Find More Posts by jonoashton
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windnergy View Post
Ripper video, great flying Jono, I miss your enthusiasm, keep 'em coming
Thanks John.
Got a great forcast for this weekend but tied up doing other things. Why is it that life gets in the way of DS ???
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2015, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by SlowMotion27
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2013
57 Posts
Neal and I went out to the coast on Sunday and got a few circuits in relatively light winds (started out about 15kts and got to about 22kts+)

The flax was good for dropping aircraft into, but Neal found a nice manuka tree to land the Sunbird in (no damage)

Speaking of the Sunbird Neal...it sounded like it had a bag of rocks knocking around in it's belly every time it went through the boundary layer...I had to stop the camera more than once, because I was laughing so hard at the sound of it.

I had the JW cruising along at just over 100mph (only got a slow flight on video though) and Neal got the Sunbird up aroung the 120mph mark.

It was a really fun session and great to get out on the slope again,

Roll on the winter winds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHqEwuR2p14

DS west coast auckland #2. 12/4/15 (2 min 3 sec)

PS. the second vid has a bit of frontside (huge lift coming up the cliff)
SlowMotion27 is offline Find More Posts by SlowMotion27
Last edited by SlowMotion27; Apr 14, 2015 at 06:17 AM. Reason: addition
Old May 09, 2015, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by taurineman
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
482 Posts
Today, we decided to try Long Gully as the wind was on the lighter side and NW and i am still getting over a nasty cold which would have been made worse trying to climb up to Ngaio. Upon getting there, we found ourselves having to pay for entry ($20 each) even though the farmer has previously let us in for free - he normally only charges for the dirt-bike riders. We decided to continue and Jono went to pay.

The air early on was pretty light and smooth. I got some good laps in with my Reaper getting 119. We tried different foamies over the day but nothing got over 126. I decided to try my carbon destiny and give it its maiden DS flight. It mostly lumbered around in the 110-120 range, and as good air went through i got it up to 148, but no more. Then back to the low 100s again.

As the day went on the wind must have turned more North, as it got pretty patchy and very inconsistent. We had a smack 60 furball, but before Jono joined in, a little bird came down and joined in the circuit with my Smack60. I couldnt quite tell if it was trying to scare my big bad foamie away, or whether it was joining in on the fun. Either way it was funny watching it DS with me...

Two birds (2 min 11 sec)

Carbon Destiny @148mph (1 min 45 sec)
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman