SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2015, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,888 Posts
heh not much, Joel -- I'm sure they'll have this whipped up for us in no time!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2015, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,107 Posts
Yeah, I'll make room for a warthog as described by Joel but I also have a different day dream.

We've got all this gyro stuff and safe stuff and the ability to land at the takeoff point etc. but it's back up for beginners. I'm a sailplane pilot and what I want is a sailplane that can be left to itself on tow. Something that will allow itself to be pulled along by a tug and just keep its wings level and not either kite up behind the tug or dive.

I want the tug itself to be able to land close to home without my help.

In other words, I want to fly the tug and be able to leave the sailplane to take care of itself and after release I want to fly the sailplane and let the tug land itself.

We have all these features that sound like they can almost do it but nobody has done it yet. Tug pilots are hard to come by and even good tug pilots sometimes go too fast or turn too tight so I'd like to see if all our tech can eliminate the need for two men. As a glider pilot I learned to fly position behind a tug and my goal was to have the tow pilot forget I was there. All I want is a glider to do that on its own and a tug that can circle down over the landing spot and land on the same heading as the takeoff on the assumption that the wind will still be blowing the same way.

Well, that's my current day dream. I think it's almost doable but the tug is going to need GPS, compass and altitude info. I think glider pitch will be the biggest problem on that end. The glider fighting yaw will probably be a help because it will track a wider turn than the tug, so not lose airspeed as it would if it turned inside the tug's track.

Okay Horizon, I don't think it's impossible but it probably isn't easy either but I'm ready to buy both planes if you get this done.

Hmm... L-19 for the tug and the 2-33 for the (first) glider. It's not my favorite glider by a long shot but more people learned to fly in it than just about anything else, at least in the USA and Canada. It would also make a great FPV platform.

If you read all of this, thanks. I hope I didn't bore you.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Apr 17, 2015, 05:57 AM
Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,107 Posts
One of the tugs at Wurtsboro

Sorry my log book doesn't have info about the tow planes but I've probably been pulled aloft by this guy frequently. My flying buddy and I built this but we had DUAL battery failure on the maiden. It probably flew for over ten minutes. I filmed the whole flight except the crash. I was filming the pilot when it went out of control.

We had three or four L-19's at Wurtsboro and a good RC tug could be both a tug and a warbird.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture
AMA 34191
Fayetteville, PA
Joined Dec 2002
257 Posts
LA-7.
Macchi C-205.
Yak-3.

All three would be easy to manufacture as well.
Vulgar Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture
Old May 01, 2015, 02:04 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,888 Posts
Today I was thinking.... The Parkzone 480 sized T-28 is nice... Durafly 1400 is nicer..... The little UMX T-28 is also good, but on 1S and with it's light weight, and no UMX, it needs a nice calm morning to really enjoy.... So.....

I think that what Horizon MUST release is.....

A 280-sized Trojan (same size as Viking or Edge QQ), with nice features but most importantly, tuned to fly smoothly with AS3X helping. Maybe also go with a less-common color scheme, and some really nice scale features, including pilot figure... maybe even one of the Vietnam-era rocket/armament carrying ships.... (T-28D-5)

Sure, retracts and LEDS, etc are all nice to dream of, but main thing is make it fly well as a mini-scale ship! 3-blade prop and nicely detailed radial a must!
Old May 01, 2015, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
398 Posts
^^^. I have recently acquired the durafly T-28, completely free. I didn't set out to get one because I was never a fan of the trainer paint scheme that they always come in. But now I have it, so I might do up a nice warbird colour scheme if I can decide on one! But good call. 280 size seems to have a nice niche, That I really should get into.
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old May 01, 2015, 05:38 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
good call. 280 size seems to have a nice niche, That I really should get into.
Yup, after flying both my Edge and the Viking today, I just think a T-28 in 280-size would be awesome.
Old May 02, 2015, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,016 Posts
Tbf!
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
Old May 02, 2015, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
424 Posts
I would say a p47 razor back but its probably out there already howabout a botom wing with a wee bit of diheidral and flaps elevator ailerons but not a copy of a plane , something easy to fly but fast
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret