Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:12 AM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Discussion
Proboat 47' MLB US Coast Guard rebuild of the motor life boat

This has been a GREAT boat - right out of the box.

The Proboat 47' Motor Life Boat (MLB) sporting US Coast Guard colors.

I figured since it's been about a year now - and the relatively recent purchase of another one - I'd do a little something different. I've seen others rebuild their MLB's and the results were amazing. Vspeeds SFPD, Mr Legos/ Cape Caution (paramedic)... and others builders, I had to try something too.

So, I'm setting out to start a build thread seeing they are becoming more popular now (have been out of production since (what? ...around 2008)) and in case someone else plans on a rebuild of their own.

This boat started out as an ebay sale. "New" never used and what Hobb-e-mart listed as "the best one we have ever seen pass thru our store". Also the last one they have sold complete since. They were right. Upon arrival - it was incredibly nice (detailed) and aside some small shipping damage, (couple cleats fell off and the life float cracked) it was perfect.

The cleats were easily returned back to their locations. The top of the life float is made out of very thin styrene abd will break (crack) easily. I actually had plans to add a motor to make the radar beacon rotate anyway which would mean cutting this open anyway. Instead UPS did it for me. But before working on it, a bandaid repair and set it out to the water. I had to make sure it ran first. It performed great. Sharp cut turns and fast ...and looked great on the water.

Soon it will have a new look. New color scheme. And a few details that the stock version didn't come with.

More to follow.
Fodigo is offline Find More Posts by Fodigo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:17 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
What do you use for the rubber on the side of your cool docks?
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:21 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
i guess I will throw a pic of mine in. Need to take a few of it on the water since they look great running.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:00 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchthis View Post
i guess I will throw a pic of mine in. Need to take a few of it on the water since they look great running.
What did you rebuild on that?
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:43 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
absolutely nothing. Actually I did do one thing. I rebuilt but didn't modify the towing line on the cabin because the abs plastic holding the spool in got smashed apart in shipping. Good as new now. Also made something to hold the antenna tower straight when the elastic line from the flags has tension on it.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:31 PM
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2010
92 Posts
This will be great!
I'm still deciding how I want to "refresh" mine
Greg
G1ST is online now Find More Posts by G1ST
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:27 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1ST View Post
This will be great!
I'm still deciding how I want to "refresh" mine
Greg
please do! Make your own design! or follow one of the original boats.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:16 AM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6789boat View Post
What do you use for the rubber on the side of your cool docks?
Oh, just some rubber tubing I got at the hardware store. I tried different thicknesses. The red is heater host - black is cold water hose for a laundry maching. Home depot, orchard supply warehouse usually has this stuff on spools so you can buy by the foot. Took metal sheers and split it in half. Screws on each end stretched but before screwing the last end, spray foamed the lumen of the tubing to 1), bond it to the dock and 2), add flotation.

I eventually spray painted over it. By the way, it's been about 9 months in the water on and off and still works like day one.

However, I found a better solution for boat dock bumpers ... Rope!

Went to OSH and pitched up some bulk 5/8 white cotton rope. I've used this before. I affix using a hot glue gun and stretching the rope... And hot glueing some more (repeat). Looks good. Lighter in weight. But doesn't help with floating so add styrofoam under the dock if you plan yo use ropes

Here's a pic of part of the new Rc boat dock in working on. So far, 1300 Popsicle sticks used.

MLB update arriving shortly.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
fodigo, I noticed in your photos and when we meet up that you have a history of having the light tower crooked or missing... whats up with that? haha
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:03 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
383 Posts
very good job, I am on the same way.

Did you sand off the old white paint, before paint red? is it a spray paint or brush paint.
how many layers of paint the fiberglass can stand before it get crack.

wher did you get decels for words, flags, etc.
modelerchina is offline Find More Posts by modelerchina
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelerchina View Post
very good job, I am on the same way.

Did you sand off the old white paint, before paint red? is it a spray paint or brush paint.
how many layers of paint the fiberglass can stand before it get crack.

wher did you get decels for words, flags, etc.
Paint isn't an anvil, it won't crack it. I just sprayed the red and touched up parts with a brush that needed to be painted red.

All decals and flags were custom made by me.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:23 PM
British columbia
Joined Nov 2008
29 Posts
I found a Midwest MID0896 kit for $360 shipped to BC Canada from California. Is that the right price or can someone suggest anything else? I am interested in building a Canada Coast Guard MLB as I am crew on one of them presently.
Can someone tell me the difference between Proboat and Midwest? Which is better? I want to paint it Canadian colors if that makes a difference.

Emblems:http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=88&pg=12
drpower is offline Find More Posts by drpower
Last edited by drpower; Feb 07, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:37 PM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Good question. The Midwest sold a bit cheaper than the Proboat. (proboat $590 range) but not sure exactly the Midwest range. I think closer to $350 but that was way back when they were being made. These boats have since been discontinued. The Midwest has a styrene upper hatch and proboat has a fiberglass one with some styrene details. Both have fiberglass hulls as far as I know. The Proboat has watercooling an comes RTR. Midwest was a kit that required purchasing more (and assemlbly) to get it running. Mr Lego can tell you more about the Midwest. I can only tell you what I know about the proboat.

If you can get the Midwest for less than $375 equipped, I'd think your in the ball park.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
I sent him a pm with all the details on each kit so its all covered!