HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,135 Posts
Question
Where to mount ignition

I'm building a 91 inch wingspan Stinson 108 ARF with a gas engine that has a rear mount Pitts style muffler. I see that some people mount the ignition to the engine mount box, often on the top however I don't have room on the top so it would have to go on the side. My question is would heat be an issue for the ignition in that location or would it be best to mount it inside the airframe?
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,487 Posts
You can mount the ignition model in any attitude that you need to. Upside down, right side up, on either side or vertical too. I probably would ensure it has some airflow and is somewhat protected from the engine heat though, especially the muffler.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:53 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
I have mounted mine on the side with no problems......just keep it away from the receiver or the antenna
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:20 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,032 Posts
I have mounted them on the side of the engine box, Under the engine on the mount standoffs, inside the rear of the firewall. All the locations worked out well. Some manuals tell you to mount it where it gets cooling air. Some say that inside the firewall is OK. Some say wrap it in foam, some say mount it with velcro.......... RCxel makes most of the ignition systems in use and they are not too specific so I guess as long as you keep it away from the radio/servo's it is fine to mount it where you can.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:25 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,135 Posts
Well I guess I'll just try a few different places and see what works, maybe I could mount a heat shield below it to keep the muffler heat away. Below the fuel tank might work too. I have another plane that has a very narrow fuselage and space is tight and the ignition and the RX are maybe 6 inches apart, didn't seem to be a problem but only has 2 flights so far.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,032 Posts
I had it mounted under the tank on a 60 Pulse. It worked fine there. Seems the only things to avoid, other than keeping it seperated from the rx , are vibration and muffler heat. I do use rfi filters on all my servo wires also.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old May 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Oct 2011
169 Posts
Fokker,

Where do you install the RF filter rings on the servos? Where it meets the servo, or where it meets the receiver? Thanks.
RC Erik is offline Find More Posts by RC Erik