HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:34 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky22 View Post
Kinda spoiled, that Lancaster flys over our field a bunch. Our Warbirds over the bay event, they came by and circled.
I've only seen the Lanc fly once, back in 2002. that year I flew in a Harard and a PT17 on the same day, as well a ride in Bell 206 helicopter.
We had the Air Museum in Owen Sound last summer with the B25. We waited for 3 yrs for that one due to weather.
I'll be there in Hamilton if I have to hitch hike all the way!! hehe. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:19 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
61 Posts
update

Great progress for me this weekend. Wings are now fitted to the fuse. Hatch fit is adjusted, latch installed. Also finished installing the wiring and speed controllers, and added the air intakes.

Paul
Paulofthenorth is offline Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:28 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
She's looking great Paul!! Another day or two she'll be ready to maiden, right? This Mosquito is a big project, everything in it takes a lot of thought and work. It going to be awesome!!
I haven't worked on mine at all until today for almost a week, waiting for servos for the LG. I refiled the LG arms to have them travel a little farther over centre today, then made up a mini clamp to test for securing the LG when the power is off. It seems to work ok, so I need to mass produce them now- hehe.
I also reinstalled the reciever with a satelite rec and rebound the entire unit. Believe it or not, finding room between the main battery and the Rx is limited.
After I confirm Cg again, I may move the fuselage servos back towards the tial to open up the area around Rx, there is a big pile of wires there with all the "Y" and "W" connectors!! Doug B
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:49 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,140 Posts
Grate work on your Mossie Doug you've done a whole lot in a short time and she looks fantastic. I'm still working on my build Slowly I've jumped off the Mossie and on to the P-38 since the beginning of new year but will be getting back to it soon, I've still have a few thing to work out w/ the landing gears and flaps. I'm not sure if you've ever taken a look at my Brian Taylor MKIV Mossie NF build but when you get the chance here's the link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557631

Good luck with the rest of your build,

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Thanks for the encouragment Bruce.
I have this affliction, that once I start something, I have to finish it asap. I believe it may be inherited. Being stalled right now for parts is vexing.
I have watched your build, and hope you get back to it soon, good luck. Doug B
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:21 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Parts finally arrived. I spent this morning setting up 2 new Turnigy 180D MG servos with backplates and plywood arms.
Then I went to my shop and completely tore down the clutch/ primary drive on my Harley to find and stop an annoying leak! Spring is just around the corner (according to Wiarton Willie)!! Leak was found, a couple of seals/ gaskets, and it will be good as gold.
Then back into the house for the next project. You will see two pics, one shows the wing wiring coming in over top of the fuselage servos. I had mounted the fuse seros as far ahead as I dared trying to save adding weight to balance. It turns out the battery (main) had to be as far BACK as I could get it, and still maybe slightly nose heavy.
I decided to move the fuselage servos back, giving the wiring far more room for hookup. I have lots of room to move the main battery ahead if needed.
Two more pics show the little sample LG clamp I came up with, it will secure the LG down when power is shut off. I've already come up with an improvment on this, it works, but could be easier. I'll have to make 6 (3prs) for the consortium.
I couldn't find any extra large washers for the standoffs, so I made up some straps from .050 aluminum. When I went to install them, it was obvious there was no Locktite on the screws!! There IS now, hehe!
Now to get the wings back on the table and R/R the main LG servos (197oz BMS 660DMG+HS and install the doors servos. A busy day. Doug B
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:26 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,133 Posts
I have heard people are often surprised when balancing a Mosquito. I read from one experienced modeler that when he examined the layout and the moments, the motors extend far enough from the wing in the nacelles it is not so far off from a normal single engine in the nose model--the twin motors make up the difference in placement. As you have found out, it is not going to be that hard to get the CG where you want it...Pete M
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:49 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,345 Posts
Nice tidy up of the wires!
That was well worth the effort wasn't it?
All of a sudden the fuselage looks more capacious.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:39 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
I have heard people are often surprised when balancing a Mosquito. I read from one experienced modeler that when he examined the layout and the moments, the motors extend far enough from the wing in the nacelles it is not so far off from a normal single engine in the nose model--the twin motors make up the difference in placement. As you have found out, it is not going to be that hard to get the CG where you want it...Pete M
Hi Pete: I totally agree, my past experience with twins has had its share of complications in getting CG. We all assumed right from the start the battery would likely need to be as far forward as possible. Big surprise to find it back as far as it could go, and need spinners and exhaust covers! All is assuming the plan CG is correct. Everything I've uncovered says its fine. Doug B
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:55 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Nice tidy up of the wires!
That was well worth the effort wasn't it?
All of a sudden the fuselage looks more capacious.
Hi Robin: As you could see by the original setup, all the wiring from both wings where coming in directly over the servos. It also made getting all the connections very difficult, just finding the right ends to connect.
I ended up moving the 3 servos back 2". There's still going to be a mess of wires, at least now they have a place to lie. I was concerned the wires may tangle with the servo arms at worst, or cause electrical interference all jammed up against the Rx.
I normally use two channels for ailerons, but have decided to use one this time. That frees up channel 7 to drop bombs!! hehe. Of course thats another days work. First, I'll have to unglue the bombs from the fuselage! Then designs a release system to work on staggered bombs. OH<WHAT FUN!!! Doug B
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:08 AM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,168 Posts
Doug,

