Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 19, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
Super Sniper 90 XL

Here is a copy of the email I sent HET about the kit.

I purchased a Super Sniper 90 xl kit from you some time ago. I have to say that this must be the worst kit I had ever seen. From NONE of the balsa in the trailing edges being in the correct location for the hinges, all of the wing and tail mounts were broken off, the landing gear rails fell out when you picked up the wing, both the wing and H. stab would crack if you picked it up by the leading edge, to landing gear that is junk. Both wing and tail do not fit in the saddles. Balsa wing spars?? Top hinged ailerons that will not allow for any up throw. You DO NOT top hinge ailerons, you do that to the flaps as they only need down throw. After many mods to fix all that was wrong, tried to get it to fly and the first takeoff roll the landing gear trailing link broke and dug into the runway, flipped the plane and snapped the wing in half.
I had emailed you many months ago about the defects of your kit and recieved no reply. Guess you just did not care about the junk you sold me.
Big Fred
AMA 6651
Fixed wing Turbine CD
Rotary wing Turbine CD
Big Fred1 is offline Find More Posts by Big Fred1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2014, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1,517 Posts
LAYNET.. try posting 1 post at a time.. 1 post split to 5? it's frustrating.. please.
pavlis is online now Find More Posts by pavlis
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,026 Posts
Agree about the plane sub standard construction. but the price should tell you what you got. I have the XL and it had bad wings and broke formers and lots of other crappy parts but it was cheap $$. my dealer replaced all the broken parts without charge.
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Jun 19, 2014, 08:44 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
400 bucks is very expensive for a jet this size. 200 i think it would be ok but 400 it should be pretty good.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Jun 19, 2014, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
Junk HET

I am glad your dealer replaced all the broken items. I purchased straight from HET. What a MISTAKE. They will not even contact me to tell me go fly a kite. Spoke to EJF and they said this is why they are getting out of kits. And I agree on the price, but I do not expect to get something that will kill a onlooker at the field! Being an AMA large aircraft inspector, I am going to have chat with Ilona. Hope all of yours hang in there.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:36 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,026 Posts
with all the kits irregularities and stuff I still managed to get one in the air with minimal effort and lots of Hysol and epoxy
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:13 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fred1 View Post
I am glad your dealer replaced all the broken items. I purchased straight from HET. What a MISTAKE. They will not even contact me to tell me go fly a kite. Spoke to EJF and they said this is why they are getting out of kits. And I agree on the price, but I do not expect to get something that will kill a onlooker at the field! Being an AMA large aircraft inspector, I am going to have chat with Ilona. Hope all of yours hang in there.
--Not trying to start anything, and not disagreeing on the substandard flaws in the kit, but as an AMA aircraft inspector, do you not inspect your own planes before you fly them? I spotted some of these flaws, plus heard about others within this very thread, and addressed them accordingly.
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
Flaws

You would not believe the mods that I did to the plane. Redid all the wing and tail mounts, reinforced the vertical stab and new servo mounting. New fuse formers, all new hinges and mounts, everywhere. Had to glue the wing skin to the spar, new landing gear rails. New elevator servo mounts, remove nose gear formers and made new. But I could not tell that the cheap pot metal trailing link struts would break after a 100 foot take off roll and leave the stub to dig into our nylon runway.
Glad others are up and flying. My fuse was unharmed and I am making new wings for it as we speak, cutting foam cores. Will get rid of the landing gear and put in Eflites with Robart struts.
Old Jul 02, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
31 Posts
Almost done

Worked a ton on the Sniper Monday and Tuesday. It's getting close to being done. My goal is July 4th. I mounted the engine, esc, and thrust tube last night. I tested the engine and was suprised how much air it moved.

I tore out the landing gear blocks and beefed up the landing gear area. My gear was a little big and is sticking out a little on the bottom. I hope it doesn't slow the jet to much. The spring on the front wheel strut is a little weak. May need to replace it.

Only things left to do before I can fly is install the wing mounting t-nuts. Install latch and toung for the canope and route some wires to the front retracts and steering servo. today I purchased a power switch for the reciever battery that I'll have to also mount.

Things that will have to come later are painting the back to look like a thrust nossle. Installing the landing gear door and sequencer. Painting the glassing on the wing joint. Building out the cockpit. Rewiring afterburner lights and mounting them on the thrust tube. My wife really wants me to install a lighting kit so I may have to do that to.

I'll post some pictures when I get it all together.
laynet is offline Find More Posts by laynet
Old Jul 02, 2014, 08:28 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,538 Posts
selling one of these for a friend ...it is in the classifieds ,looks nice in the pics
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
31 Posts
Maiden done

I Maidened the Sniper. My front landing gear needs a stronger spring and is not springing the front back up like it needs to so my take off was pretty long. Once I got up to speed it took off nicely. Needed a several clicks of right trim to level out.

Once I got it flying it was super smooth and flew great. It didn't fly as fast as I thought it would. Although the YEP120 guide I used to configure the speed control had a paragraph at the end that said if you follow these instructions it will not perform to the max and you may need to reset it to defaults. I came in a little fast on my first landing and bounced about 40 feet down the runway. Then touched down good and everything looked fine.

I flew the Sniper a couple more times at a 5th of July club event and everything went good. Although, I did notice a crack in the wing around the retract mount. I'm going to do a good once over and fix up the mount area before I fly again.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:15 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,034 Posts
Sure, blame it on the ESC!!

I guess you chose not to buy the programming card?
There's a thread on it in the Large EDF Jets forum--

Yep 120a Hv

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2000487

Also 2 videos on programming post # 10

Remember, this comes pre-set in helicopter mode, so yours may not be set-up correctly
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
31 Posts
I did get the programming card but wasn't sure what options to change. I'll read through your link and see if I can get it working better. Thanks for the help.