Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: what do you think would be the best...
spektrum dx18qq 30 18.52%
weatronic bat60 3 1.85%
futaba 18mz 50 30.86%
jeti ds16 46 28.40%
other 33 20.37%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
106 Posts
Poll
expensive radio smackdown...

So everyone, what do you think is the best radio for the money if you are going to spend over 1000$usd on a radio.

These are some of the radio's I have found that are over 1000usd.

Spektrum D18qq (not really researched)
Pros: can use in lots of bind and fly items. Has 18ch. Easy to program. Telemetry. Support.
Cons: not as future rich as others.

Weatronic bat60
Pros: up to 22 ch(i think, going off of how many ch the biggest rx has). Huge touch screen. Made in Germany. Telemetry with external screen (computer, or smartphone). From what I read, very good communication from rx to tx.
Cons: Probably lack of support across the pond. Not out yet(poss vaporware).

Futaba 18mz (most expensive)
Pros: touch screen. 18ch. Telemetry. SBUS(I honestly think sbus is a great idea). Good battery life. Can program SBUS servos from the radio. Mix's galore. Very low to nonexistent failure rate.
Cons: Very expensive to replace screen if dropped(stuff happens). Telemetry items are not available yet. Instructions suck.

Jeti ds16
Pros: Made of metal. Mix's galore with custom mix's. Can say parameter readings. Seems like the best telemetry integration(can even read mah used.) Any switch/button can be programmed. Seams easy to program. Very good tx to rx communication. Screen location is in a smart spot.
Cons: Not out yet. Only some of the rx's are FCC approved. 16ch(why the heck do they have a 18 ch rx when their own tx's are only 16ch? makes absolutely no sense). Black and white screen.

note: I am not in the market of buying a expensive tx, but I thought it would be fun to see what other people thought about some expensive tx's/systems. I probably spent 1hr looking up these tx's. Please do not bring tx's that are under 1000usd to this thread. Also, if these companies arnt to your liking throw in what you think is the best, but it has to be 1000+.
scar308 is offline Find More Posts by scar308
Last edited by scar308; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,187 Posts
In the "other" category, I would include the new Multiplex Profi TX.

FWIW, my next radio will likely be the 18MZ.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
What's Windows CE?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:00 AM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar308 View Post
Jeti ds16
Cons: Only some of the rx's are FCC approved. 16ch(why the heck do they have a 18 ch rx when their own tx's are only 16ch? makes absolutely no sense)
They have been making and selling the Duplex radio system for over 3 years. The receivers are just being reused with the new transmitter. On most high end radios the numbers of output channels has no relationship to input channels: 2 elevator servos for example can be plugged into 2 output channels but you might only use a single input channel to control them (like a Y lead built into RX).

A colour screen is a feature but I wouldn't call the lack of one a con. Same with a touch screen, all depends on the user interface. A well designed system with buttons better than a poor touch screen design.
___

No radio that you can't actually buy or use can ever be classed as the best. Looking at new future radio systems is a nice day dreaming activity but you can't rate them.

The new Multiplex Profi is another set that might not make it to the US and no one seem to have any ideas what it might do other than look cool.

The Graupner SJ MC-32 is another new high end radio with similar features to the Jeti. Looks like there will be a handheld version the MX-32 as well.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
What's Windows CE?
windows CE is a stripped down verson of windows. It is made to run in the background of low power devices. A good example would be phones, 18mz. Its like a starting point for people to build upon for a specific purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
crap radios like DX18 should not be in this poll.
Man thats not good...but sometimes bad apples do get out. What if the right stick fell out while flying? That would of been troublesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
They have been making and selling the Duplex radio system for over 3 years. The receivers are just being reused with the new transmitter. On most high end radios the numbers of output channels has no relationship to input channels: 2 elevator servos for example can be plugged into 2 output channels but you might only use a single input channel to control them (like a Y lead built into RX). I see. I wonder what it would take adding more ch to the jeti.

A colour screen is a feature but I wouldn't call the lack of one a con. Same with a touch screen, all depends on the user interface. A well designed system with buttons better than a poor touch screen design.true, its all about the UI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
In the "other" category, I would include the new Multiplex Profi TX.

FWIW, my next radio will likely be the 18MZ.
Yes the 18mz is very nice. I wonder what the next one holds.
scar308 is offline Find More Posts by scar308
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:12 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
A well designed system with buttons better than a poor touch screen design.
+1 http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...&postcount=118

Quote:
windows CE is a stripped down verson of windows.
windows CRAP EDITION. I have seen a BSOD in a 14MZ
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:46 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,647 Posts
Quote:
So everyone, what do you think is the best radio for the money if you are going to spend over 1000$usd on a radio.
Define "best".
That's not a trite comment, it's a real question. Best perceived value for money? Most number of channels? Most mixing? Best telemetry concept? Best feeling sticks? Best software architecture?

The Wea BAT60 is not 32 channels, it will be 16 to 22 channels, I don't think it has been finally tied down or announced yet. As other have said, the number of outputs on their Rx have nothing to do with the Tx channels. I use Weatronic at the moment on a 12 channel Multiplex 4000 with their 22 output rx, the programming in the rx is more powerful than many Tx.

