SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:51 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
698 Posts
Discussion
A new high

One would think that MK kits are worth a few dollars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251848098261...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Even worse here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251849068285...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:58 AM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
942 Posts
Is pot legal where that guy is from? Dang!

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, Hidden Valley Lake
Joined Aug 2002
67 Posts
Personally, I think he just added an extra -0- to the prices in error.
A quick search didn't show these plane being sold elsewhere so I could not compare.
Hopefully he sees his error soon.

Just my $.02.

KW_Counter
kw_counter is offline Find More Posts by kw_counter
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:30 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw_counter View Post
Hopefully he sees his error soon.
There is no error. Someone will buy them soon enough. Watch it happen.

If 20 size MK kits sold for $98 (dropping the zero as suggested) there would be a feeding frenzy if for no other reason that they are MK kits. I've seen auctions go for close to $500 for these 20 size kits. Asking for twice that while ludicrous it is real. Someone who has a spare grand to invest in another MK box will buy it and as David says, it will set a new high.

Just imagine, you finish up your 20 size MK classic, head to the field and someone says "what a beaut!" The next guy asks where did you get the kit and you answer. The first guy then asks "how much did that set you back?" at which point you reply about $1000 in wood plus another $100 in shipping... In a nutshell, vintage classic pattern is becoming unhinged.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Feb 22, 2015, 07:03 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,271 Posts
Might be time to sell my MK joker and retire to the Bahamas
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:50 PM
United States, VA, Henrico
Joined Oct 2014
23 Posts
Oooooooo, I'll pay 2 million for the Joker... Sorry, got caught up in the bidding :-)
I have been guilty of 'over payment' for a few select Japanese kits in the past 18 months, but I HAD to have them. A couple of them were never imported to the US; so I was pretty psyched.
MK is out of business. There will be no more of their kits made. I wish I had kept all the MK kits I have had in my possession; I had 4 Aurora 60 kits at one point, sold 3 for $225 each (shipped), Oh well. An MK Arrow just sold on ebay for $582, a bargain compared to the prices the Japanese seller is asking. Still, as David pointed out, if somebody is willing to pay the price then that is what the kit is worth. How about the recent ebay sale of a NIB Hanno special for ~$1900.
US 'muscle' cars from the late '60s have commanded crazy prices in recent years because the baby boomers still want one to relive their youth and have the $$$ to get what they want. Check out the car auctions on the auto channels... My dad bought a brand new Mustang convertible in 1964 - I really wish he'd kept it!
Just for comparison a brand new Accuracy kit from Naruke Hobbies (2 meter pattern) will cost about $1200 delivered. Pricey, but all laser-cut; includes all jigs and you actually get to build it, a rarity in the current pattern world.
Lastly, companies like Eureka and RCaiir are providing new versions of some of the classics at very affordable prices - at least compared to the kit prices listed above.
It's just a hobby and it's only money. Life is short; enjoy it while you can!
flywilly57 is offline Find More Posts by flywilly57
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:53 PM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Might be time to sell my MK joker and retire to the Bahamas
Hah, and I'm contemplating cracking into mine to pick up an MK Curare, maybe two
Mark
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:48 PM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
533 Posts
Thank You - Glad there are too.

Glad they are too. Saw these trading on Ebay last week. US prices ... the Canadian Dollar is trading at $1.25 US at the present time.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywilly57 View Post
Lastly, companies like Eureka and RCaiir are providing new versions of some of the classics at very affordable prices - at least compared to the kit prices listed above.
It's just a hobby and it's only money. Life is short; enjoy it while you can!
jpurcha is online now Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:22 AM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,447 Posts
It is really interesting how we ended up where we are and the word "classic" has come about. I think it is great and if they can get big $ dollars for them it proves that the interest for the aircraft we love and the way they fly is incredibly high.

We really owe a debt of gratitude to the folks running AMA/FIA pattern competition. If they had not changed the pattern rules that spawned huge ugly guppy like things that crawl around the sky like injured stink bugs I don’t think this would have happened. There are lots events in history that show when leaders don’t know that they don’t know interesting things can happen. I think we can add this one to the list.

