HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 06:08 PM
What goes up .....
Australia, QLD, Mermaid Beach
Joined Oct 2013
247 Posts
Discussion
Pandora's first flight

After a year of sitting in my garage my Pandora had it's maiden on the weekend. I was very pleased with the way it preformed. Took off just like my apprentice and I did 2 circuits then landed with no problems. I have it heavier than out of the box. It is in tail dragger configuration, I had to replace the foam wheels because they wouldn't stand up to the runway asphalt. This increased the nose weight a lot, so I added lead to the tail. Still, even with this weight the plane did well and went home in one piece. Next time I will try the flaps. I can't wait to try the low wing configuration.
Seacondor is offline Find More Posts by Seacondor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:43 PM
What goes up .....
Joined Oct 2013
247 Posts
I hope to get the Pandora out this weekend if this wind will die down. With a bit of luck the flaps will work this time. Does anyone have any advice on using them other than trying them up high first time. Something tells me this is not a popular plane. I see very few posts about it. All I can say is I enjoyed it more than my apprentice last weekend. I think it is because I have it heavier which seems to give it more presence in the sky for me.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:10 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
I stumbled across the Motion RC vid on youtube Showing the Pandora.
I was very impressed with what I saw. I am new to hobby, I started out learning on Bixler. Then I started flying Multiplex Mentor. Both are great planes. I just want some more varity, and this will be my next plane. I can't wait to get it. This will be my first order with Motion RC . I know they will be good to deal with from the great reviews I have read.
Me here is offline Find More Posts by Me here
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:03 PM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
182 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have been flying a FMS J-3 1400mm at our grass field flying club. The 2 inch wheels on the J-3 make it hard to taxi and get a good take-off run; since our field has usually a good cross wind. It's hard to know when to stop holding full up elevator, to get the plane up on the grass, and when to release this pressure so that you do not leave the ground without enough airspeed, and crash because of the cross wind. I am going to start flying the Pandora with the 4 inch wheels and hope it is easier to handle with the cross wind. It has not been flown yet but I like the way it handles the grass in the MotionRC videos. The wheels are further forward and is less likely to nose over. I will try the high wing, tail dragger config. I will report after flying.
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:29 PM
What goes up .....
Joined Oct 2013
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me here View Post
I stumbled across the Motion RC vid on youtube Showing the Pandora.
I was very impressed with what I saw. I am new to hobby, I started out learning on Bixler. Then I started flying Multiplex Mentor. Both are great planes. I just want some more varity, and this will be my next plane. I can't wait to get it. This will be my first order with Motion RC . I know they will be good to deal with from the great reviews I have read.
You won't go wrong with this one. I'm flying it after flying an apprentice. I was out this morning with a quite strong cross wind. The plane handled it with no problem.
Landed on the runway every time. I had to do a few go arounds to get it right, but you expect that in those conditions. I have new 4" wheels on it which are a bit heavier, so I have weight on the tail. This extra weight helps with those cross winds I think. I didn't get to test the flaps as the wind was a bit strong so it will be next weekend all going well.
If you get this plane be aware that the trike gear setup has a problem that the front wheels servo's gears strip with hard landings. Others have change this servo to a metal gear one. This is the reason I use the tail dragger config. Also I think it gets you ready for warbirds quicker. It handles rough ground with my Dudro 4" light weight wheels. All in all it is a great plane.
I noticed yesterday they had some at Xtreme hobby for us Aussie boys and girls.
Last edited by Seacondor; Jul 19, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:07 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,915 Posts
Here......http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2034477 is a thread for the Freewing Pandora!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:21 PM
What goes up .....
Joined Oct 2013
247 Posts
That one has been dead quite for so long I decided to start a fresh one. However good to refer to it.
By the way Lurch, I still think your paint scheme is the best I have seen on this plane. How did the double wing go?
Last edited by Seacondor; Jul 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM.