HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2010, 07:41 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Build Log
Hotliner Sport Jet

After seeing Erik v. Schaik's video of his hotliner with a Wemo fan pod on it a few years back:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589243

I was amazed at how fast it was for such little power input (400 watts).

Seeing the efficiency of his hotliner EDF, I thought it would be cool to marry the wing and T-tail from a hotliner to a "jet" looking fuselage......... The result being my current project, the Hotliner Sport Jet.

Specs:

* 59" WS, 350 sq. in. wing
* 1500 watt, 65mm Haoye shroud/Minifan rotor hybrid fan unit (ARC 28-47-2 motor, 8S 2200mah lipo)
* CC HV45 ESC
* Estimated 52 ounce AUW

The donor hotliner was a crashed JP Models Ion Pro that a friend gave me:

I cut out the damaged portion of the wing and fiberglassed it back together...... also chopped off the T-tail as well:

niner555 is online now Find More Posts by niner555
Last edited by niner555; May 05, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2010, 07:52 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Since I was going to scratch build the fuselage, I wanted something unique looking, yet very sleek and aerodynamic. I drafted-up a very basic, hand drawn 2 view drawing. I used good old butcher/freezer paper.....one roll will last a lot of builds

After establishing the basic side and top down views, I moved on to making the former templates....once again, hand drawn/old school lead pencil baby

Last edited by niner555; May 04, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old May 04, 2010, 07:58 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
After getting the forward section templates finished, I cut them out and used rubber cement to glue them onto my balsa sheeting:

Started framing-up and planking the nose section together yesterday.

Old May 04, 2010, 08:07 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,464 Posts
Lookin sweet...and fast
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old May 05, 2010, 02:14 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
Sweeeet 9er!!

I upgraded my Lift-off to A123 and it went to 600W. Here some vids:
http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Emi...k_8-7-2007.wmv
This version has glassed wings unlike the 1st version. You can see in the vid the wing does bent in tight corners so I didn't increase power.

A few weeks ago the stab got damaged at a landing. I was approaching and only a small dot visible when a cloud of birds passed behind the Lift-off. I lost the dot in a blink and it went down. It is an easy repair but the new balsa stab needs to wait until the moulds of the fd1 are completed. Just too much balsa dust I cannot deal with at this moment

Keep those pics coming!!
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:47 AM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
hows this coming along? im realy likeing the look of this, im currently buliding an 80% slipso with a gws40 on top. i think modern high performance F5B F5D models have alot to teach us for scale bulds as well as sport models.
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:52 AM
Camarillo California
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
lets see some flight video !
Kayaker1 is offline Find More Posts by Kayaker1
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:36 AM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Well, after taking a year long hiatus on this project, I am back on it, motivated and ready to get it finished.

I decided to make this jet in sections, so that I could maintain a flat, level jig for each one. With the front structure basically finished, I decided to move onto the center section. This was probably the most challenging bit, because this section contains the fiberglass inlet ducting.

I started with gluing-in the beginning former and the end former.

Using this as the jig, I made a tool for the ducting by drawing up some templates, rubber cementing them to pink foam and cutting them out. Then I just glued the sections together, sanded/smoothed them out, waxed-up the tools (cheap automotive Turtle-Wax ) and put two layers of 2oz. glass over them.

I then trimmed the ends, slit the back of the ducts and pulled them off the tool. As you can see, the wax layer pulled off of the foam tools without any damage to the foam itself. With a couple fresh coats of wax, these would be ready to make another set of ducts if needed.

Everything fit just perfect, I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

Finally, I finished the templates for the rear section, glued them to balsa sheeting and cut them out with my scroll saw.

Last edited by niner555; Jul 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
863 Posts
niner555...That looks great and nicely build to.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:35 AM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Little update......

Finished framing-in the mid-section of the jet to the nose. Installed and trimmed the ducts, made the fan mounts and installed the tail section mounting lugs. I am planning on having a removeable tail section that will attached internally with a long screwdriver, inserted through the tail cone.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:22 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
that is looking very nice. great job so far.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
This is interesting, thanks for the update!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:16 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Finished planking, added the nose and rounded ducting inlets, made the wing fillets and did the first round of balsa filler and sanding.

Taped the T-tail onto the back of the fuselage and now we can see what it is really going to look like.....I am really excited that the vision in my head is starting to become reality

Also taped all the batteries, wires, ESC, BEC, etc. onto the fuselage, just to confirm that with everything in place, I can hit my desired CG. Turned out perfect, with about 1.5" of additional room for the batteries to move around, so I should have no problems being able to fine tune the CG.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Just weighed everything and it is sitting right at 51.9 oz. This is before glassing and painting, so I am guessing the final AUW will be closer to 55 oz. than my originally estimated 52 oz.