SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2014, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by subpixel
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Dec 2007
1,111 Posts
Mini-Review
Subpixel's HiSKY HCP100S 6CH Dual Brushless Micro Heli Review

Courtesy of Banggood and available to buy as a BNF for $89.99 here or from the US warehouse for $82.79 using code bgw002 here
or as a ReadyToFly package with either the H-6 Transmitter for $114.99 or the X-6S Transmitter for $122.99
Spare parts are also available at banggood

Any coupon codes that may work can be found here

------

A quick look at HiSKY's most powerful heli and next step up from the HCP100

The new cardboard packing

Specifications sticker on the box

Inside the box we find the HCP100s, a small CD with the manual on it, the battery and an accessory pack

1st impression upon removing it from the box are that it is very solid feeling, straight away you notice how there is a lot less flex with the tail and mainframe unlike on the HCP100 where it flexes quite a lot, this just feels nice and solid.

The accessory pack contains
-Green main blades
-Spare tail blade
-Full set of linkage rods from servos to swash and swash to head
-Feathering shaft
-What looks like a full set of Screws along with a Screw driver & hex key
-2 double sided sticky foam pads
-Canopy grommets

A visual tour

The double decker PCB with RX/FC ontop and ESC on bottom

Tail boom, secured with a screw at both ends

The main motor screw holes allow for the gear mesh to be adjusted, you can also see the screw that prevents the gear from slipping off.
That screw is a standard M2x3mm so pretty easy to find if you manage to loose the 2 included, the shaft is also threaded deeper so a M3x4mm and maybe even a M2x5mm will also fit. Putting some thread lock on this screw would be a good idea .
The main gear, being the same as the HCP100 will probably be the part you most often need to replace when you crash, thankfully it is really cheap.

Looking closer at the main motor plugs and wiring you can also see a potential issue and something you will need to check as one of the screws for the board can come into contact with the wiring and if yours is placed in there wrong it could end up damaging the wiring over time.

Both motors use these small pin connectors which are far too easy to unplug and certainly for the tail unnecessary where a smaller servo type/size plug would be more appropriate.

Probably the weakest aspect of the heli for me is the tail wiring as I'm not a fan of enamelled wiring for motors. Personally I would have preferred it if they had designed a plug into the end of the tail boom for it to simply plug into the frame or have a small plug rather than pins and have that placed in between the 2 rear servos, I will be doing that myself asap.

another possible weak point is where the enamel wires are able to rub on the servo, not sure why they didn't at the very least heat shrink these wires?

Not really an issue but I'm not sure why they didn't design a wire channel into the tail plastics to hide and protect it there, not that likely to get damaged but it would have looked neater with them hidden.

Another thing to check is the antenna wire which could do with a blob of glue/silicone at the base to prevent it failing.

The Battery

This has less than ideal dimensions as I can find nothing comparable on hobbyking that will actually fit in the tray apart from the 300mah ones which I can't imagine will last that long in flight.

The battery tray will take batteries upto 21mm wide.

BG also sent me an upgrade battery and that turned up today, I'm not sure if/when they will be stocking this battery so I will ask them and find out.

Upgrade
Width 19mm wire end / 18mm body
Height 12.5mm
Length 68mm
Weight 28.27g

Stock
Width 19mm wire end / 18mm body
Height 12mm body / 13mm wire end
Length 61mm
Weight 25.76g

And comparing them on my SKYRC charger

Upgrade battery
-internal resistance of 73MΩ
-Discharged at 3a to 3.3v 441mAh
-resting voltage 10mins after discharge 6.77v
-Charging at 0.5a put in 443mAh

Stock battery
-internal resistance of 115Ω
-Discharged at 3a to 3.3v 428mAh *was somewhat unbalanced so need to retest to check
-resting voltage 10mins after discharge 7v (3.4v/3.6v)
-Charging at 0.5a put in 442mAh

Going from that test the upgrade battery does ok, it still remains to be seen how it performs in flight but assuming it is good and the price is lower than the stock it could be the one to buy.

Parts different to the HCP100
Canopy - holes in different places

HCP100 & HCP100S compatible parts
-Servos
-Swash
-Blade grips
-Rotor head and parts
-Main Blades
-Feathering shaft
-Swash to blade grip connecting links
-Main gear
-Main shaft bearings

As this is a BNF kit, What can you fly it with?
For the HiSKY H-6 and X-6S transmitters only the newly released versions will work. For the old version X-6S you can upgrade it with this board to make it compatible.

A deviated Devo Tx that has the NRF24L01 module installed will fly it as will any programmable Transmitter using the HiSKY HT-8 (v2 or v3) or WLtoys WL-T6 adapter.

