Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:33 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,440 Posts
Why not just use a spinner with a folding prop?
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:48 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer View Post
Why not just use a spinner with a folding prop?
For power flying sure.

For slope gliding, especially doing aerobatics close to the ground, the spinner and motor would be vulnerable. So the idea might be remove the spinner only, put a hollow cover to protect the motor during slope flying.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:01 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,440 Posts
Good point.

Another tried and true idea: use a "power Pod with a pusher prop and motor mounted on top of the wing at the CG? The power pod would be removable and mounted on top the motor is more protected than on the nose. maybe this ideas has already been tossed around and thrown out. What do you think?
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:48 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Good point.

Another tried and true idea: use a "power Pod with a pusher prop and motor mounted on top of the wing at the CG? The power pod would be removable and mounted on top the motor is more protected than on the nose. maybe this ideas has already been tossed around and thrown out. What do you think?
I'm personally not thrilled with a power pod because being off the center line induces more drag. At least with it mounted in the nose it's mostly the same frontal area
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:02 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Once I've made the accommodations for the motor, swapping it in or out is only a matter of minutes...that's likely what I will do to change for slope or power flying.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,459 Posts
Here's a thought... Mount the motor on a second firewall with pins that extend back and through the permanent one. Use wires or cotter pins to keep it from escaping. Do something similar with the EPP nose. Pull the pins, swap it and re-pin it
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:21 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2006
153 Posts
All we need now are some plans...

Ron in SoCal
rrunyan is offline Find More Posts by rrunyan
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:13 AM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Nov 2010
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrunyan View Post
All we need now are some plans...

Ron in SoCal
That sounds like a plan!
Buenperro is offline Find More Posts by Buenperro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multifun
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:40 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
The team is finalizing the plans. We are trying to incorporate the features of each design group shown below.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:52 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,459 Posts
I seem to build a lot in the stress group
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:41 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Mad Stab Adjustment

For the Mad Stab (+- 90 all flying elevator) a lot of exponential is required to prevent over controlling in normal flying. The pull/pull 2pes system provides lots of mechanical expo and is a simple solution for the Mad Stab.

If the elevator requires much trimming and the servo am is not nearly parallel to the pull lines, you end up with too much expo in one direction and not enough in the other direction.

In the plans, their will be a method to set the boom accurately. Setting the stab parallel to the boom will then get the elevator close to perfect to begin with.

So far for fine tuning ( to get both the servo arm and the elevator neutral simultaneously) I would adjust the strings back at the elevator control horns; a bit tedious and difficult to do at the slope.

I think I've figured out a better way for fine tuning the elevator trim. The idea will be to use one of the screws on the servo arm as an adjustable reel.

With regard to the sketch below:

1) Tie a simple knot on one of the screws and lock in place with a wee bit of glue...probably CA.

2) After the glue has cured, add a couple of wraps of each sting around this screw; forming a reel system.

3) Then wrap the stings around both screws in opposite directions as required to make the 2pes system.

The reel screw should allow simple minor adjustments to the elevator that can easily be made at the slope if required.

I'll try this idea out soon. Maybe it will stimulate other better ideas?
Last edited by leadfeather; Mar 07, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,440 Posts
How about using small telescoping CF tubes in each line? You can adjust tension and length and then CA the 2 or 3 inch long telescoping CF tubes together. Or, get a scale turnbuckle for each line?

My Fusion Wing core has been shipped from Flying Foam.
Last edited by TomFlyer; Mar 07, 2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:44 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,459 Posts
Quote:
How about using small telescoping CF tubes in each line? You can adjust tension and length and then CA the 2 or 3 inch long telescoping CF tubes together. Or, get a scale turnbuckle for each line?

My Fusion Wing core has been shipped from Flying Foam.
Dubro sells rigging couplers which can be used with small nylon klevises to tension and adjust pull-pull systems at the servo end.

http://shop.dubro.com/p/rigging-coup...read-qty-pkg-4
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:56 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Tom's coupling connector suggestion would be adjustable if you used a short length of heatshrink tubing instead of Ca.

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:00 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Surfimp used this one from Du-Bro on his LeFish with good results.

The simple screw system I posted above should allow very fine tuning with the simple twist of a screw...if it works.
Last edited by leadfeather; Mar 07, 2014 at 09:37 PM.