HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
Discussion
Running out of water

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0729093112.htm

This is an argument that we will not be able to use water as we presently do very far into the future. I have thought for sometime that water was going to be the first major limiting factor on human affairs.

Here in the Austin area, water conservation has been so successful that an additional surcharge of $2.85 has been added to my water bill. This is necessary so that the water company can continue to function and not go broke, so they say.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:19 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0729093112.htm

This is an argument that we will not be able to use water as we presently do very far into the future. I have thought for sometime that water was going to be the first major limiting factor on human affairs.

Here in the Austin area, water conservation has been so successful that an additional surcharge of $2.85 has been added to my water bill. This is necessary so that the water company can continue to function and not go broke, so they say.
Somewhere recently I read that hydrologists believe that there is more water beneath our feet ,than in all the oceans combined .Its just a matter of tapping into it .As far as that goes ,my well water tastes great unfiltered ,cool and refreshing on a hot summers day too..
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Jul 29, 2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:13 PM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Liquid salt reactors running desalinization plants....
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:23 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
The water is actually being launched into space and we didn't even know about it.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2003
788 Posts
We are in a "severe' drought in the SF bay area. You are only allowed to water your lawn on alternating days( and soon it may be no watering) according to address and at certain hours. Our water rates are going up 40-70 % in october, to cover possible cost of buying water from another utility.
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:11 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert harik View Post
We are in a "severe' drought in the SF bay area. You are only allowed to water your lawn on alternating days( and soon it may be no watering) according to address and at certain hours. Our water rates are going up 40-70 % in october, to cover possible cost of buying water from another utility.
Now that just plain sucks. I wonder how towns like Palm Springs are going to manage.
Sonny McGhee is online now Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
I understand there are major aquifers under deep oceans. I can picture BP drilling for water rather than oil. There is considerable water deep in the mantle , which I don't think we are anywhere close to the technology to extract. There are saline aquifers in Texas. There has been some serious thought of building desalination plants here and there to utilize this water.

I haven't done any numbers on it, but I wonder if passive solar desalination would be useful on a small scale some places. I think I read a science fiction story where icebergs were being towed to San Francisco as a source of fresh water.

A fair number of people around me have wells. There have been real problems with wells going dry.
Last edited by Jim Thomerson; Jul 29, 2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
I understand there are major aquifers under deep oceans. I can picture BP drilling for water rather than oil. There is considerable water deep in the mantle , which I don't think we are anywhere close to the technology to extract. There are saline aquifers in Texas. There has been some serious thought of building desalination plants here and there to utilize this water.

I haven't done any numbers on it, but I wonder if passive solar desalination would be useful on a small scale some places. I think I read a science fiction story where icebergs were being towed to San Francisco as a source of fresh water.

A fair number of people around me have wells. Thee have been real problems with wells going dry.
Wait till they start fracking in the area. Might get interesting.
Sonny McGhee is online now Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:32 PM
Joined May 2010
957 Posts
Oh how cool, something more for Jumpy and Goat to deny!
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:54 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:

A fair number of people around me have wells. Thee have been real problems with wells going dry.
Texas has approximately 2.7 billion acre-feet of brackish water. El Paso TX is currently using brackish water

http://www.epwu.org/water/desal_info.html
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:58 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Deny what, exactly? Of course water is going to be a problem in some areas, particularly due to reluctance to apply actual market pricing.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:04 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Deny what, exactly? Of course water is going to be a problem in some areas, particularly due to reluctance to apply actual market pricing.
That and too many people living in arid areas
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:06 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Yup, all part of the subsidy problem.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2003
788 Posts
Well the shortage is due to much less rain and snow this year( third year of ).
Is this due to climate change ? duno ,I know we had a similar drought in the 70's here.
2010-2011 we had higher than normal rain snow.
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
Last edited by robert harik; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
I have a well on my place which hit brackish water. It is sealed over, but the guy who dug it showed me where it is. Neighbors on either side have OK wells with water softeners and RO units. My water comes through a pipe, with meter, from the road. I was raised with wells and windmills and did not want to deal with a water well in my golden years. I still have a well with windmill at the home place, and spend money on it from time to time.