HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:11 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
Discussion
Sb 9

I got the chance to re-maiden the new to me SB 9 with 2.4 receiver at Eagle Butte Saturday. She flew well and had no bad tendencies. Well other than when it does stall the wings swing and with that much momentum they just keep going until the nose is down and she is flying again. No real tip stall tendencies were noted The wind was 10 to 15 mph and cycling and I got a 10+ minute flight until we sensed the cycle so I landed. The landing was all to easy with about 2mph ground speed on touch down. With the flaps coupled with the ailerons (40%) she rolls very nicely. I still need to work on differential and ail to rudd mix but so far she is close. She has one speed she likes and it is very narrow. It seamed difficult to get her on step and to keep her there. She also felt very neutral so I will add 1 to 2 oz into the nose and see if that helps. AUW 10.8 lbs. Wing loading just under 24 oz/sf. I will be installing a retract in the fuse over the next few weeks and I'll post pics of the install.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Looks great!
Infact, SB - 9 to me is more unfamiliar than SB- 10. SB - 10 to me is back to the childhood when I bought and buildt the Gewalt 4, 33 m thing. I still have it.
I never forget Ottar Stensbøls report on it, doing ten loops at the same height, I guess 25 years ago.
But she looks superb, and I hope all the best amusement you can get from the SB- 9.
The bigger, the better, a good advice.
Gudmund is offline Find More Posts by Gudmund
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
I have searched for info on the SB9 and can find very little. From what I have found only one was ever produced and I can't even find out when. There is a video of a wing test and it looks like early 60's quality. The pilot is slaming the stick left to right and sets up an occolation in the wings that looks quite disconcerting. It maybe why only one was produced.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Would be interesting to see..
Can you serve a link?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Found it. Also found this on Wikipedia:
SB 9: Die SB 9 war ein Flugzeug der offenen Klasse mit 21 Metern Spannweite, der Erstflug fand 1969 statt. Sie unterscheidet sich von der SB 8 vor allem durch eine vergrößerte Spannweite, die auch den gewünschten Effekt erzielte. Die Konsequenz war, dass die Akaflieg Braunschweig die Entwicklung eines noch größeren Prototypen begann, der SB 10. Da die Tragflächen der SB 9 ausreichende Festigkeitsreserven aufwiesen, wurden sie für die SB 10 weiterverwendet, was de facto das Ende der SB 9 bedeutete. Der Rumpf steht heute im Deutschen Segelflugmuseum auf der Wasserkuppe, die Flügel wurden im Winter 2000/2001 grundüberholt und verrichten bald wieder als Teil der SB 10 ihren Dienst.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
SB 9 Flatterfilm (12 min 47 sec)
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
I have searched for info on the SB9 and can find very little. From what I have found only one was ever produced and I can't even find out when. There is a video of a wing test and it looks like early 60's quality. The pilot is slaming the stick left to right and sets up an occolation in the wings that looks quite disconcerting. It maybe why only one was produced.
The SB series of sailplanes are mostly university (Akaflieg Braunschweig) design studies to test and evaluate new features and technologies. They are usually not intended for production.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudmund View Post
Found it. Also found this on Wikipedia:
SB 9: Die SB 9 war ein Flugzeug der offenen Klasse mit 21 Metern Spannweite, der Erstflug fand 1969 statt. Sie unterscheidet sich von der SB 8 vor allem durch eine vergrößerte Spannweite, die auch den gewünschten Effekt erzielte. Die Konsequenz war, dass die Akaflieg Braunschweig die Entwicklung eines noch größeren Prototypen begann, der SB 10. Da die Tragflächen der SB 9 ausreichende Festigkeitsreserven aufwiesen, wurden sie für die SB 10 weiterverwendet, was de facto das Ende der SB 9 bedeutete. Der Rumpf steht heute im Deutschen Segelflugmuseum auf der Wasserkuppe, die Flügel wurden im Winter 2000/2001 grundüberholt und verrichten bald wieder als Teil der SB 10 ihren Dienst.
Here is the translation

SB 9: SB 9 was an airplane in the open class with 21-meter wingspan, the first flight took place 1969 It differs from the SB 8 mainly by an increased wingspan, which also achieved the desired effect. The consequence was that the Akaflieg Brunswick to develop an even larger prototype began, the SB 10 Since the wings of SB 9 had sufficient reserves of strength, they were further used for the SB 10, which meant an effective end to the SB 9 The hull is now at the German Glider Museum at the water summit, do the wings were overhauled in the winter of 2000/2001 and now again as part of SB 10 in service
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:21 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Gotta love those google translations...

Wasserkuppe = water summit
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
What a beautiful model! Did the wings on yours flap like the one in the video? Just kidding. That video is crazy! Great post!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:21 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
Retract

Got the hard part done and now I'm finishing up the doors and the springs
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:53 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,869 Posts
Dave,

Well worth the trouble, to install a retract-- it was the only thing lacking with this model. Everything else about it is so appealing, it definitely deserves the finishing touch of a wheel that drops down on final. Good go, man.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:30 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
The installation is complete. I had to take 40g of nose weight out and she came in at just over 11 lbs. She gained a little over 4oz.
Last edited by davidjensen; Jul 01, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,687 Posts
This is wierd, I just the other day realized I had a set of plan's for an SB7. Some writing ong the plan's say finished Feb. 15 1966 Dan Pruss two other word's printed on the plan's are Schuco and Hegi. I'd be interested to know any further info about the model.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
Here is some basic info

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/braunsch.htm