HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,928 Posts
Idea
No FBL CONTROLLER

Has anyone tried flying a helicopter without the FBL control box? I got a 450 built and ready to fly , but with just a tail gyro . It's pretty quick on the controls but easily tamed with dual rates and expo and EPA settings .

Let's hear it guys , you all ready to go commando
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Last edited by jombo; Yesterday at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:36 AM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,064 Posts
No, I like to not crash.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,500 Posts
That reminds me of when I was first trying to fly RC helicopters. We didn't even have gyros yet. It was basically lift off and then crash. It got very expensive, always repairing the heli doing that. We had no internet and the RC magazines rarely had anything in them about helicopters too.

But people are doing amazing things though, such as quadcopters that can do 3D and fly inverted even. So do let us know how it works out flying your FBL heli without a FBL controller. I would suggest taking videos when you do it too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
Registered User
Oldgazer's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
403 Posts
I'll pass. I have a ZYX on my 5 blade and I'm keeping it. When you go for it, make sure you have a high speed camera running, 'cause that 1st crash is going to spectacular and very, very quick...

Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
Registered User
Oldgazer's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
403 Posts
Oh, BTW. If you want to have even more fun, but a 3 axis on a flybar heli....
Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Has anyone tried flying a helicopter without the FBL control box? I got a 450 built and ready to fly , but with just a tail gyro . It's pretty quick on the controls but easily tamed with dual rates and expo and EPA settings .

Let's hear it guys , you all ready to go commando
-Yes, most of my heli's have flybars :-)
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
Registered User
scanner62's Avatar
Australia, VIC
Joined May 2013
338 Posts
Go to various forums (not wanting to promote any in particular....but that other one) and in the "search" function type in "nobar" without the quote marks.

That should give you something to work with

Regards
scanner62 is online now Find More Posts by scanner62
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,928 Posts
You guys crack me up . I have been flying it for quite some time and haven't crashed it . The 2 nuts on top give the head more weigh and stability , I also picked the heaviest CF blades I could find , also to help in stability .

I forgot to add pictures , this kit is or was new , back when I learned to fly . I bought a 6 or 12 pack of SE from hobby king and gave a few away to friends who wanted to learn to fly . I still have 3 more unopened kits and decided why not go FBL

I must have around 8 or 9 flights on it already , hovering isn't too bad , forward flight is like any other helicopter . Haven't tried 3D with it and probably won't as it's not my style . I just can't believe no one else tried it
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
..................
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Has anyone tried flying a helicopter without the FBL control box? I got a 450 built and ready to fly , but with just a tail gyro . It's pretty quick on the controls but easily tamed with dual rates and expo and EPA settings .

Let's hear it guys , you all ready to go commando
How did you get into my house ??
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,928 Posts
Lol I like your canopy better
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Registered User
holtneil's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,024 Posts
Hi mate good luck i hope it all goes well , i have seen multi rotor heads with out fbl controller , but not a normal 2 bladed head , i hope you do it mate
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Cleared2Engage's Avatar
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,285 Posts
Hovered and did some forward flight on a Protos 500 a few times. Did not think it was possible until I tried it. Dont think Id try to 3D it, though.
Cleared2Engage is online now Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
Where's the swimming pool
spykez's Avatar
Joined Jul 2011
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
You guys crack me up . I have been flying it for quite some time and haven't crashed it . The 2 nuts on top give the head more weigh and stability , I also picked the heaviest CF blades I could find , also to help in stability .

I forgot to add pictures , this kit is or was new , back when I learned to fly . I bought a 6 or 12 pack of SE from hobby king and gave a few away to friends who wanted to learn to fly . I still have 3 more unopened kits and decided why not go FBL

I must have around 8 or 9 flights on it already , hovering isn't too bad , forward flight is like any other helicopter . Haven't tried 3D with it and probably won't as it's not my style . I just can't believe no one else tried it
Google NOBAR and Helifreak, some guy (can't recall his name) has a few videos out there.

I tried it on RF, a bit pitchy but manageable on the sim for simple stuff. And throw wind in, it becomes... interesting. But that's just a sim. No way I'll try it IRL.
spykez is offline Find More Posts by spykez
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,613 Posts
The bigger the rotor the better it works, but still a lot of effort even for simple stuff. FF needs constant correction for example.

Considering how cheap FBL controllers are these days, I dont see any reason to fly like that (beyond showing it can be done).
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Registered User
Oldgazer's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
The bigger the rotor the better it works, but still a lot of effort even for simple stuff. FF needs constant correction for example.

Considering how cheap FBL controllers are these days, I dont see any reason to fly like that (beyond showing it can be done).
OK, you guys have made a believer out of me, but I think I'll stick with my ZYX.
Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found 120 + FBL heli[s] to 450 no clones/ no projects dankar04 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 04, 2014 02:13 PM
Sold Blade 450X with Upgrades/ No FBL Controller, Cheap!! dhmojo Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jul 02, 2014 12:10 PM
For Sale FBL T-rex 500 w/Upgrades & NIP Align 3GX FBL Controller helinut4ever Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Mar 10, 2013 07:17 AM
For Sale FBL T-Rex 500 w/Upgrades & NIP Align 3GX FBL Controller helinut4ever Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Mar 08, 2013 04:26 PM
For Sale align 450 FBL RTF minus FBL controller and RX lawn darts1 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Nov 29, 2012 10:56 AM