St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMiTry View Post
whats the best radio that has the most channels for around 400 bucks
We need more information. Are you flying helos, sailplanes, aircraft, micros, etc.?
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Dx8 :d
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,256 Posts
Your first radio?
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg View Post
Dx8 :d
yep!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,330 Posts
Hey now,
Ok, here's the thing. "best brand" will get a lott of heated discussion. Everybody has their loyalties. I'll say Multiplex, another person will say JR. Still another will claim Futaba and so on. They're all pretty good. Worst? Maybe we could tell you that. It doesn't even matter much at all whether sailplanes, helis, or fixedwing power. What matters more is what brand have you been doing, what your flying buddies are using, and if you want to play with a particular brand of ultra micro models.
First, if you've been flying say, Spectrum and have several of their recievers then you'd want to be able to keep using them. So buy Spectrum or JR. As they're comparable. If you've been using Futaba, Sectrum recievers won't work. So you're better off staying with Futaba. See what I'm saying? Good.

If you don't have a bunch of recievers already you may want to stick with the brand comon to your crowd. That way if you run into trouble with programming or set up, your buddies can help because they know that system.

Of course if you've got a thing for the nifty Horion ultra micro models then youll need comparable gear so but Spectrum or JR. Get it? Cool.

That pretty much covers the practical side of things.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
im flying airplanes and i need a new radio i have a dx6i and im upgrading to something better with more channels. im buying a 3dhs 71 aj slick and i dont want to crash a expensive plane like that so it needs to be reliable and i heard futaba is the best the fasst system.
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
edit post removed.
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Mar 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMiTry View Post
im flying airplanes and i need a new radio i have a dx6i and im upgrading to something better with more channels. im buying a 3dhs 71 aj slick and i dont want to crash a expensive plane like that so it needs to be reliable and i heard futaba is the best the fasst system.
The dx6i should have all the channels you will ever need for the slik. Why do you need more than 6 for that type of plane?
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:54 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
spend a little more and get an Aurora 9 and dont look back.

GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, MD, Glen Burnie
Joined Mar 2012
331 Posts
everybody is telling me that the futaba 8fg is the best radio for 400 bucks. people tell me that other radios that use spectrum spread technology have had brownouts before and something to do with futaba that makes it impossible for that to happen but anyways i guess its more for saving my plane from something like that happening.
VENOMiTry is offline Find More Posts by VENOMiTry
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:33 PM
Who Dat!
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
the 8fg super is a fantastic radio. i have a buddy at my club who flies one, but he's always trying to get his hands on my radio.. so there you go.

they are both great choices.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,144 Posts
Aurora 9! http://www.hobbyhorse.com/hitec_aurora.shtml 350 you can get 2 rxs with it and a 3rd free one from hitec with there promo right now. Good deal. Touch screen, 9 channel, backlit, 30 model memory, heli acro and sailplane modes. I love my A9, only downside is(and this is only if you put cheapo RXs in your planes) you can't buy knockoff receivers for cheap like you can with spektrum and futaba. Here is a comparison but these are for under 500 but as i showed you can get the A9 under 400.
Transmitters under $500 (8 min 17 sec)
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,144 Posts
I don't think the jr is available in the US. And while i prefer the A9 the futaba is probably pretty good too. 14 channels is a lot didn't think i'd ever need all that so i went with the touch screen and easy programming. A friend of mine has the dx8, i prefer the Aurora
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:48 PM
Who Dat!
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
another thing to consider, Hitec support is second to none. you can call at just about any time of day and get a person on the phone who actually is familiar with the product youre calling about. ive talked to annoyed Mike Mayberry himself at least 5 times with questions about my radio. everyone there has been very helpful and upfront.

also, the A9 comes from the factory set so it can use a 2s lipo stock. all you have to do is change one setting in the touch screen menu. a 2s 2500mah lipo will last for weeks without needing a recharge.