And as I'm sure your all aware a DSMX satellite can also be plugged in although the HCP100S lacks the ability to bind it so you will need a DSMX RX to bind the satellite to your Tx to begin with.

The good
Strong, rigid frame
Shares plenty of parts with the HCP100
Looks good

The not so good
Tail motor wires are enamel - has been mitigated on latest batches as the wires are now heat shrinked
Spare batteries are expensive
Several exposed screw points could damage the enamel wires
Poor after market battery compatibility

The bad
Easily breaks main gear and blades

1st flight
I hereby rename it the "Blade Cracker" as this sucker does just that, not broken a single blade on my HCP100, dinged yes but still flyable, broke 1 blade and properly cracked another and it was a yellow one at that also noticed later that the main gear had split, all in just 1 flight on this. That said I was indoors and in far too small a room, it does show though that if you hit anything solid it will break something.

It is quieter than my brushless HCP100 but sounds much more menacing

Flying it with my Devo 10 and NRF24L01 module installed-
AIL, ELE and Pitch all needed reversing

subpixel is offline Find More Posts by subpixel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by subpixel; May 11, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2014, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,111 Posts
Reserved for stuff

Links:
Main discussion thread
MightyG's Review
dutchdrifting's HCP100S Unboxing and Review
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by subpixel; Jan 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by dadio
Joined Jan 2013
1,312 Posts
I have one of the 300mah battery's and I get 5 min flight out of it with no loss of performance ,must admit I have not tested voltage after flight but it remains cool ,I'm not too sure bigger is better for performance ,too early to tell as I have too few flights as yet.
Good review and contains more tech than others , hopeyou like how it fly's.
dadio is offline Find More Posts by dadio
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by joeclone
Joined Jan 2013
1,836 Posts
Sorry no offence, but seriously do we need yet another HCP100S review thread. Why can't you intergrate all your findings and stuff on one of the HCP100s threads like what Matrixflyer did which was really commendable and politely ask the OP of the thread to link your post on his first post.
joeclone is online now Find More Posts by joeclone
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by Shthawk79
Canada, QC, Levis
Joined Apr 2014
214 Posts
Could you confirm that the old H-6 works with the 100s ? because that is not what James said nor Banggood. Now I've got two H-6 and no heli yet
Shthawk79 is online now Find More Posts by Shthawk79
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shthawk79 View Post
Could you confirm that the old H-6 works with the 100s ? because that is not what James said nor Banggood. Now I've got two H-6 and no heli yet
doh looks like I'm wrong about that and only the new version H-6 will work, I got it confused with the HCP80 v2
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by dadio
Joined Jan 2013
1,312 Posts
There were a few people given a free heli from hisky for the purpose of reviewing it ,they are all obliged to publish a review ,it might be tidyer to have them all in one place but that's for the authers to agree on .
I like having a number of different reviews ,every review so far has had a slightly different flavour and focus .
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by Hugo Stiglitz
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2014
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclone View Post
Sorry no offence, but seriously do we need yet another HCP100S review thread. Why can't you intergrate all your findings and stuff on one of the HCP100s threads like what Matrixflyer did which was really commendable and politely ask the OP of the thread to link your post on his first post.
+1
If all these reviews would be merged chronologically in a single thread, with a link in the OP to each post containing a review, that would be great.
Info on the heli would be much much easier to find in case you need to look something up for some reason.
Can a moderator please do this? Including erdnuckel`s thread too. No review there just lolzy stuff.
Excellent review otherwise, lots of useful info, good job and thanks. And im loving the pictures, best of all so far.
Hugo Stiglitz is offline Find More Posts by Hugo Stiglitz
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by matrixFLYER
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
587 Posts
Very good review excellent and detailed images! This was the missing review!

It think that some links in the other HCP100S thread (in the first post) with all the review could be a good fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
I have one of the 300mah battery's and I get 5 min flight out of it with no loss of performance ,must admit I have not tested voltage after flight but it remains cool ,I'm not too sure bigger is better for performance ,too early to tell as I have too few flights as yet.
Good review and contains more tech than others , hopeyou like how it fly's.
35C or 45C lipo? With jst plug or umx plug?
matrixFLYER is offline Find More Posts by matrixFLYER
Old Dec 31, 2014, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by dadio
Joined Jan 2013
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixFLYER View Post
Very good review excellent and detailed images! This was the missing review!

It think that some links in the other HCP100S thread (in the first post) with all the review could be a good fix.

