HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:58 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
952 Posts
Help!
Need tips on installing push rods inside boom

Anyone have any good tips on how to install pushrods inside a boom?

How do you glue the tubing against the inside of the boom?

Thanks for any advice.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:05 AM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
856 Posts
Put a piece of music wire inside the pushrod tube, then use magnets on the outside of the fuse to hold the tube firmly to the inside of fuse. Run thin CA inside the fuse along the tube, wait for it to set and you are done.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Feb 2005
76 Posts
Do as John suggest, but additionally, put 2-3 wraps of masking tape around the push rod housing every 2 inches or so. This will better bond the CA to the rod.
soarx4 is offline Find More Posts by soarx4
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:17 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walter View Post
Put a piece of music wire inside the pushrod tube, then use magnets on the outside of the fuse to hold the tube firmly to the inside of fuse. Run thin CA inside the fuse along the tube, wait for it to set and you are done.
Nice tip! Just remember to put the fridge magnets back on the fridge

Knock or break old motor magnets out of dead electric motors for this kind of use. They are also good for hatches etc
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Last edited by ozmo01; Mar 02, 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: pour spelin
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,355 Posts
Eddie:

What John Walter suggests is the most common way to do it, and works well. I endorse it.

This also works: fix the tubing (with push rod inside) to the external fuselage at one end, then pull it tight at the other. When it's tight, CA the other end. In the one case I have had of looseness inside (I could hear something banging when I shook the boom), what I did was stuff a packing peanut down the boom. I've done push rods this way on many airplanes (including my two, present Blaster 3's; and a 2-meter Dove I found in 2009) and nothing yet has ever come loose in flight or otherwise.

It's an esthetic thing for me. The best bet is still to run the push rods outside: you can see them, they are secure 100%, there is no measureable drag.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:22 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
HI Hog,

It also helps to lightly sand the push rod housing to take off the glossy sheen.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Jan 2010
288 Posts
Its a good idea to also wrap tape around both ends of the tube to prevent CA from getting into the tube while gluing. It would reduce the inside diameter of the tube if it got in.
Airbud is offline Find More Posts by Airbud