Old Jul 17, 2014, 05:32 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icero View Post
Is there a post about floating the DC side on a dell 2950 power supply? Or for that matter, one for which pins to short?
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2014, 06:14 PM
buy, crash, save...
United States, MS
Joined Feb 2013
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
thank you. Now does anyone have a dc floating guide?

Here is one more general question about this floating stuff: Is it ok to DC float both units in a 24v setup and to float the dc if you are just using a single unit at 12v?

thanks
Icero is offline Find More Posts by Icero
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:05 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icero View Post
Here is one more general question about this floating stuff: Is it ok to DC float both units in a 24v setup and to float the dc if you are just using a single unit at 12v?

thanks
No.
DC ground is there for your safety as well as the supplies.
When we float DC ground on the high side we still use it, the low side (12V side) is still grounded. The cases are, at least mine are, bolted together or touching and the ground from 12V carries through to the 24V side.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:26 PM
buy, crash, save...
United States, MS
Joined Feb 2013
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
No.
DC ground is there for your safety as well as the supplies.
When we float DC ground on the high side we still use it, the low side (12V side) is still grounded. The cases are, at least mine are, bolted together or touching and the ground from 12V carries through to the 24V side.

Rick
thank you
Icero is offline Find More Posts by Icero
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
Hi,
I found the correct Pinout for the IBM X3550 Server PSUs. Currently I only have a third party one, it's the Artesyn 7001134. The user Stanley posted a pinout (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2135), but it is wrong.

I opened the PSU and checked the connections from the header to the Microcontroller. The pin that Stanley shrotened to ground (PIN9) is the +5V Connection of the Microcontroller so the PSU could be damaged (but wasn't so far for me). The correct pin to shorten to ground is PIN18 as it can be seen in the attached picture. This way the AC OK and DC OK lights are also working correctly.

Ralph
ralph33 is offline Find More Posts by ralph33
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
aa23920l

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardvaio1 View Post
ibm blade Asec model: AA23920L - 2.880w

Managed to mod the circuit to allow voltage adjustment from 10v - 15.7volts

I have it set at 14.40v nicely

I have two straped together to increase current, each is 236amps

kind regards
please post the info for more mod of the voltage
shadygrady is offline Find More Posts by shadygrady
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:30 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
HP DPS-1200FB Voltage Adjustment

I would like to get the voltage up to 13.8 vdc. Can that be done ??

Anyone have a schematic for this supply ?

Thanks,

rs
w1ksz is offline Find More Posts by w1ksz
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2013
451 Posts
HP DL580 Proliant 1300w

Hi all,

I have taken on this project to save some coin, however I need a little assistance. I have read through this forum a little but I am unsure if I am able to connect the power leads in the format I have chosen.

I have 1 set of leads powering a PL8 and the second set will be connected to a banana plug board on the outside of the case. Could somebody please tell me if my format is acceptable and correct? I also have a SPDT I will be connecting with a servo extension lead, I know the correct pins to attach it to on the proliant but I am unsure what color wire to connect to which pin on the switch.

Any help would be appreciated
k2roo is offline Find More Posts by k2roo
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:21 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
If you have connected the servo lead to the PS pins with the same colours as in my Post#2, then connect the red and black wire together to the centre pin on the switch. Connect the white wire to one of the end pins - doesn't matter which. Which end pin you choose will only affect which direction the switch is ON. I used a servo lead with an orange signal lead, yours is white. And brown on mine corresponds to black on yours.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2roo View Post
Hi all,

I have taken on this project to save some coin, however I need a little assistance. I have read through this forum a little but I am unsure if I am able to connect the power leads in the format I have chosen.

I have 1 set of leads powering a PL8 and the second set will be connected to a banana plug board on the outside of the case. Could somebody please tell me if my format is acceptable and correct? I also have a SPDT I will be connecting with a servo extension lead, I know the correct pins to attach it to on the proliant but I am unsure what color wire to connect to which pin on the switch.

Any help would be appreciated
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined May 2013
451 Posts
Oh really, so I only use 2 pins on the switch. Can you confirm that I have the wire to ec5 and second lead soldered to the correct positions on the dl580? I am concerned that I have to solder red leads to the left hand bank and black on the right hand bank, whereas I have connected the 2 sets of leads on the right hand bank only. Its confusing me
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:05 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
The positive and negative power blade connectors are all connected together inside the case.

You're fine.

The resaon I used both the left and right bank of connectors and then joined the two sets of wires with aY lead externally, was to spread the current across the internal PC board traces at very high loads. I supect in practice it was an unnecessary caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2roo View Post
Oh really, so I only use 2 pins on the switch. Can you confirm that I have the wire to ec5 and second lead soldered to the correct positions on the dl580? I am concerned that I have to solder red leads to the left hand bank and black on the right hand bank, whereas I have connected the 2 sets of leads on the right hand bank only. Its confusing me
Last edited by jj604; Jul 28, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:02 AM
Joined May 2013
451 Posts
Thanks for your help JJ! Cheers
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:22 AM
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
DL580 Connections

See if this comes through...
d1hartman is offline Find More Posts by d1hartman
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:20 PM
United States, NC, Winterville
Joined Jul 2014
17 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their ingenuity and determination on this thread. I am a ham radio operator, and I was able to use the plans at the very first post for making a 12v (now 13.6v) power supply for my ham radio amp, and it will pull double duty as an rc lipo charger when my new plane arrives this week.
Jmel is offline Find More Posts by Jmel