But good that they did not know or we might not be having this much fun with the classics. I really think I'm having more fun now building and flying the classics than I did before they were classics!

Mike
Jet_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Feb 23, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:16 PM
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Sep 2010
262 Posts
I believe Mike is right on target. I really had to laugh about the "Guppy" term and it is true. There is nothing being designed and flown that is on the caliber of the these classics we all love. When you look at what is call a pattern plane now days, to me they lack style and elegance, cookie cutter planes massed produced as ARF's or RTC. Last year at the field a member had on of these humongous pattern ARF's that he said he built. Well, if you call assembly building, I guess perhaps that is what is todays terminology. I am really not trying to knock ARF's or RTC as they have their place in the hobby and to each his own desires. However, the hobby has lost a little in the fact that the pride in building would be gone if it were not for us the classic guys and those who love to build.

I have been watching Mike's thread on his Crusader build and other builds and I see true craftsmanship. Pride in building and then flying a plane that was a box of balsa and plywood or scratching building for that matter is experience by few. The Golden Age of Pattern design has gone and such designs may never resurface again and it is a shame. But, time changes and as I guess it should. So I agree, let those old kit prices go through the ceiling and those who want to buy them more power to them. Just an opinion from a old balsa butcher

Ron
RTLIKES RC is offline Find More Posts by RTLIKES RC
Last edited by RTLIKES RC; Feb 23, 2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Corrected comment.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 02:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
168 Posts
Me too, I got a good chuckle over the Guppy analogy.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old Feb 23, 2015, 02:22 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
It is really interesting how we ended up where we are and the word "classic" has come about. I think it is great and if they can get big $ dollars for them and it proves that the interest for the aircraft we love and the way they fly is incredibly high.

We really owe a debt of gratitude to the folks running AMA/FIA pattern competition. If they had not changed the pattern rules that spawned huge ugly guppy like things that crawl around the sky like injured stink bugs I don’t think this would have happened. There are lots events in history that show when leaders don’t know that they don’t know interesting things can happen. I think we can add this one to the list.

But good that they did not know or we might not be having this much fun with the classics. I really think I'm having more fun now building and flying the classics than I did before they were classics!

Mike
Not to mention the cost of the big Guppies, and the deer in the headlights look that I get as I try to explain the "box", what a "sequence" is, etc.
Out west, we are seeing many more new pilots get started in precision aerobatics through Pre- Novice or Novice class CPA pattern rather than through AMA pattern. The buy- in is far less $$$, and only having to concentrate on one maneuver per pass is a lot more appealing to the newcomer. You can fly pre-novice with whatever airplane that you have on hand, including a Parkzone foam T-28.

And yes, I own and fly the Guppies, and enjoy it. But it will never be to me what classic pattern is.

Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Feb 23, 2015, 02:51 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jul 2004
150 Posts
Anyone else see the headline on the latest "Fly RC" magazine with the picture of the guppy that says - "A Pattern Plane for the Masses"?

That tells ya all ya need to know.
OverKill is online now Find More Posts by OverKill
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:20 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
"huge ugly guppy like things that crawl around the sky like injured stink bugs"
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. The people working the building next to mine probably heard me laughing! Kelly
KellyJ is offline Find More Posts by KellyJ
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:40 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,335 Posts
I saw a MK Fuji 60 kit a while ago and placed a bid so high I said to my self I was crazy. I did not get it since someone else was even crazier. When You know something rare is out there it can be expensive and I do not think any other brand among classic pattern planes then MK and their kits can go so skyhigh in price. I have given away some MK kit to people that wanted them so much and did not know where to find them, but then I got promise that they would be built and flown. That is better then the kits just sit on shelf, as long as the drawing is archived so scrathbuilt from it can be done in the future.

It is not just the MK Classic pattern planes that sellers try to get high price for, also MK scale models some sellers want high price for.
This is example what can be found for sale on one acution site today:
MK P38 Lightning - 1200 Euro = US $1360
MK Zero - 749 Euro = US $850
MK Cessna 310 - 999 Euro = US $1133
MK Cessna 182 - 999 Euro = US $1133

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Feb 23, 2015 at 06:07 PM.