HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You are trolling too. and yes. All of your posts had nothing to do with the SSS. After all, you don't even own one. Buy one and then you can join the rest of us and contribute relevant posts.
I don't own one either but have been watching and commenting on this thread because I am considering buying one, and because some discussions concern universal RC issues. Are readers not allowed to post until we have one?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Jan 22, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:48 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Servo retainer for SSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
<SNIP>
Pictures show the plug epoxied into the fuselage (foam is white, plug is white, hard to see, sorry), the wing installed with the plug hanging down outside the fuselage, plug plugged in to the fuselage, everything works. Bench-tested only, still have to clean up the wiring inside and make it pretty.

I haven't had any problems with the plugs on my regular Sky Surfer coming out in flight... yet. May put in a retainer some time.

+1. nicely done. I did somewhat the same thing. I just used two 3-pin connectors to avoid soldering. What would you use for a retainer? The only one that I am familiar with is a blue plastic one from RCTimer. Here are a couple of pics. I have used them extensively and never had a connection problem. What you used looks like a little better connection.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Add pics & link
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:07 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
+1. nicely done. I did somewhat the same thing. I just used two 3-pin connectors to avoid soldering. What would you use for a retainer? The only one that I am familiar with is a blue plastic one from RCTimer. Here are a couple of pics. I have used them extensively and never had a connection problem. What you used looks like a little better connection.
AJ
did the same thing to mine,it is nice to quickly put wings on and off. i used these locking connectors.. http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...nlpconnectors/
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:25 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Yes. Electric motors are even better low end torque. As a rule of thumb, a tow plane typically needs a power system that is about half again larger than what would be used for a sport plane application.
Copied from THIS article.
FWIW-I have a Micro Telemaster and a mini-telemaster. I use the mini to tow my sons Slow Stick slope glider. But, that is an extremely light plane to tow and the mini has much more power than needed. I hope some of this helps you.

AJ
Good article, thanks.

Also, thanks to everyone else who replied to my question about tow planes, I appreciate the help.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:28 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,571 Posts
@Little-Acorn
I too use this method to connect servos. I either use standard servo connectors or MPX-connectors if I have many servos/equipment in each wing. I don't use locking connectors because I've never had a problem with connectors coming loose. However I use strain relief on all cables so when the wing flex it doesn't tug on the connector.

If only a locking connector is used without strain relief there's a risk of damaging the cable or connector in other ways when the wing flex.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
did the same thing to mine,it is nice to quickly put wings on and off. i used these locking connectors.. http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...nlpconnectors/
hmmm... one of those 12 pin connectors would take care of my servos + my LED lights thanks for that link i'll have to order some up
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:33 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I don't own one either but have been watching and commenting on this thread because I am considering buying one, and because some discussions concern universal RC issues. Are readers not allowed to post until we have one?
post away! this is a discussion about the SSS, not just owners of
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
That is a good point.

When I used locking connectors the wiring had an extra inch of wire and the body had 4 inches of spare...

My wings were connected with a 6 position latching connector:

Pin 1 - Ground
Pin 2 - 5v for Servos
Pin 3 - Flap Signal
Pin 4 - Aileron Signal
Pin 5 - 12v to Wing lights
Pin 6 - Ground

My new plane will be the same except the second ground will be 12v to the flood lights.
and it will have another 3 pin latching for the RX in one wing and the VTX in the other...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:36 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
That is a good point.

When I used locking connectors the wiring had an extra inch of wire and the body had 4 inches of spare...

My wings were connected with a 6 position latching connector:

Pin 1 - Ground
Pin 2 - 5v for Servos
Pin 3 - Flap Signal
Pin 4 - Aileron Signal
Pin 5 - 12v to Wing lights
Pin 6 - Ground

My new plane will be the same except the second ground will be 12v to the flood lights.
and it will have another 3 pin latching for the RX in one wing and the VTX in the other...

Chris
i like this pinout, on one side i can stick with a 6 pin and on the other i may have to go with the 12 pin where i've got the vtx mounted, but it will still make transport that much easier
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:38 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
i like this pinout, on one side i can stick with a 6 pin and on the other i may have to go with the 12 pin where i've got the vtx mounted, but it will still make transport that much easier
Ya... I havent installed the new ones... May go with 7 or 8 pin so i can combine the video equipment in there as well...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:18 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
fastfwd, thanks for that link, just ordered 10 sets of 8 pin connectors.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:17 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
I always do all my connectors and solder myself, if you want to keep the connector, just cut the servo wires, solder a new length of servo wire and resolder the stock connector,

I never trust the extensions.
I build my own extension. I used these multiplex connectors at the wings to connect the fuse/rx cables:
http://www.espritmodel.com/multiplex...rs-5-pair.aspx

They have 6 pins so you can gang up the flap and ail servo wires into one connector.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
SSS FPV at Red Rocks

Here's a nice cruise above Red Rocks.

Super Sky Surfer at Red Rocks (9 min 12 sec)
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:53 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Awesome video! I lived in Littleton (Ken Caryl Ranch) from '77-'91. Spent a lot of time climbing around the footlhills (Hogback as we called it),saw a few concerts at Red Rocks and went to Bandimere quite a bit for the high school drag races. That scenery brings back a bunch of memories.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:24 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
622 Posts
I have round about 4 flights under my belt on the SSS. I can barely get it off of the ground with a 3s 4000 mah. With my 4s 4000mah, she is a dream to fly. I've got the align 70A ESC on it, which gets a bit warm, and hot if I am WOT for too long, so I've got to put some vent holes in this. I open to any ideas as to where or how to put holes in it. My esc is sitting on a side of the ledge behind the battery.

Picture 1 shows my custom paint (model masters camouflage grey and krylon clear) Pic 2 is the fpv mount I've made. Wont be doing FPV until atleast a dozen flights. Pic 3 is for fun, my Bixler with new paint and FPV setup.

4S is the way to go with this plane it seems... overall with the cg on, its really nice and easy to fly. I also have fiber tape over the wings and a little below the wings. Outside of that, its stock. Ill be throwing my UHF on there, and hooking up the nova osd when i get comfortable with the system on the bixler, and we'll sit back for some nice long rides
guaglione87 is online now Find More Posts by guaglione87