Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Discussion
Really need some help deciding..

Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I am going to try and make this quick for the sake of everyone.

I am looking to purchase my first Non-Foamy, as well as, my first 3D style plane.

I have a flying field near by complete with asphalt runways, but would like a plane i can land/takeoff on short grass as well.

Please Note* i have been lurking for a while now, and have read all the official threads on these planes.. Needless to say it didn't help make up my mind.

I have narrowed it down to these, (so i think, please toss out other planes if they would be better suited for me)

The Extreme Flight Edge 540T-EXP
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/48edge.html

Precision Aerobatics Addiction X iPAs Pro Package
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=645

Precision Aerobatics Bandit IPA Pro Package
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=697

- Would like cost under $550.00 for everything (frame,servos,motor,esc,battery)

- Prefer the plane have at least a 48" wingspan but no bigger then 60".

- I would prefer to keep it a 3S setup mainly because this will by first balsa plane, as well as, full 3d style.

- I like the PA Pro package because honestly, i have no idea what motors will work with the EF edge and which ones wont. The thought of having it all in the box sounds nice!!

- I intend to fly it like a normal airplane with some loops, barrel roles, knife edges. but i want the ability to Hover, Hairier, blenders, pop tops, things of that nature. I understand all three of these aircrafts will far exceed my ability, however i have been stuck on them for over a month now and i want to purchase one.

(I have looked at 3dHS but everything is out of stock)
BLAKK is offline Find More Posts by BLAKK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:13 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,449 Posts
Give this a look:

Quote:
Would like cost under $550.00 for everything (frame, servos, motor, esc, battery)
About $425 to 450 for the edge if you get it with the power system combo and get the servos somewhere like Tower. Then you'bve got $100 for batteries.

Quote:
- Prefer the plane have at least a 48" wingspan but no bigger then 60".
Well, the 48" Edge is, uhhhh, 48 inches.

Quote:
- I would prefer to keep it a 3S setup mainly because this will by first balsa plane, as well as, full 3d style.
The Edge is great on 3s, especially for learning 3D, but eventually you will want to fly it on 4s because it is simply so bad ass.

Quote:
- I intend to fly it like a normal airplane with some loops, barrel roles, knife edges. but i want the ability to Hover, Hairier, blenders, pop tops, things of that nature. I understand all three of these aircrafts will far exceed my ability, however i have been stuck on them for over a month now and I want to purchase one.
Set it up like the manual says and you can sport fly it on low rates and 3D/extreme aerobatics it on high rate. Best of both possible worlds.

(I have looked at .....(others) .....but everything is out of stock)[/QUOTE]

I believe there are plenty of Edge EXPs inb stock as of right now but I would not mess around too long. I'm ordering another one tomorrow.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Jul 27, 2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Give this a look:

About $425 to 450 for the edge if you get it with the power system combo and get the servos somewhere like Tower. Then you'bve got $100 for batteries.

Well, the 48" Edge is, uhhhh, 48 inches.

The Edge is great on 3s, especially for learning 3D, but eventually you will want to fly it on 4s because it is simply so bad ass.

Set it up like the manual says and you can sport fly it on low rates and 3D/extreme aerobatics it on high rate. Best of both possible worlds.

(I have looked at .....(others) .....but everything is out of stock)
I believe there are plenty of Edge EXPs inb stock as of right now but I would not mess around too long. I'm ordering another one tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply, and the link.

I wanted to order the EF Edge 540 with the power combo, unfortunately the combo is out of stock.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:35 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKK View Post

I wanted to order the EF Edge 540 with the power combo, unfortunately the combo is out of stock.
Call the shop and tell them you want the combo. You will receive and be charged now for the airframe now and when the power systems come back in stock you will get the whole discount then. Curtis can explain it a lot better than I can, but don't worry.......Extreme Flight will take care of you.

Power systems are genreraly out of stock for about two weeks, and I have been told more are on the way.

This is a very old video, but this is what you can expect from a 30C 3s pack in this plane............

Last edited by Doc Austin; Jul 27, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:20 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Call the shop and tell them you want the combo. You will receive and be charged now for the airframe now and when the power systems come back in stock you will get the whole discount then. Curtis can explain it a lot better than I can, but don't worry.......Extreme Flight will take care of you.

Power systems are genreraly out of stock for about two weeks, and I have been told more are on the way.

This is a very old video, but this is what you can expect from a 30C 3s pack in this plane............

Once again doc thank you for reply and the video! awesome flying!!

Now dont light me on fire for asking, but in the instant i dont want to wait for the power combo.. Would this setup from Hobbypartz work in the plane?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...45a-combo.html

I am new to building a plane thanks for tolerating me.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:52 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,449 Posts
Quote:
Now dont light me on fire for asking, but in the instant i dont want to wait for the power combo.. Would this setup from Hobbypartz work in the plane?
I really don't know because all I will ever fly is Torques. Some bargain motors are really good, and others are simply smoke generators.

