New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by jeep1990xj
United States, NJ, Washington
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Gallery
Guillows Fairchild 24 laser cut

This is my first post, I just wanted to show off my newest bird in the hanger. The Guillows Fairchild 24, kit# 701LC. Its converted to a 3 channel RET setup. I started building it about a year ago, I got about 90% complete then spring came and fishing got in the way of building. I finally picked it back up a week or two ago and finished it up. It uses the p-51 motor, gearbox and prop, a night vapor brick, and a 160mah single cell. pushrods are carbon fiber with heat shrink and really thin music wire. The airframe is all kit supplied wood, except where I had to make additional pieces for the conversion. The laser cut stuff was pretty nice compared to the older guillows kits, and I made no real attempt to lighten the framework. Covering is cheap red tissue from wallyworld applied with nitrate dope, pretty well slobbered with it actually, LOL. Looking back I should have used the supplied tissue as I ended up painting it anyway. The new tissue guillows is supplying is pretty decent. I did a few covering tests on some old beat-up airframes I had kicking around, it was easier to use with less wrinkles, it tightens up better and feels much stronger once finished. Final finish was some red and black testors put on mostly with an airbrush, wing struts and such were hand painted, they we're glued on bare after the airframe was painted and I just didn't feel like masking everything up again. Final weight (minus the battery I forgot to put in it) is 2 1/2 ounces, or 70 grams. As far as flying goes I was really surprised, she'll just float around on half throttle, control response at full throttle is a little twitchy cause of the prop wash but manageable. Landing is gravy, just cut power and let it be a guillows, don't touch the sticks till its almost on the ground, then give a gentle flare. I still can't believe how well everything turned out, I think the Fairchild was a good choice for the first crack at a guillows conversion, and I'm definitely sticking with laser cut stuff as much as I can.
jeep1990xj is offline Find More Posts by jeep1990xj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Nice job Jeep, on your little Guillows. Sounds like she's a nice flying plane.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by glewis
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
5,084 Posts
Welcome to rc groups and the wonderful addiction of converting Guillows kits!
Nice job and sounds like it flies very well too.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by jonquinn
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,397 Posts
Really nicely done and a good write up too
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by phillip57
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,652 Posts
What a delightful little model you have, thanks for posting!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,593 Posts
Nice one!

I just put it up on 'the list'

Cheers - Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Feb 14, 2014, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by jeep1990xj
United States, NJ, Washington
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments guys, and thanks for adding me to "the list". Must have browsed that list a hundred times. She's got about ten flight on her now. Been tough to get out flying, having one of the snowiest winters on record here in NJ. I did solve one of the biggest problems I've had with her. Transportation! Between narrow basement stairs, multiple doors, icy sidewalks, and a very threatening looking tailgate I've been more nervous trying to get it to the field than actually flying it. Figured I'd better do something before a door decides to try and eat a wing so I whipped this together the other night. Made with a few sheets of dollar tree foam and a bunch of foam packing material I saved from all my computer parts. Tossed in a few higher res pics of the plane too
jeep1990xj is offline Find More Posts by jeep1990xj
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by Mustang86
Joined Mar 2015
3 Posts
Jeep,
Beautiful job on you plane. I am currently building this same kit but only for display. This is the first kit in 30 years for me.
I have an extremely basic question regarding the sanding of the plane. This laser cut model has the markings for each of the ribs. Did you sand off the lettering? I started doing that and it seemed I had to make the ribs extremely thin to remove the markings. I have yet to find anyone else with this issue and curious how this is usually handled. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mustang86 is offline Find More Posts by Mustang86
Old Apr 04, 2015, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by coulee
I FLY ORANGE!
United States, SD, Tripp
Joined Jun 2009
392 Posts
Jeep, very nice plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang86 View Post
Jeep,
Beautiful job on you plane. I am currently building this same kit but only for display. This is the first kit in 30 years for me.
I have an extremely basic question regarding the sanding of the plane. This laser cut model has the markings for each of the ribs. Did you sand off the lettering? I started doing that and it seemed I had to make the ribs extremely thin to remove the markings. I have yet to find anyone else with this issue and curious how this is usually handled. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jeep, very nice plane.

Mustang, I had the same issue with my build (HERE - finished tonight). I finally gave up and let the tissue and paint more or less hide them.

Where are some pics of yours?

Ted
coulee is online now Find More Posts by coulee
Old Apr 05, 2015, 04:41 AM
Find More Posts by R31 Mark
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
I love it man, looks so sweet!
R31 Mark is offline Find More Posts by R31 Mark