35C or 45C lipo? With jst plug or umx plug?
Its a 35c Giant power battery ,I know they don't have a good reputation for their micro lipo,s but I use them in airsoft gun's and they work well so hohefully these should be good as they are larger .it comes with the same plug as the stock hcp100s battery whatever type of plug that is ,actually I can just make out JST on it.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
+1
If all these reviews would be merged chronologically in a single thread, with a link in the OP to each post containing a review, that would be great.
Info on the heli would be much much easier to find in case you need to look something up for some reason.
Can a moderator please do this? Including erdnuckel`s thread too. No review there just lolzy stuff.
Excellent review otherwise, lots of useful info, good job and thanks. And im loving the pictures, best of all so far.
I didnt get a heli from BG for free, thats why you cant find a review there ...
AAAND of course because of the simple fact that I ordered "my" HCP100S on Dec.7 and still dont have it.
Throughout the threads you will see how people try to "console" me by stating how that it with BG's delivery times and the free shipping and all ...

...too bad I paid extra for better shipping - and it is not about DELIVERY time, it is about the fact that it is almost 4 weeks, and FOUR different tracking numbers, but NOTHING indicates that ANY kind of merchandise even moved an inch for me ... the lack of ANY trace of it throughout ALL the tracking systems I usually use suggests that NO package for me has even left the BG warehouse ... OR it "got lost" or stolen at china mail ... THREE times in a row ... yeah right ... ..

THAT is my whole gripe here ...

EDIT:
ALSO, nobody needs to be afraid, I WILL NOT do (yet) another review about this dreaded heli ... WHAT could possibly be the point in wasting my time on that, considering there are already several reviews about it, probably better than what I could still add ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2014, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by FyreSG
新加坡的飞儿
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
5,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio View Post
There were a few people given a free heli from hisky for the purpose of reviewing it ,they are all obliged to publish a review ,it might be tidyer to have them all in one place but that's for the authers to agree on .
I like having a number of different reviews ,every review so far has had a slightly different flavour and focus .
+1

Let the "market forces" decide which is the THE thread to follow. If we don't have time to follow all HCP100S, then don't follow all; pick the best one to follow. After some time, it will be clear which thread is the one.

There is always the subscribed threads section if you have no time to look at the main forum.

The forum would be dead and boring if each RC model only has one thread. The same applies to beginners posting threads asking for help. One could tell them to not create a new thread but to RTFM or STFW. And no, we don't do that because it is not against the rules.

There is absolutely nothing wrong to have multiple threads on the same product. Each reviewer has devoted significant effort in their review and the least they deserve is a thread dedicated to their review.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Last edited by FyreSG; Dec 31, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by Daryoon
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,293 Posts
Great pictures and info Subpixel. Lots of nitty gritty stuff I am always looking for when mixing and matching spare parts from different heli.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by Shthawk79
Canada, QC, Levis
Joined Apr 2014
214 Posts
@subpixel
Thanks for the clarification. The compatibility saga is confusing for the likes of me and also I guess I'm still a little frustrated that I had to buy a second H-6 not even a year after the first one was released. I actually gave the old one to my neighbour today along with two hcp100 so I stop looking at those two identical tx adding to the ridiculous amount of heli, quads, planes and spares that fill my room. Now I got two slots in the fleet for a pair of 100s
Shthawk79 is online now Find More Posts by Shthawk79
Old Jan 01, 2015, 12:08 AM
Find More Posts by Daryoon
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,293 Posts
Actually, HiSky is looking out for their customer. Please read James post, in particular the section about HiSky Users.

Currently, the X-6s upgrade board is available on BangGood. I think it was offered at .99cents and the guys ordering it is starting to get theirs. Very quickly I might add.

Hopefully the H6 upgrade board will be here soon. I am awaiting on one for myself as well. However, Devo 7e and Deviation is what I will be flying with even when I get the H6 upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSky_Official View Post
I see there is a tiny bit of confusion with regards to protocol... I'll explain it a little further:

Deviation users

Option 1: Use the NRF chip that you already use for your HiSKY helicopters, it's only a matter of updating the software (which I will contact Victor in the next few days to do).

Option 2: If you don't have the NRF chip soldered in, Deviate the transmitter and use the Spektrum protocol. You will need to purchase an OrangeRX/LemonRX/Spektrum satellite receiver and plug it into the helicopter's RX for this to work.

Spektrum users

Option 1: Like Daryoon stated, all you need is a LemonRX/OrangeRX/Spektrum DSMX compatible satellite receiver- bind it to your transmitter first, then connect it to your aircraft.

HiSKY users

Option 1: If you have the HT8 module, you're set!

Option 2: If you don't already have a HiSKY transmitter, you can purchase the RTF set, these transmitters run the new protocol.

Option 3: A board that you can replace into the current H-6 or X-6S is in the works at the moment and will be available shortly. Replace the board and it will support the new protocol

P.S. We were having some fun with the Phantom and the HCP100S yesterday... think we'll make a video
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon