HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:29 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2013
152 Posts
Discussion
TT Pro 40 piston and rod orienation ?????

Hello,
I bought a TT Pro 40 today. I took it home and took it apart for cleaning.
I didn't pay attention to the piston and rod orientation because I THOUGHT I knew it. WELL this is different than my older one.
My old one had a chamfer on one side of the lower rod bushing. The new one has the chamfer on both sides.
ALSO,
I read that I should look for more material on one side of the bottom of the piston.
I see that. (it goes in front?)
The same article said the bottom of the rod also has more material on one side and it also goes in front. I didn't separate the piston and rod. I swear that it is assembled the other way. The side of the rod with more meat is facing the side of the piston that has less meat!
Maybe a better description of the rod orientation would be, the side with the big groove and lube holes is on the same side as the thick material on the bottom of the piston.
I need to get mu engine back together. I have a race this weekend and I need to be running it now.
Can someone help me?
doehunter is online now Find More Posts by doehunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:40 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,471 Posts
This is easy. On one side of the rod. Near the bottom where it slides onto the crank pin. There is a small hole on the rod. Only on one side. This hole allows lubrication. This hole should face the front of the Motor. Let me know if my info helped you.

Question. Does your Rod have the groove on both sides ?
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:37 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2013
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
This is easy. On one side of the rod. Near the bottom where it slides onto the crank pin. There is a small hole on the rod. Only on one side. This hole allows lubrication. This hole should face the front of the Motor. Let me know if my info helped you.

Question. Does your Rod have the groove on both sides ?
Groove on one side. Since it was on the same side as the "thick" side on the piston, I placed it forward. Leaving the flat side to the rear.
After assembling, it all feels good.
i'm hoping that if I got something wrong, it wouldn't feel right.
I'll run it as soon as I can.
thx
doehunter is online now Find More Posts by doehunter
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:39 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doehunter View Post
Groove on one side. Since it was on the same side as the "thick" side on the piston, I placed it forward. Leaving the flat side to the rear.
After assembling, it all feels good.
i'm hoping that if I got something wrong, it wouldn't feel right.
I'll run it as soon as I can.
thx
Yep. You have it right. The Rod with one groove is faced to the front. You have it right. Note: the new TTPro40's have grooves on Both sides of the Rod. Thus making it Lighter and faster

What class are you Racing this weekend ?
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Last edited by Dale 813; Apr 01, 2014 at 10:47 PM.