At the moment I am pondering my next Tx to replace my Multiplex 4000s which are nearly 15 years old, faults are beginning to creep into their old components, but I have not yet seen a Tx with software to match the old 4000.

The first part of my decision process is to ignore Futaba, JR, Spektrum, having experienced the joy of Multiplex's wonderful software architecture there is no way I could go go back to the truly dreadful Japanese software, you don't realise just how bad it is until you have used Multiplex.

My options are the Jeti DS 16 (I have tried the DC and the physical layout doesn't work for me), the Weatronic BAT60 which I shall fondle at Jetpower later this year, and the Multiplex Profi which should be in the shops in summer we hope.

All have reasons against as well as good things, it's a pity at this level they can't produce one system that has everything right.

Jeti - great prices, seems like they react to customer ideas and needs, but the DS is overpriced due to having gyros and accelerometers that I don't need and will not pay for, the software looks suspiciously Japanese which I hate, and the trims buttons are beyond redemption. I don't like the idea of paying so much for a Tx and then having to buy a self adhesive add-on stick to make the trims useable, what was Jeti thinking? However the Rx prices and the Tx capability look good. They have a simple cheap satellite rx system which I like because in my metal covered jets I can't have too many aerials!

Weatronic - Possibly the most secure link, latest flat patch antennae for rx give even more incredible reception orientation and db increase, the "black box" data logging that comes as standard is a big reason I got the system for use in my metal covered jets, but their telemetry sensor system is hideously bad since to have even a simple voltage sensor you need to add in a "mux box" to plug sensors into and it is bulky and costs a whopping €148, I am not going to buy one of those for each of my little electric models and some simply would not have the space for it anyway. so it is a shockingly bad concept. Also at the moment their smallest full range Rx is 6 channel, rather bulky, and expensive at €88. I want one Tx for all my models so it is not a suitable system for my electric models. Therefore even if the BAT60 software is the mutt's nuts, the overall system concept has deep flaws. No satellite or rx diversity is allowed, so you have only 2 aerials and while that has never failed in my metal covered jets, the data logging has shown it struggling at some times. What will I get in the BAT60 for a price about 50% more than the Jeti or Multiplex?

Multiplex Profi - was billed by Mpx as "the legend reborn", the legend being the Profi 4000, so far Mpx has released very little about what the software will do but what can be found out has been disappointing, in fact when it was announced more than a year ago the forums were full of people saying it is no successor to the 4000, just a Royal with a tweak. Initially Mpx also said that speech and data logging were to be optional extras! At this level! We wait to see. Multiplex does have the best sensor system with their serial bus simply daisy chaining sensors straight into the Rx. However their pricing strategy is bonkers, their Rx are the most expensive, about twice the price of a Jeti Rx and a bit more expensive than a Wea rx, yet the Multiplex Rx have no programmability so they are less capable. When I need 12 to 16 channel Rx in my jets, the huge price difference between Multiplex and Jeti really counts. Multiplex can have Rx diversity by connecting two rx but you ned to buy a second full rx which isn't cheap, a satellite as per Jeti would be smaller and cheaper.

So for my needs, all 3 systems have big flaws. My experience of Multiplex for the last 15 years makes me very warm toward the Multiplex Profi but the Rx pricing is taking the piss and it sounds like the software will be nothing better and possibly poorer than the 4000. The Weatronic will be great for my jets but very poor for normal models and rules out any telemetry sensors that I use at the moment in my electric models. That leaves the Jeti DS, I might learn to live with the software and the add-on stick to make the trims useable but I will not pay more for a DS than the DC costs so unless they promptly bring out a DS without the gyros and accelerometers I may go elsewhere.

H
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Last edited by HarryC; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:54 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,532 Posts
Voted for 'other', being the frsky x12D or x16D. Not yet available but does everything I want. Should be a lot of change from $1k though.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:33 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
crap radios like DX18 should not be in this poll....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1499
A new Jeti DS-16 suffered a similar failure. The right hand stick broke off right at the base of the gimbal, resulting in the loss of the aircraft.
Design or MFG defect is still unclear.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:35 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
I have had my 18MZ for about a year and it is a great radio. Programming is flexible to the point that there are several ways to do many things and that can get complex. Also I think that is why no one has come up with a programming guide or manual. When i sat down to program my first model I installed it in (Supra Pro) I thought it would take the whole afternoon but within about an hour or two I had everything working and in the right direction. So about another hour of trimming surfaces and deflections and it was ready to go.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:41 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
And for the Supra that was programming:
1. 4 flight conditions.
2. Butterfly.
3. Aileron to flaps.
4. Aileron to rudder.
5. Rx telemetry alarms.

On some radios it has taken all afternoon just to get butterfly/CROW to work right.

Alan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Mar 2008
155 Posts
If a radio has 7 point curves, it is not a premium radio.
Four Stroker is offline Find More Posts by Four Stroker
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
That all depends. If a radio only has points that move in the Y axis then yes. My 4000 had 13 point curves and I did use them. I nearly always needed the 7 point curve. My new radio has points that can be moved on both axes. I now find I require less points as I can move them where I want. My F3P throttle curve was always 7 points, now only 5 and actually a lot better.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:59 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
Which one is limited to 7 point curves?