Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
Discussion
Drone registration in the Philippines

Welp, it's here.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/623268/...ilots-licensed

http://caap.gov.ph/index.php/downloa...ft-vehicle-uav

The thing about my country is that the politicians like to take their cues from the US so everything gets mirrored. Then again, we already had TV stations doing this.

Ruta ng prusisyon, muntik di masunod; UNTV, gumamit ng drone technology sa pag-monitor (JAN092014) (2 min 13 sec)

Yep, that's an actual news organization with a fleet of Phantoms (Two squadrons worth, three if you include the TBS and hex which they don't often seem to use), not just aerial photographers or hobbyists. I have a feeling someone in Malacanang saw these drone reporters, looked up what was going on in the US and then copied the trend.

How do you register a drone anyway? Do you stamp the FCB? The center plate? The radio?

BTW, we're also required to register airsoft guns (They're classified as air rifles) if you're taking them out of the house (i.e. field games), i didn't quite understand where you put the serial number on a heavily modded, plastic gun as well.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
Our future?

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2014, 01:00 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
Holy crap! $10,000+ fine!

http://n5e.interaksyon.com/top/913DD...-lisensya-caap

Quote:
Those high tech drones or small aircraft with cameras are cool, but the authorities are raising concerns. Due to the increasing number of enthusiasts, the Civil Aviation Authorities are putting up restrictions on Unmanned Aircraft Vehicles. They are now required to register and obtain licenses. This is due for their potential for misuse, such as terrorists in Israel. These are commonly flown by Photographers, Hobbyists and Researchers. Those that don't comply will be fined up to 500,000 pesos.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Jul 25, 2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
SONA: CAAP, maghihigpit sa pagpapalipad ng mga drone (6 min 10 sec)

Interesting 3:30

"Bawal din magpalipad ng UAV ng mas mababa sa 400 feet above ground level ng hindi humihingi ng permiso sa CAAP"

translation

"UAVs are also forbidden from flying below 400 feet above ground level without asking for permission from CAAP"

WHA??? I've flown on the NAZA with iOSD and my all time record on that is 80 meters. That's less than 300 feet! I'm supposed to fly higher??? Must be mistake in the script somewhere.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Jul 27, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:47 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,532 Posts
Surely thats above 400 feet, not below? Does the change affect hobbyist sports flyers or is it just for commercial operators? This would put Philippines similar to Oz regulations.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:32 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
Kinda blurry right now. There's officially no differentiation between commercial and hobby use. But some of our clubs have talked to the CAAP and they got a bit of a leeway to only apply it to commercial drones (Even tho the rules say it applies to everyone).

As of right now. *ALL* aerial photography services have been shut down until we could sort this out. There's a meeting coming up between one of the large clubs and the CAAP. Hopefully there'll be a procedure on how to get drone licenses by then.

PS: I read through the PDF again. It says:
Quote:
11.11.13 WHERE SMALL UAVS MAY BE OPERATED
(a) No person may operate small UAV outside an approved area unless:
(1) the UAV is operated above 400ft Above Ground Level (AGL), the operator has the Authority's approval to do so; and
(2) the UAV stays clear of populated areas
The guy didn't misspoke. So if i drive up to a random field to fly, i have to stay above 400 feet?

BTW, micro UAVs are less than 100g, large UAVs are more than 100kg and small is anything in between, which means all brushless quads from mini FPV quads all the way up to one of Alishanmaos Jumbo quads.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2014
183 Posts
Please keep this thread updated Hajile. I am hoping to travel to Philippines "soon" and when I do, I would want to bring my quad.
Witoldc is offline Find More Posts by Witoldc
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:26 AM
Quad fun for everyone!
United States, WI, Stoughton
Joined Oct 2013
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Our future?

It won't be a problem during flying for you guys as long as the license-plate is lightweight. Although I assume the FAA will want to go furthur and eradicate all "drones" in the U.S where I live.
RC2211 is online now Find More Posts by RC2211
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:35 AM
Philippines, Ilocos Region, La Union
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
I think those who uses their UAVs as a commercial purpose are the only one who is affected by these regulations.

Btw, there are only designated place to fly UAVs. I'm from the province of the Philippines, there are alot of wide fields here. I hope they will make it clear.
jasferb is online now Find More Posts by jasferb
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:10 AM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
349 Posts
Quite interesting that they extend this to nanoquads of less than 100 grams!

Over here the spokesperson for local EFF also made a comment calling for drone registration, citing privacy concerns, but as this was reported by the media I'm not sure of the real intent. One would think they're the last organization to call the Big Brother for help.
varis is online now Find More Posts by varis
Old Today, 09:22 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
A bit of an update.

http://rcvictory.com/index.php?route...log&blog_id=24

Quote:
Right now, we the RC Enthusiasts overnight have been put under a microscope and are now under close watch. For this reason, we must be on our best behavior for the sake of our hobby. We are under scutiny not because we have done something wrong, but rather, we are being watched because there is a possibility and potential that we can do something wrong against our fellow people."
Basically we're now allowed to fly as long as we follow what is usually common flying etiquette that's been in place for decades. Not much change there, but i suppose this means it's now under watch and would put the screws on the random Phantom user that keeps flying in random directions?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Today at 09:27 AM.