Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:23 PM
Joined Sep 2005
989 Posts
Discussion
Compact 2.4Ghz transmitter

So does anyone make a (decent) compact 2.4GHz transmitter? I want to put together a "travel" plane, but it seems the limiting factor is increasingly the obnoxiously bloated size of the standard transmitter.

I'm of the generation that grew up with video games, so a console gaming sized/styled controller would suit me perfectly well, particularly for the kind of flying that I do. As long as it had trims, expo, and v-tail/mixing.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
So does anyone make a (decent) compact 2.4GHz transmitter? I want to put together a "travel" plane, but it seems the limiting factor is increasingly the obnoxiously bloated size of the standard transmitter. I'm of the generation that grew up with video games, so a console gaming sized/styled controller would suit me perfectly well, particularly for the kind of flying that I do. As long as it had trims, expo, and v-tail/mixing.
GWS 2.4GHz Parkflyer Radio System Review
Ideal for those used to "gaming"

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:10 AM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
I look for a SPEKTRUM MLP4DSM range extender, but I don`t know how. I need a range around 1000 feet. I have COX MIXER built in.
John
johnkielsen is offline Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Last edited by johnkielsen; Nov 03, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
I saw tiny 2.4 transmitters that come with Ready to Fly compact foam planes in the same box. Check Horizon Hobby.

I don't know if they sell radio separately.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:56 AM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
Thank You John Kim
But the range is around 300 feet.
John
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2005
989 Posts
The GWS unit seems to lack v-tail and expo.

The closest thing so far is the E-Flite controller that comes with the Blade MCX RTF, but even that lacks v-tail.

Does anyone know if that transmitter can bind to other DSM2 RXs? Or if it has any other quirks or hidden switches for mixing?
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:57 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,046 Posts
I'm thinking about adding a Fly Dream DIY module to the MPL4DSM. This would give me a very small full range transmitter. Not sure yet if the module will fit inside, but even strapped on the back it's still a compact package. The module uses 3.3v and has low current drain, so should be fine on 4 AA cells.

The Fly Dream receivers range down to 1g in weight for a 4 channel! I have used the "large" 4-channel (3g!) and had excellent range (nominally 500m). I've used FD since the spring with no problems.

For details of Fly Dream in North America, go to:

http://www.rc-modules.com/

If I need V-tail or elevons, I'll use a mixer in the model.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:52 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
If the MPL4DSM is the TX that comes with things like the mSR, I doubt it has a PPM stream that you can use with other modules unless someone has found a hack that I haven't seen.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:29 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,161 Posts
Quote:
The GWS unit seems to lack v-tail and expo.
I bought one of the GWS TXs specifically for a travel setup.

I dont use expo even when I am flying with my 35Mhz RD6000, so I do not miss that. Lack of vtail is not an issue either, just get a vtail mixer from eBay for $5, small and light.

There are two travel planes I have which I fly with the GWS TX, one is a Weasel Sloper, goes back in the box, it needs the Vtail mixer and flys with no problems at all.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039051

The second is a take apart Gambler DLG, see the picture, the plane, electric power pod spare batteries tools etc all fit in the box.

The GWS TX is low power, but the range is fine for the small size of a travel plane. If you need longer range then you are going to be carrying a much larger plane around with you, so I dont see the point of a small TX.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:49 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
I want a size like the PLANTRACO, but DSM 2 and better range. i plan to mod a small HBZ
CHAMP with removable wings and tail. My DX6i is to big for travel.

John
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:08 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen View Post
I want a size like the PLANTRACO, but DSM 2 and better range. i plan to mod a small HBZ
CHAMP with removable wings and tail. My DX6i is to big for travel.

John
The RTF Champ comes with the small DSM2 transmitter and has pretty good range (enough for a 22" span model). All you have to do is make it more compact.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:40 PM
Joined Sep 2005
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
I bought one of the GWS TXs specifically for a travel setup.

I dont use expo even when I am flying with my 35Mhz RD6000, so I do not miss that. Lack of vtail is not an issue either, just get a vtail mixer from eBay for $5, small and light.
I tend to be rather minimalist about things to save budget for payload, so I am trying to avoid putting an extra v-tail mixer in there if at all possible. The only dead weight I want on there is my keychain camera...

Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
There are two travel planes I have which I fly with the GWS TX, one is a Weasel Sloper, goes back in the box, it needs the Vtail mixer and flys with no problems at all.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039051

The second is a take apart Gambler DLG, see the picture, the plane, electric power pod spare batteries tools etc all fit in the box.
Cool. The plane I've actually got in mind is an Alula Evo. Still molling over the build details...

Someone should just make a bridge between a multitouch Android device (via it's USB debug interface) and one of those RC TX units... Guess we'll have to wait a few more generations before these archaic TX designs finally die off.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:02 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Small like the Plantraco TX is going to be hard. It does have a PPM stream coming out from the trainer connection, so you might be able to graft a 2.4Ghz module onto it and give it a go. You are going to need at least 4 volts for a Spektrum module.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:05 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
No, the range of the small TX is not good, around 300 feet. Sometimes I have get it back
from 600 feet or more, when it is blown away, in windy conditions. I can only see a spot,and control it by see which way it moves, by my control inputs. DX6i is fine, but not the small one. I live in a very windy place.

John
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:34 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Cool. The plane I've actually got in mind is an Alula Evo. Still molling over the build details...
The leads on the V tail mixers are over long, trimmed back and the overall weight would be around 3.5g. In the case of the Weasel it needed extra weight forward of the COG in any case. The matching RXs for this TX are very light too, around 3.5g.

I removed the TX antenna on mine and replaced it with a RP SMA socket so that I could use a standard removable Wi-Fi antenna.

The power consumption of the GWS TX is very low and you should get about 60 hours of use from a set of 4 x AAs, so n real need to carry a charger around.

The in air range of the GWS setup was around 600ft, plenty for flying small portable planes.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet