HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Joined Oct 2009
251 Posts
Help!
What do you think about NEU Motors ?

Hi,

This is a general question, they're not cheap. What about quality? Ball bearings? Rotor? Thanks
Alfa Twin Spar is offline Find More Posts by Alfa Twin Spar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
923 Posts
Great motors! I have many small and one large one. All work great!

Michael
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:34 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Neu motors are great motors. The only complaints I have are that it takes roughly two months from time of order to get one and the two times I have ordered motors both motors were configured incorrectly. One was sent without a gearbox and the other was sent with the wrong ratio in the gearbox. The one with the wrong ratio ended up being fine since I ordered a 5.3:1 and received a 6.7:1. It is in an electric glider so I just run a larger prop which is probably better anyways.

If it only took three to four weeks to get them I would have more of them.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:59 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
How do they compare to less expensive motors in terms of performance and quality? Can you get the same bang for the buck elsewhere?

Louis
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:13 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,583 Posts
While I've never owned one, it's my understanding that Neu motors are the Lexus of eletric motors. They are all hand-wound and you get a snotload of power out of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong of course.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:46 PM
Woodbury, MN United States
Joined Aug 2004
270 Posts
Wonderful motors. I run well over 2200 watts through a 1515 series motor and am very happy with it. The motors are well liked by the high performance crowd.

With respect to "are they worth it." If you need to run a top efficiency motor then yes. You can push more watts through a good motor than a poor one since it is more efficient and thereby converts less of the energy into heat. It is the heat that will eventually kill whatever motor you are running. a 75% efficient motor will turn 25% of input energy to heat. A 90% efficient motor will convert 10% of it into heat. You are obviously much better off with the 90% efficient motor in applications where heat will be a factor.
nik_leeson is offline Find More Posts by nik_leeson
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:16 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
I use them in a competition LMR gliders. My unlimited is running 6500 watts in a 1512 and holding up. Just spit the yoke off after it broke in half, but the motors are great.

Ric
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,210 Posts
Wonderfully efficient and gobs of power for the sizes. I have a fistful of them from 1105s to 1910 ORKs and all are top notch performers. Steve wouldn't use them if they weren't the best. He can't afford not to if he wants to win at F5b. Most of that group use Neus, btw.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:23 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
So Neu's are great but if you had to settle for next best, what might it be?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:53 AM
Joined Sep 2006
575 Posts
Scorpion or Hyperion
bob93447 is online now Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:56 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post
So Neu's are great but if you had to settle for next best, what might it be?
It really depends on the application, you know. If you want to pack 1500 watts of power into the smallest and lightest motor you may need the Neu or something comparable, cost no object. Those F5B (hotliner) models are an example - but these are the extreme machines of RC flying. Competition LMR gliders are also extreme performance machines and need extreme performance motors.

But at the other end of the spectrum, old-fashioned freeflight models modified for RC and electric power will fly very nicely with 50% efficient brushed motors that can be bought for a couple of bucks apiece, or 65% efficient cheap no-name brushless motors. Yes, you'll be turning a third of the battery power into heat in the motor, but you may not care if the cheap motor gives you the performance and flight times you care about.

Hyperion and Scorpion motors (now the same, as Scorpion makes the Hyperion motors) are quite good, as Bob said. Hackers are good too. Also MP Jet's (hard to find in the USA). Many people are fans of the AXI motors as well.

Beware of most of the other brands of outrunners sold in the USA, including the ones with big brand names behind them - the ones I've investigated have all been no better than the cheap Turnigy motors, while costing two to three times as much. Total waste of money. Might as well use the Turnigy and pocket the difference in price.

I have aerobatic models with Scorpions and Hyperions and Hackers in them. I have lower performance models with cheap-n-nasty Turnigy motors in them, which perform quite adequately in those models.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:03 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagle View Post
Beware of most of the other brands of outrunners... the ones I've investigated have all been no better than the cheap Turnigy motors
However most Turnigy inrunners are terrible. Bad bearings, poor windings, horrible efficiency. Better to pay a bit more money and get a HET or ARC.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:12 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
agree with the above post -

if you are competing to win you will need either Neu, Plettenberg, Kontronik, German Hacker (inrunner) or Lehner - any of these motors will put you into the top rankings provided your piloting skills are good enough

Your next tier down are the likes of Hyperion-Scorpion, Axi, Cyclone, Arc, HET etc.

after that you have Hobbycity

Bear in mind that Hobbycity will sell you a very usable working brushless motor with ca. 65 or 70% eff. for 12 or 15 bucks ... for "lo-fi" sport applications this is plenty good

The Hyperions and Scorpions aren't that much better in eff. although they are definitely better and more consistent in quality (bearing quality, manuf. tolerances, shaft strength, accuracy of Kv etc.)

these will cost you 3 times as much as the Turnigy Hobbycity stuff

and the top of the line German or American stuff will cost you 2 or 3 times as much again ie easily between 6 and 9 times as much as the Hobbycity stuff.

its your money you decide... the Turnigy stuff absolutely works fine... you just won't win any competitions with it

bb

PS MicroDan are great little outruners - pricey but worth it - however they have a very limited range
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Last edited by big bird; Sep 22, 2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:53 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Louis
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:58 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
So what about ESCs?

So what about ESCs? Can you rank them in the same manner?

Louis