HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
Build Log
Steam launch

It’s time to start a new build. This time I will attempt a steam launch or should I say a false steam launch, more on that later.

One of my favorite boats is the Bunker boat that appeared in Model Builder back in the late 70’s. I built one back then, I have started to refurbish it but it's on hold at the moment. About 3 years ago I increased the size of it by 120%, 36” to 45”. Any way I just love the lines on the hull, to me it is classic from the early 1900’s. So I plan to use this hull for my steam launch. I will increase the original plans by 110%, 40” long.

I found this web site of a launch that looks like what I have in mind.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/..._victoria.html

I will change the hull from plank on bulkhead to plank of frame.

The attached picture is of my original Bunker boat, being refurbished and in the back ground the same boat increased 120%.
EdLokken is online now Find More Posts by EdLokken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:56 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
The first picture shows the frames laid out on 3/16” aircraft plywood. The second is the frames and keel after being cut out.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:01 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
The frames have been attached to the keel and ready to start the planking.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:59 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
Starting to plank with 1/8" balsa about 1/2" wide.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:16 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Hi Ed; Nice looking model. What does a Bunker boat do? I think your larger scale boat looks better because of the size but in any size that style boat has a nice sheer line and is nice to look at. Will you be using real steam? That's something I'd like to try sometime. And where is "The Villages"?
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,810 Posts
Nice work so far Ed. What do you use to cut out your parts?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
Norgale, the bunker boat was a fishing boat used on the east coast. The early boats were coal fired, later some were converted to diesel. They were build around the early 1900’s to the 50’s. They were from about 90’ to 135’ long. My understanding is their catch was used for cat food and also used for perfumes.

Both the smaller and larger model looks very good in the water, but a larger model, to me, always looks much more stately.

Will I be using steam? Wait a few days, I have something new in mind.

The Villages is about 50 miles north of Orlando. It is a retirement community, currently about 75,000 residents, when completely build out 110,000. It covers about 26,000 acres. We now have 9 championship and 24, 9 hole executive golf courses, and more being built. 40- 60 pools and a bunch of other things to do. Here is The Villages web site. www.thevillages.com

Kmot, thanks. I use a small Sears band saw to cut the ribs. I find this to be an invaluable tool.

Ed
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
A couple more planks added. The opening in the bow will be filled with a balsa blocks.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:09 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
The planking is all on. Rough sanding with 80 grit sandpaper then gave it a coat of water base polycyclic to stabilize the balsa. Then sanded with 220 grit. I then filled the low spots with DAP Lightweight Spackling and sanded again with 220 grit.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
Joined May 2006
290 Posts
do you have digital copy of the plan?
john_auberry is offline Find More Posts by john_auberry
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:51 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
John, sorry, I got my plans from Bill Northrop's plan service. He doesn't have a web site. His ph# is 702-896-2162. He takes calls 10AM to 4PM PT zone Mon- Fri. He advertises in Flying Models.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
Got the deck cut out and attached. Do some more sanding and the hull will be ready to cover with fibre glass.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 06:55 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,272 Posts
Beautiful Ed, can't wait to see more! 'specially when you get to the varnish and brass part...

Bunker boat: Bunker is one of many local names for the Menhaden fish. The east coast Menhaden fishery was (is?) the largest in the US in terms of tonnage... but the fish is bony and nearly inedible... used like Ed said for industrial purposes, also including fertilizer. Maybe for that reason the Menahaden fishery is not widely known outside of the regions where the boats sailed from- big in Virginia, but also around FL and up to New England.
A good reference book (and maybe the only?) is "The Men All Singing", a reference to the mostly black crews who used "chanty men" to lead the work songs which were so useful when manually hauling the nets in from their longboats (the two boats carried aft on the bunker boat).
It was mostly day work, with the boats returning to port every evening. But a few menhaden boats joined the Navy in WW1, and navsource.org has pictures of them in France...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:22 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Nice work indeed, Ed!

Don't you folks have a large EC12 community there in The Villages?

Chuck
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:02 AM
The Villages, Fl.
Joined Oct 2002
533 Posts
Chuck, yes there is a lot of sail boaters here in The Villages. They hold a couple of events during the year, it brings in a lot of other boaters from around the area. Also a smaller class of boats that sail every Monday and Wednesday. In the winter there may be 20 or more racing.

Got the fibre glass on using the West System. All is going well.