HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:19 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Discussion
Show off your GWS E-Starter

Hello everyone. I am sorry if this is a redundant thread. I did look around see if I could find one like it but, was unable. There a million different ways that a an E-Starter could be dressed up and finished off. I thought it would be fun to see what others have done with their E-Starters. Let the showing off begin!
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62
Hello everyone. I am sorry if this is a redundant thread. I did look around see if I could find one like it but, was unable. There a million different ways that a an E-Starter could be dressed up and finished off. I thought it would be fun to see what others have done with their E-Starters. Let the showing off begin!
Hi indy,

That's a great idea you have! I've actually gone through 3-4 E-Starters in the last year, and am doing another one right now... and I've just built them plain, with no decals or paint. One of these days, I'll have to at least apply the decals to one... I do, however, very much admire some of the beautiful planes that others have built!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 02, 2007, 01:15 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
A few pictures to get things going.(hopefully)

Here are few shots of my E-starter. I filled the foam with spackle and covered it with Econokote. The floats were filled with spackle then sealed with waterbased polyurethane and painted with cheap spray paint.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
That is a SHARP looking color scheme!!!

I really like that one...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 03, 2007, 09:03 AM
Over the Hill, 3rd Oak Tree on left
Joined Nov 2005
218 Posts
That's sharp Indy..

How did you copy the GWS decals to another color scheme ? They look identical (size & shape) to the original decals.

CS
Captain Speedy is offline Find More Posts by Captain Speedy
Old Dec 03, 2007, 02:31 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Thanks Captain Speedy. To answer your question, I just used the decals included with the kit to make templates. I used a hobby knife to cut along the decals all the way through the paper backing. Then I taped them to the Econokote and followed their outline with the hobby knife. They aren't perfectly straight but, they look like they are from a few feet away . It was getting to be spring weather and I got in a bit of a hurry. I really hope some other folks will post their photo's. I'd really like to see some other things I could incorporate into my next GWS build.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 02:17 AM
Boulder, Colorado USA
Joined Nov 2007
102 Posts
I don't know if there is much to show off here, in fact I think you could call my plane the ugly-starter. While it is only several months old and my first plane, it has gone right from virginal white to dirty, taped, pocked, and pitted (epoxy from one small crash as well). She is a working bird - hauling up a forward facing digital camera to shoot aerial video... which also involves belly flopping into the weeds - so I doubt that I'm going to go out of my way to give her a handsome livery, but I do need to add some color as dirty white is not best color scheme on a cloudy day or when it has just snowed. I am happy with my mods, though, and would highly suggest a twin servo/oversized aileron setup for the wing (I never even tried the stock aileron setup but have heard less than stellar things about it). With 1 3/4" ailerons she'll roll just like a sport plane, and with the tower pro 2409-18 brushless motor, there is no problem achieving unlimited vertical (albeit sans camera). Even with the five oz camera onboard she still flies really well and can climb out at at least forty or forty-five degrees. The 2409-18 is my second motor as the 2409-21 did not have the performance I was expecting (I do live at 5200 feet). The 2409-21 (1st motor) is much lighter than the GWS 400, so I needed some extra weight up front and built a custom landing gear setup complete with shock absorbers and springs. While the first version was too soft, the second incarnation, complete with a second RC car spring, worked really well. It was super cool to land it on rough, uneven, ground and see the suspension smoothing it right out like a Cadillac. Unfortunately, after making the switch to the heavier and more powerful 2409-18, the added weight to the nose created CG issues (as well as prop strikes when the suspension was deflecting). Shortly thereafter, I modified the plane for aerial video, and in the interest of weight, decided to do away with the landing gear altogether. Nonetheless, it was a cool homespun engineering project and fun to see in action. It'll definitely make it onto another plane.

I love the e-starter. It is my first plane so I guess I have nothing to compare it to, but I've also been an aviation buff since childhood and have to admire any plane that can be at once sporty, mildly aerobatic, while also being forgiving and capable of some great slow flight. My impressions are also guided by the fact that I never have tried out the stock e-starter, only the "up-aileroned" / brushless variety. I can definitely see where power and roll rates would be lacking on the stock plane.

Now I'm thinking its about time to build another and leave the old one as a dedicated AV ship. Several ideas have crossed my mind:

- making a twin, though not the actual GWS e-starter twin kit, but instead by buying another wing and mounting two 2409-21s onto it. The wing loading would still be amazing and you'd have around 40 oz of thrust!

- modifying a super cub wing to fit onto the e-starter fuselage. I've already bought the wing, but have yet to start working on it. I live in Colorado and not to far from here is some amazing, high altitude, scenery that I'd love to be able to shoot with the digicam. I've flown the plane once at 9000 feet without too many problems (a little fast on approach), but I think going much higher might present more issues. My goal is to be able to take it to ten or eleven thousand feet and shoot video. I actually don't think this altitude would be such an issue if I wasn't carrying the camera, but the 30 percent extra lifting area afforded by the cub wing would probably help make the plane land and fly a little slower at that altitude. There are a million cool places to go shoot aerial videos around here - natural settings - but I find myself landing in some interesting places in terms of topography and ground surface, so having two wing options might be nice.

well, I think I've been babbling on about the e-starter for long enough. If you want to check out some of my videos, I have them posted at

http://www.stage6.com/user/lightblue/videos/

you'll have to install the divx web player plugin (the site will prompt you). The thanksgiving flight video features an extremely lucky and unplanned landing on a rock strewn hill. got very lucky. I also have one of the vids posted on youtube at