Also, you do want to wait because you want the Airboss ESC that runs the servos on 6 volts. That, and with the combo price, you are not spending that much more than you would be for stuff that might not be so good.

Omega makes good Motors. Mortolfly makes good motors, but neither is a Torque. If you just can't stand it and have to buy the motor now, I am sure someone here knows which one to tell you to get.

Quote:
I just got out of the hospital and have very little strength, but you can find everything I know about these planes on my blog. I can talk all day but it hurts like hell to type..
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:58 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Once again doc thank you for reply and the video! awesome flying!!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...45a-combo.html

Hi BLAKK. Was reading through what Doc was telling you and he has great advice. However if you can't wait for a motor combo the one you mentioned is a bit heavy. The motor you have listed says 285 grams I belive. Way to heavy. The Torque motor is 130 grams. Try to keep the weight close to that. You might try something along the line of a Sunnysky 2820-950 for 3s. Then look in to a ZTW 45-55 amp esc. Buddyrc.com carries the Sunnysky motors and you can check out Quantum Hobbies or Altitude hobbies for the ZTW esc's. Hope that helps some.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
Hi BLAKK. Was reading through what Doc was telling you and he has great advice. However if you can't wait for a motor combo the one you mentioned is a bit heavy. The motor you have listed says 285 grams I belive. Way to heavy. The Torque motor is 130 grams. Try to keep the weight close to that. You might try something along the line of a Sunnysky 2820-950 for 3s. Then look in to a ZTW 45-55 amp esc. Buddyrc.com carries the Sunnysky motors and you can check out Quantum Hobbies or Altitude hobbies for the ZTW esc's. Hope that helps some.

Thank You!

I am wanting to get the Edge ordered ASAP. I spoke with EF today and they do not have an ETA on the power combo said it may be a while out..

I want to get everything ordered and get the bird flying asap. I just do not know what motor/esc to toss in her? I will look at the ones you posted
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
http://www.buddyrc.com/ztw-mantis-45a-esc.html

Would that ESC be sufficient to run the SunnySky 2820-950 on 3S ?

Appears i can switch the Bec to 6V and everything else?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 01:24 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,659 Posts
If you can afford the extra 20.00 bucks the 65 would give you some headroom.
http://www.buddyrc.com/ztw-gecko-65a...h-8a-sbec.html
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:44 AM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
If you can afford the extra 20.00 bucks the 65 would give you some headroom.
http://www.buddyrc.com/ztw-gecko-65a...h-8a-sbec.html

Thank you good sir! I will grab that ESC for sure..

As far as the prop goes, what would be a good combination with the sunnysky motor and 3S setup?

Does anyone know what size of 3S i can fit in this plane??

Also i have (40) of the Hitec HS-65MG SERVO on their way. I assume i dont want to run anymore then 6volts to them?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:54 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,449 Posts
Quote:
Also i have (40) of the Hitec HS-65MG SERVO on their way. I assume i dont want to run anymore then 6volts to them?
No, those are fine of 6 volts, but you do not want 40 of them. Hi Tec Has just come out with the HS70 and HS5070MH which fit the same hole and will be much better servos. I'de say cancel that order and order just four.

Quote:
I am wanting to get the Edge ordered ASAP. I spoke with EF today and they do not have an ETA on the power combo said it may be a while out.
Latest unofficial guess I have heard is two weeks. I believe the Torque and Airboss, especially at the combo price, is well worth waiting for. Order the plane and tell them you want the combo. You will receive and be billed for the airframe, and when the power system comes in, you will get the entire disco8unt then. Call Curtis and the warehouse and he will explain it better than I can.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:57 AM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
No, those are fine of 6 volts, but you do not want 40 of them. Hi Tec Has just come out with the HS70 and HS5070MH which fit the same hole and will be much better servos. I'de say cancel that order and order just four.
haha typo! i meant (4) I will look into canceling the order!

Edit**

I canceled my original order, where is the best place to purchase said servos??

PS. Hope you are feeling better Doc!
Last edited by BLAKK; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:00 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,449 Posts
Quote:
haha typo! i meant (4) I will look into canceling the order!
No, those are fine. I just couldn't imagine why you would want 40 of them!

I'll be getting a set of 5070s any day, but I do not know when they will be on the open market. soon, they promise.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
No, those are fine. I just couldn't imagine why you would want 40 of them!

I'll be getting a set of 5070s any day, but I do not know when they will be on the open market. soon, they promise.
Well maybe i will re-order the 65's or 85's? and then update them once the new ones are available.