HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HeliGriff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:07 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliGriff View Post
For example, my pirouettes are actually better with the battery mod than before! Before, my heli wanted to backup in a pirouette.
Did you see the Align 3Gx system has pirouette stabilization?
I can get hands free pirouettes with my 1300mah batteries. But, I have to reset the gyros for my stock batteries or it backs ups in pirouettes, like yours. There may be some coupling between the Ail/Ele axises. But, that's just a guess.
I actually don't know what the limits of the forward C.G. are, as I stopped testing it at a 9/16". Pitch was very sluggish at that setting and I wouldn't want to have it there all the time.
I saw the Align video. Incredibly stable. Thanks.
dsobbe is offline Find More Posts by dsobbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:37 PM
my mental eXcape!
USA, Ohio, Catawba Island
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobbe View Post
I can get hands free pirouettes with my 1300mah batteries. But, I have to reset the gyros for my stock batteries or it backs ups in pirouettes, like yours. There may be some coupling between the Ail/Ele axises. But, that's just a guess.
I actually don't know what the limits of the forward C.G. are, as I stopped testing it at a 9/16". Pitch was very sluggish at that setting and I wouldn't want to have it there all the time.
I saw the Align video. Incredibly stable. Thanks.
Don't know about you, but the BUG is biting!
HeliGriff is online now Find More Posts by HeliGriff
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Don't know about you, but the BUG is biting!
I know what you mean. It is tempting. But, having been there years ago, I also know that both the cost and maintenance go up by the square root as soon as you get into aerobatic helicopters. I'm getting a little older. I get just as big a kick now out of just being able to fly a reliable helicopter on my front lawn without driving to the flying field as I used to doing inverted hovers and flips.
But, if you haven't done those things, it is still worth doing. Go for it!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:43 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
I know what you mean. It is tempting. But, having been there years ago, I also know that both the cost and maintenance go up by the square root as soon as you get into aerobatic helicopters. I'm getting a little older. I get just as big a kick now out of just being able to fly a reliable helicopter on my front lawn without driving to the flying field as I used to doing inverted hovers and flips.
But, if you haven't done those things, it is still worth doing. Go for it!
I know what you mean! I should have started this hobby when I was much younger, had more money to blow, and I could actually have seen the thing when it gets a block down the street!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
917 Posts
Lol! I've heard that said by a driver of a Lamborghini. Where the eyesight is concerned Fatshark or some other video goggle manufacturer should integrate a HD camera so that it can autozoom onto our helis, and at the same time do a picture-in-picture if there is FPV gear installed... Age friendly
nese is online now Find More Posts by nese
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Getting old stinks. I'm not going to do it again.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Getting old stinks. I'm not going to do it again.
You old farts! I'm getting younger with age (55 this year)! Why do you think I've collected four helis in the past six months? I won't go down without TOYS!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
917 Posts
I believe my eyesight is actually getting better with all that concentration on the moving heli... and so is my hand-eye coordination. I don't know about you guys but I'm flying for health reasons
nese is online now Find More Posts by nese
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
I believe my eyesight is actually getting better with all that concentration on the moving heli... and so is my hand-eye coordination. I don't know about you guys but I'm flying for health reasons
What! I thought it was to attract women. No wonder it hasn't worked.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:43 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
What! I thought it was to attract women. No wonder it hasn't worked.
Are you saying that I stopped lifting weights and started flying for nothing? That would explain the problem!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Best LiPo Charger/Balancer

...Picked up some new equipment! Got tired of charging for hours upon hours. Tired of dragging out five cheap chargers. This ONE charger will charge six batteries at a time in minutes!

I bought the iCharger because it has the highest wattage, volt, amp rating for the $$$, according to the experts. Get it here http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_1

I also picked up an optional 350W Power Supply for the house and a Paraboard for multiple charging without adapter cables. You choose the paraboard that matches your battery connectors. Works off the car battery too!

This is a real LiPo battery charger/balancer! The cheap ones that come with the heli do not properly charge the batteries through the power cords (red/black). Instead, they back-feed power through the balancer connection and that's not a good way to charge batteries!

From a V200D01 to a Trex 600, this charger will charge 'em all. See my charge settings in Post #76.

Note: My CP 450 uses Deans T-type connectors. So, you'll need JST to T-type adapter cables.
Last edited by HeliGriff; Nov 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:25 AM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Main-Shaft Sleeve Mod

I've completed Dsobbe's "Main-shaft Sleeve" modification. This mod, along with the Dsobbe "Battery Forward" mod eliminates all pitch-up problems and makes the V200D01 "feel" like a bigger heli while in flight.

Instead of brass, I used 3/16" aluminum, so it's difficult to tell anything has been done at all. The sleeves appear in the photo not to be cut-off squarely. Actually, they are cut squarely. However, I bevelled the OD of the tubing on each end so that it did not interfere with the swashplate.

This mod is a "must do" if you are trying to gain "realism" when coming out of forward flight. The battery mod (Post #55 of the previous page) mostly improves the heli's attitude coming in and out of banking turns. Together, these mods really stabilize the heli. In fact, I had to reduce the gain settings on the ELEV/AILE Extends in order to allow the heli more agility. That's how much these mods help to stabilize the V200D01 & Classima 300, both shaft-driven tail models.

I have one V200D01 with the "Sleeve Mod" and the other does not have it yet. They fly very differently, now. Both have the Battery Forward Mod, which should be done right out-of-the-box IMO.

Try it!
Last edited by HeliGriff; Jul 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:01 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
One Fast Battery Charger!

After charging my 3S 2200mah 30C in under an hour, it was time to charge my V200D01's batteries; 2S 1200 25C.

It only took 12.. as in Twelve.. as in a Dozen.. as in 10+2.. MINUTES!!! Now that's fast!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,022 Posts
Quote:
I've completed Dsobbe's "Main-shaft Sleeve" modification. This mod, along with the Dsobbe "Battery Forward" mod eliminates all pitch-up problems and makes the V200D01 "feel" like a bigger heli while in flight.

Together, these mods really stabilize the heli. In fact, I had to reduce the gain settings on the ELEV/AILE Extends in order to allow the heli more agility. That's how much these mods help to stabilize the V200D01 & Classima 300, both shaft-driven tail models.
Thanks. This was all the result of what these forums are all about. People sharing ideas and experiences.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
my mental eXcape!
Joined Jan 2011
4,318 Posts
Second Test..

I did the "Sleeve Mod" on ..D02 last night! My ..D01 was modified last week. Time to test!

Got some GREAT flying in today! Four batteries through with rock-solid performance. I was able to do some LARGE circuits, fast fly-by's, and high-approach Nose-in Landings. Woohoo! The wind really picked up and began gusting, but the V200D01 with Battery & Sleeve Mods sliced through the headwind with ease, for a perfect nose-in landing at my feet. I have to get one of those cameras! ..Gonna order it right now!

I went indoors to Fly the last battery. I first moved the battery ahead another 1/4 inch so I could do some nice, flat, pirouettes without the tail dipping.

A GREAT DAY! Now I'll fire-up the iCharger and be ready to fly again about 15 minutes from now. Who knows, I may get another session in today!

Happy flying!