RC plane - evening flight over Boulder, Colorado (4 min 9 sec)
blueswan is offline Find More Posts by blueswan
Old Dec 05, 2007, 09:58 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
Hey blueswan,
Thanks for posting the photo's of your E-Starter. They are exactly what I was hoping for when I created this thread. I don't think that anything that is purpose built and performs it's task well is ugly. You knew what you wanted your E-Starter to do and built to do that job. I had never seen a windshield camera mount, rock crawler suspension, or jumbo airlerons, added to an E-Stater before. One of my favorite things about this hobby is the ingenuity it brings out in people. For example you were faced with the problem of rough landing area's so you built a custom landing gear to deal with it. These airplanes never cease to amaze me with insane number of modifications we can do to them to make them better fit our needs. I had a thought on on your desire to slow your plane down at altitude and on landing. If you have a computer radio you could program in a little flaperon. That would also give you some added lift for shorter take off if you ever went back to using landing gear. Thanks again for posting the photo's of your cool plane.

indy cv-62
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:05 PM
build,fly,crash,rebuild
Asheville, NC
Joined Jun 2005
62 Posts
Beauty Indy! Great job on the floats. I have a set I'm putting on a modified GWS Beaver and I'll have to try the spackle / seal / paint method.
SkidBreaker is offline Find More Posts by SkidBreaker
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:33 PM
New to the site!
Hermiston Oregon, USA!
Joined Nov 2007
17 Posts
Here is my E-Starter. The idea behind the paint scheme is the old clown planes you used to see at airshows. I painted all the parts before building, all the control surfaces are blue to contrast with the rest of the plane. The cowl has hand drawn and hand painted flanes on it. This color design has the added benefit of being easy to see in the air! My wife drew the little people in the "windows" screaming at my flying skills
Never got it off the water with the floats, did not seem to want to rise off the water. But it looked good sitting there
Hotrodman is offline Find More Posts by Hotrodman
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:49 PM
build,fly,crash,rebuild
Asheville, NC
Joined Jun 2005
62 Posts
Niiice! Man you've got to get a ROW......more power!!!
SkidBreaker is offline Find More Posts by SkidBreaker
Old Dec 05, 2007, 06:46 PM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
HiYa, SkidBreaker.
Glad you like it! Hope you have great success with the floats. I assume you are building a set of GWS floats. If you are, the toughest part is attaching the plastic hulls in my opinion. I used five minute epoxy and really had to get after it to get them straight and sealed before the epoxy kicked off. I also should mention that I used Testors spray enamel as opposed to the "cheap" spray paint I thought I had used. I used Minwax Polycrylic to seal the foam prior to painting. I'd love to see your (snicker) Beaver when it's done .

Hotrodman,
Great color scheme! I've never seen a clown plane at an airshow but, I have seen a clown whirlybird and it was as brightly colored as your bird. What power set up are you using. I'm using a cheap bell style outrunner and a two cell lipo. It's no barn burner but, it has enough power for me and my flying skills and will ROG or ROW with the floats on it. Thanks for posting your pics.

indy
Old Dec 06, 2007, 08:58 AM
New to the site!
Hermiston Oregon, USA!
Joined Nov 2007
17 Posts
Thanks for the compliments

I am running a cheap outrunner as well, and a 2 cell LiPo. Does just fine without the floats, is a really fun plane to fly. I might throw one of my 3 cells in there and see if I can get it to ROW.
Hotrodman is offline Find More Posts by Hotrodman
Old Dec 07, 2007, 12:38 PM
Clear Lake, TX
Clear Lake, TX
Joined Oct 2007
51 Posts
Hi All... first noob post... I built my first plane (e-starter) and flew it last month... totally stock and a LOT of drag - painted with regular spray paint that totally screwed the styrofoam... obvioulsy wasn't thinking what the heck I was doing. It barely flew with the stock 400, D gearing and the cheap small yellow GWS nicds or nimhs... anyway, I have been on realflight for over a year and was no problem flying it, even in some pretty good wind. I was hooked... even though it would barely climb. So after reading this great forum and others, I am starting to build a second one - have everything but the kit - coming early next week. Kind of the ultimate e-starter... I am using all the mods (save the bobed wings) that I have read about and putting more than enough power into it (wanted something I could use later). I have been into cars and my uncle has gotten me hooked on planes - his main flyer is a 1/3 scale YAK.

Here is what I am doing...

e-flite park 480 910kv outrunner mounted on the fuselage
e-flte 40amp V2
3S TP elites 2100
Vario Prop 3 blade w/spinner 5 inch blades (each, not total diameter), variable pitch tuned with a whatts up. (or 11x7E 2 blade)
Trike gear with steerable nose - dubro 1/2 gear and ultralite treaded wheels
Carbon fiber rods in the wing, stab & Fuselage
Carbon fiber rods for the wing spars
Slightly larger Balsa ailerons
dual hiteks in the wing for ailerons
glassed with Poly and .5 oz cloth
scoops from Hobby Lobby to get a little more air to the esc
Lights for some dusk flying

Should be a little heavier than the stock set-up with Nicds, but I wanted something tough and powerful that still had the e-starter (slightly heavier) flight characteristics.

I am going to take my time building it.
bfischer is offline Find More Posts by bfischer
Old Dec 08, 2007, 10:33 AM
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
bfischer,
That sounds like a heck of an undertaking! I hope you will decide to do a build log here on RCGroups. I'd would love to follow this build.