goto ebay & search for 'fourmost'. They make a great release mechanism.

Also look at this sequencer from Hobbyking.....

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...f_Switch_.html
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:40 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
Doug,

goto ebay & search for 'fourmost'. They make a great release mechanism.

Also look at this sequencer from Hobbyking.....

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...f_Switch_.html
Hi Dangaras: I looked up the release, its way too big for my application, I'll have to devise a dual rod system with a toal height of approx 1/8".
I will not need the sequencer as the open channel on my JR9303 allows Aux2 switch to have off, #1 and #2, and the servo slow function will control travel speed. The new Turnigy 180D's (180 degree travel) will allow enough throw. Thanks for the links, they may come in handy for other things. Doug B
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:10 PM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,345 Posts
I think I would do the bomb release from a servo using a fore-and-aft wire with spurs off in 18swg so that each bomb can be released in a pre-set order. This also allows you to bomb up in the reverse order with careful operation of the control knob.
it's the old wire loop and pin system again! Remarkably versatile - anything that wants fixing.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:04 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I think I would do the bomb release from a servo using a fore-and-aft wire with spurs off in 18swg so that each bomb can be released in a pre-set order. This also allows you to bomb up in the reverse order with careful operation of the control knob.
it's the old wire loop and pin system again! Remarkably versatile - anything that wants fixing.
Hi Peter. Thanks for thinking this thru. Brilliant minds think somewhat similar - hehe. Haven't had time to DO anything, but have been thinking about it. I'll come up with something. The bombs are 1 1/2" diameter the opening to hang them is 1 5/8", not a lot of room to "hang" from, whatever the design it has to be tight against the bombay roof ( within a 1/16"). Because I'll be using a 180 degree servo, I can put some serious travel in the pin mechanism. Doug B
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:46 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,345 Posts
A 180 servo that's NOT a retract servo? (I hope - can't see anyone bombing up with 4 bombs with that speed!)

Actually the lateral movement imposed by the servo arm means that either an intermediate linkage between servo arm and release gantry would be needed or perhaps 20 swg might be required for enough flexibility to get around the problem.

Maybe a tiny transverse slot cut in the bomb bay roof for the location of each bomb in turn - which will have to be done by feel alone on the field, and a length of fine tube finishing immediately ahead of each for the wires to retreat into glued to the roof...

If the top of the bomb could have a slight groove ahead of its wire loop (glued into the bomb) so as to be able to feel the tube as well as the slot that would be more positive.

There can't be many ways of doing the job in that space!
Have fun!
Robin