HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:48 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
I just ordered one of these. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am SO EXICTED. And disappointed in myself I took so long to get one these. They look truly amazing.

I got the SUV, of course. I love that it looks more like a real car. And the SUV design makes it seem even smaller, IMO (because SUVs are bigger)
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:08 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Soooo I think after years of enjoying micro rc toys I think I finally learned my lesson on storing lipos fully charged. Today I discovered I might have a couple $100 in useless batteries :-/ I haven't been able to used them in a long time and always used to store them fully charged. I guess I used them enough in the last that it never was an issue. I ordered a decent charger for the first time and I'll have to all my batteries :-(

So this got me thinking: With a truck like this - with a built in lipo - should it be run to 50% battery if it's going to be sitting for more then a day or two?
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:25 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Soooo I think after years of enjoying micro rc toys I think I finally learned my lesson on storing lipos fully charged. Today I discovered I might have a couple $100 in useless batteries :-/ I haven't been able to used them in a long time and always used to store them fully charged. I guess I used them enough in the last that it never was an issue. I ordered a decent charger for the first time and I'll have to all my batteries :-(

So this got me thinking: With a truck like this - with a built in lipo - should it be run to 50% battery if it's going to be sitting for more then a day or two?
I don't see the reasoning/rationale for doing that.

Why would that help? Why do you select 50%? What voltage is 50%

Cells can go bad for many reasons - sometimes from failed cell chemistry, sometimes from leakage due to a low volt protect circuit designed in China instead of America, sometimes due to other factors.
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:28 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantraco View Post
I don't see the reasoning/rationale for doing that.

Why would that help? Why do you select 50%? What voltage is 50%

Cells can go bad for many reasons - sometimes from failed cell chemistry, sometimes from leakage due to a low volt protect circuit designed in China instead of America, sometimes due to other factors.
The "rule of thumb" I've been seeing is that lipos shouldn't be stored fully charged - around 4.2V/cell. They should be stored around 50-60% charged. Or 3.85V/cell
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:38 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
The "rule of thumb" I've been seeing is that lipos shouldn't be stored fully charged - around 4.2V/cell. They should be stored around 50-60% charged. Or 3.85V/cell
If you connect a bare lipo cell to a circuit the nominal voltage of a fully charged cell will be around 3.9V. Google up Nominal Voltage, it's kinda tricky, and I know what you are saying now.

Yeah, store after fully charging = 3.9V - that's what the factory that makes it does.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:58 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantraco View Post
If you connect a bare lipo cell to a circuit the nominal voltage of a fully charged cell will be around 3.9V. Google up Nominal Voltage, it's kinda tricky, and I know what you are saying now.

Yeah, store after fully charging = 3.9V - that's what the factory that makes it does.
Sounds good! I won't worry about my little ultra micro too much :-)
Old Apr 03, 2014, 11:39 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good! I won't worry about my little ultra micro too much :-)
Yah,

Lipo's hold their voltage well in storage, but shelf life might only be 2 years sometimes, so if a toy maker uses surplus cells from SEG market, you might even get less shelf life. Sometimes cheap cells could be old stock. Some brands I would trust more than others too.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:34 PM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
Hello, I have a question
micro small gears in car
Why were made of plastic?
Why were not metal ?
Thank you in advance
tamer_drmz is offline Find More Posts by tamer_drmz