reccomend one, especially one as physically small as possible, that would be a help!

There are fittings that include a decent looking 3-blade plastic/nylon prop.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,850 Posts

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon