Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:36 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
915 Posts
Lee may have just found people got proper CG easier with the spar back a hair more.

No, you won't have any issues, as long as you still attain proper CG. (btw, there's been some recent discussion, and it seems like you should definitely go with CG measured by holding the wing up from the bottom, as per the pdf instructions.)

...and you can expect the pdf's to always be more up-to-date than the videos.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,408 Posts
Yeah- really the placement of the spar isn't a critical dimension.
I hadn't caught that Lee had changed the location.
I prefer putting mine on the CG (6.5in back) because then I am able to quickly locate the CG for quick checks in the field.

Get the CG right
Keep it light
Make sure your elevons are setup with recommended throws and no slop

You're in for a fun flying plane
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Hi Lee,

IŽll get it back from this terrible mother - - wing-eater
Any luck?
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:10 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Yes, I could not take it from the tree and gave up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Any luck?
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I could not take it from the tree and gave up
Any chance you could ask your local fire station to use the task for a training excercise with a high lift ladder ? .....

offer them 50.00 bucks for their Christmas party fund ? .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
I think I still have a chance. IŽll go back to the field this weekend, where my Assassin is and try to rescue it again. The hope never dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Any chance you could ask your local fire station to use the task for a training excercise with a high lift ladder ? .....

offer them 50.00 bucks for their Christmas party fund ? .....
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
I think I still have a chance. IŽll go back to the field this weekend, where my Assassin is and try to rescue it again. The hope never dies
How about getting a guy with a Bow and arrows ....... I mean a qualified Archer ..... someone who can hit the plane .... attach a light cord to an arrow ...... even if he had to put an arrow into the Fuse it would be worth the damage to get the plane back ......

ps. don't do it when anyone is around ..... get up early perhaps
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Last sunday there was a maraton, so it made the rescue difficult once I coud hit someone and injure with my sonŽs slingshot. I did hit the wing once, with the fishing sinker I was using and a fishing line, but the sinker came back to the floor. IŽll try again, IŽm sure I can hit it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
How about getting a guy with a Bow and arrows ....... I mean a qualified Archer ..... someone who can hit the plane .... attach a light cord to an arrow ...... even if he had to put an arrow into the Fuse it would be worth the damage to get the plane back ......

ps. don't do it when anyone is around ..... get up early perhaps
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Where did everyone go?

Hey folks. A lurker here. I have read the entire forum, and all of a sudden all posts quit. Where did you guys go.

I just ordered my first Assassin kit and all the fixins from Plane Insane. My son and I are looking forward to the build and learning to fly it (We are having a great time right now with a T28). Then we will get a second Assassin and start our own little combat group.

Vurtdog
Vurtdog is offline Find More Posts by Vurtdog
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:58 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
915 Posts
everyone was occupied with sWARm (except those of us across the continent just wishing we were there)

Good luck on the build. Truly an enjoyable wing. Oh, and I recommend lights. I do them on all all my planes now
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vurtdog View Post
Hey folks. A lurker here. I have read the entire forum, and all of a sudden all posts quit. Where did you guys go.

I just ordered my first Assassin kit and all the fixins from Plane Insane. My son and I are looking forward to the build and learning to fly it (We are having a great time right now with a T28). Then we will get a second Assassin and start our own little combat group.

Vurtdog
I think we are all quietly waiting for news from Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil re his Assassin that is stuck up a very high tree .....
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:02 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vurtdog View Post

Vurtdog
I'm here! My friend Jim and I did some Assassin combat on Saturday. The amazing thing is how hard it is to make contact. We have flown about 6 flights against each other in the last few weeks, and maybe just barely touched twice. Believe me I've really tried hard to nail him.
The Assassin is a great piece of engineering and takes the crash and burn fear factor out of the equation. My only complaint is the yaw wiggle coming out of hard turns, but you just get use to it and have fun.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
I looked at the sWARm videos. You guys in Utah know how to put on an event. Looked like a great time. Too bad Provo is so far away from Houston.
Vurtdog is offline Find More Posts by Vurtdog
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,408 Posts
Blu-
Pretend you are driving a Nascar oval up in the air.
Fly mostly at half throttle.
Attempt to fly formation in a tight pack going around the oval.
When you find yourself behind your friends plane goose the throttle to overtake him.
If you pass him, no big, slow down and let him attempt to pass you in the same way.
This is how we maximize hits, I witnessed a couple of good freinds hit each other three times within a few seconds using this method just this weekend
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Blu-
Pretend you are driving a Nascar oval up in the air.
Fly mostly at half throttle.
Attempt to fly formation in a tight pack going around the oval.
When you find yourself behind your friends plane goose the throttle to overtake him.
If you pass him, no big, slow down and let him attempt to pass you in the same way.
This is how we maximize hits, I witnessed a couple of good freinds hit each other three times within a few seconds using this method just this weekend
Sounds great, can't wait till the weekend he he
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer