HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
UK, Isle of Anglesey, Holyhead
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Yes, or at least most of it, I can have a small amount of it coming out to connect to the pom horn - which is actually mounted on the bottom of the elevator.
Ok, there are two problems with the route you are trying to take.
Firstly, the push rod outer tube needs to be supported to stop it flexing and the pressure comes on the control serface. this is usually done by glueing it to a serface about every 3 inches, with your pushrod in the boom this is a VERY difficult thing to do and secondly, if you still want to route the push rod down the boom you will have to cut a slot in the boom to allow the push rod to exit the boom about 2 to 3 inches in front of the control horn to allow the gentelest curve in the outer tube.
The other thing to consider is every time you make a hole you are taking away some of the strength.
Why not onsider routing the push rod along the outside of the boom? I think that was how it was ment to be originally.
Marty B is offline Find More Posts by Marty B
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty B View Post
Why not onsider routing the push rod along the outside of the boom? I think that was how it was ment to be originally.
this is what i am suggesting too

putting it inside the boom appears to be really wonderful until you figure that there also has to be a (fuselage weakening) exit, and connection, and any repairs will be horribly complex to access

i reckon my "straight back along the top of the fuselage" idea is a winner

but the tube they supply to route it through is crap - hence my other tube suggestion as the way to go - i.v. tubing is great for my needs, but any small and hard plastic tube which you can glue at intervals as a guide / stiffener for the carbon rod will do fine - the chuppa chup stick, the things that come with cotton wool ear buds, look around - there's a plethora of free or cheap options
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
I agree with Scruffy. The simplest answer is usually the best and you will see here and on other forums people are always saying "KIS" it stands for Keep It Simple!
Last edited by Marty B; Feb 19, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
I actually did that and put the push rod on the outside before I looked back here, I couldn't see any other solution. Now I have to mount the servo for it and wait for my RX and battery to come.
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty B View Post
I agree with Scruffy. The simplest answer is usually the best and you will see here and on other forums people are always saying "KIS" it stands for Keep It Simple!
Thanks for the edit. LOL...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:28 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
DARN it! I totally screwed up the fiberglass tape. After all of the comments about sanding the wing before applying it, I completely forgot! It dried, but isn't flush with the colors of the wing. I'm uploading a video for you to see the plane and how I mounted the elevator servo... I'm going to have to modify the canopy for that to work right, too...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
Dan we have a saying "measure twice, cut once", it means don't rush and think it through. Take your time mate, it ain't a race.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
Yeah, I know.... I've heard that saying before. It just totally slipped my mind, and I don't know how it happened. Oh well, can't do anything about it now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
Here's the video...

Binary 900 DLG Build (3 min 8 sec)

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Dan,

If you want to redo the fiberglass tape you can sand that off and try it again. Next time, try to just tack it into place on the trailing edge. Then you can pull it straight and do a nice job. Just little at a time wick in the CA and rub the area with a plastic wrap covered finger and work your way across the entire seam. Don't be afraid to let the glass cloth hang beyond the wing edges. It will easily sand off after the glue hardens. I wish you were local, I'd just come over and show you.

The servo is too big. You need some smaller ones so that you can get the pod hatch cover on. Also, it's advised to have all the servos, receiver and battery before you commit to installing anything. That way you can loosely set them in their proposed positions and check your balance before you commit to fastening them down. Also, if you cover the servos with masking tape before you glue them in, you can get the servos back out in the future for other projects.

For your pushrods... the stuff you are using looks too heavy. Go to RC builder.com and order some rod and sheath fro, them. It's much lighter and works fine.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,278 Posts
If you used CA to put the glass on, you "MIGHT" be able to use A LITTLE BIT of acetone to soften the CA, then pull the glass off.

Notice I put the "MIGHT" and "A LITTLE BIT" in capitol letters. I'm not certain how the Binary wing is made, and the acetone could eat away the paint and/or foam inside the wing. Maybe someone else who knows the plane can chime in of if they think this would work.

Another option is to take a lot of time, with a VERY little bit of pressure to sand all the glass and glue off the wing, giving you a clean surface to start over with.

Don't give up on it just yet. Be patient, seek answers from those who know, THEN build.

DLG's aren't usually "slap together" models like foamies are. Patience while building can result in a finished product that is MUCH more enjoyable to fly.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
Hmmmmmm... I will see what I can do. Thanks for the advice!

Back to the working table....

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
Like Mr Wiz, I wish I were closer to you! I admire you for what you are attemting but as my last post says, just slow your self down a little. the are loads of threads on this forum about building DLG's which although takes a little time to read through it would be time well spent.
There is another Noob Thread just started and in it this site http://olgol.com/TabooGT/build1.html is mentioned, have a look .... it's good and I used it for reference when I bilt my Akcent!
Here is how I put the guts in my Binary:
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,525 Posts
I took off the fiberglass tape!!!! Some of the fiberglass came off and left bare foam in some spots, though. I will sand it and then use more fiberglass tape/cloth to reinforce it. I'm surprised that it actually came off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
What was/is the wing covered with? Bare foam won't be a problem if it was covered with plastic film. If it was covered with glass then you are going to need to beef it up in that area. Also, bare foam will dissolve when exposed to regular CA. You'll need foam safe stuff. At this point, Id use laminating resin to re-do the glass tape.

It's like the other guys are saying.... slow down a little and give us a chance to guide you through the process. I know, it's a new cool plane and you want it in the air as fast as possible but trust us. A little patience here goes a long way.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older