HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:07 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,334 Posts
Not to be a cynical, but flying behind trees is just asking for trouble. 2.4 ghz can be blocked by them. What frequency transmitter are you using?
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:59 PM
Lower Blue Mountains, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
326 Posts
Scherrer LRS. The fact that I got a failsafe is not the problem; I'm curious if there is someway I can force the RTH to climb before turning when a fail safe is triggered.

I reason I feel comfortable flying low amongst the trees is that I have a tried and tested RTH setup. I've never found myself in a situation where the initial banking in RTH has caused a problem until now. I guess it was just an unlucky place to be when it engaged, but it just seems like commonsense to have the RTH climb to clear any possible obstacles before changing course?
Dr. |2udie is offline Find More Posts by Dr. |2udie
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:47 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. |2udie View Post
Scherrer LRS. The fact that I got a failsafe is not the problem; I'm curious if there is someway I can force the RTH to climb before turning when a fail safe is triggered.

I reason I feel comfortable flying low amongst the trees is that I have a tried and tested RTH setup. I've never found myself in a situation where the initial banking in RTH has caused a problem until now. I guess it was just an unlucky place to be when it engaged, but it just seems like commonsense to have the RTH climb to clear any possible obstacles before changing course?
If you're flying between trees, the odds are not much better that you'd avoid them by going straight all the way up to the cruise altitude before starting your turn.
Noircogi is online now Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2006
326 Posts
Except that you would only have to increase altitude by say 10m (unless you're talking hugely tall trees) to reach the safety of open sky, which I'm sure most models would accomplish in a couple of seconds. I guarantee that you would not have been flying on such a course that would allow you to crash into trees immediately ahead of you within those same couple of seconds if you gave no further inputs.
Take my case; had the plane climbed, it would have cleared the trees in about one second (that is, if I was even flying directly torwards).

Anyway, I gather by these responses that it's not possible to make this change in the RTH?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 05:54 AM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
709 Posts
In my testing of RTH the plane turns as it climbs to RTH altitude if you're below or desends if you're above. But it always turns towards home right away. Eagle Tree would have to change this in the firmware and add the extra features.
Fast Guy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. |2udie View Post
Except that you would only have to increase altitude by say 10m (unless you're talking hugely tall trees) to reach the safety of open sky, which I'm sure most models would accomplish in a couple of seconds. I guarantee that you would not have been flying on such a course that would allow you to crash into trees immediately ahead of you within those same couple of seconds if you gave no further inputs.
Take my case; had the plane climbed, it would have cleared the trees in about one second (that is, if I was even flying directly torwards).

Anyway, I gather by these responses that it's not possible to make this change in the RTH?
The problem with this question and proposed solution is that there will always be someone with another scenario who's model could have been saved if the OSD responded in a different way.
Take the guy whose model was destroyed when his OSD attempted to fly straight, and climbed right into the giant Oak because his model Failsafed as he was turning through the clearing half a second before the big Oak.
Had the OSD turned his model toward home before it started to climb his model would be fine right now.

You need to know your equipment and understand what it will do, and fly in a way that takes into consideration how your equipment reacts.

Because I know through testing the OSD turns toward home immediately it detects a failsafe, I don't fly behind objects.

Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Jul 15, 2014, 03:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
Because I know through testing the OSD turns toward home immediately it detects a failsafe, I don't fly behind objects.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, that's what I was after
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:53 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
708 Posts
S bus

How do I get the S bus receiver to work?

Thanks
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida