HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2004, 09:10 AM
Stuart
Singapore
Joined May 2004
23 Posts
Chain Lube - What do you use?

Just wondering what you all use to lube your r/c bike chain. WD40, engine oil, silicone lube, regular m/bike chain lube...???
flghb is offline Find More Posts by flghb
Last edited by flghb; May 12, 2004 at 10:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2004, 09:56 AM
I'm not totally useless..
Drunen. NL
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
I use Castrol chain oil, the same as for my 1:1 bike. Don't forget to mount a little "splash guard" for your motor and/or brushes
radical ron is offline Find More Posts by radical ron
Old May 12, 2004, 10:17 AM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
wd-40. I tried my regular motorcycle chain lube and some of the "White Lightnin" lube that I use on my bicycles, but wasn't happy with either of them. I run my 1/5 chains very loose, and haven't seen any appreciable wear or stiffness/kinks with the wd-40. Just keep it clean and lubed regularly.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old May 12, 2004, 10:27 AM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,321 Posts
I use no lube at all - however I do at times let the chain soak in a bowl of WD40 for a couple hours during cleaning days. I tried that White Lightning stuff years ago as well but it still attracted dirt (it is advertised not to).

Do you have a specific reason why you want to use lube? These chains are pretty resilient on there own. If your chain is noisy, make absolutely sure that it is lined up correctly between the sprockets and that there is a little slack.

Ian
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Last edited by grymg; May 12, 2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:59 AM
Stuart
Singapore
Joined May 2004
23 Posts
I ride a 1:1 bike (VTR1000) & know the importance of keeping a chain clean and lubed, and tensioned properly for that matter. I thought bike wieght oil may be a little too heavy. The only non-stick oil I have found is chain-wax, it is tack-free. Nothing sticks to it and is o-ring safe. Not suitable for off-road use as you want very loose lube to flick off with the dirt.

For my TT I think I will wd40 as Steve is... the tight spot in the chain has me, don't know what is causing it so I also run my chain pretty loose, not so loose it hits the swingarm, but close to it.

Anyway, thanks all for the info. I am off to have a run in the car-park. I think I want a faster motor...
Old May 12, 2004, 02:23 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flghb
I ride a 1:1 bike (VTR1000) & know the importance of keeping a chain clean and lubed, and tensioned properly for that matter.
Anyway, thanks all for the info. I am off to have a run in the car-park. I think I want a faster motor...
I don't know if it's all that important to keep these little chains lubed, certainly nowhere near as important as on our full scale rides. I think I do it regularly more out of habit as much as anything. Maybe the chains run quieter, and I feel better about it. I like the wd-4o because it's quick, easy to spray on, and the least mess of the other lubes I've tried. It doesn't attract dirt, for sure, but it also doesn't hang around in/on the chain for very long either.

For motors: Get yourself a Hacker C40 brushless motor. That will keep you happy, and cut down on tread wear on the front tire too!

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old May 13, 2004, 01:27 PM
Stuart
Singapore
Joined May 2004
23 Posts
Hey steve... hacker sounds like a handful... thot you guys had a hard time keeping the front end down with those... novak or hacker are the main ones I hear of on this post. Any others to consider? I also need a brushless speedie rite? Sorry I know bugger-all about this (yes that is austrine mate). My last time in R/C elec was with a Tamiya F150 and SandScorcher. Times have changed.

Agree abt the chain, I also feel better if it runs quieter. Am trying Singer all purpose oil. May last a little longer than wd.

This little bike is a blast. I really want to get my hands on the GRP tyres. I take it the 45 is softer than the 50 (seems crazy only offers the 45). Will drop them a note and see if they ship int'l. Was hoping to get off the NF dist in SG, but they don't stock parts.
Old May 13, 2004, 04:48 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2003
98 Posts
hey flghb,
those prices on the cnr site are including shipping
worldwide!!!!!!!!!!

have fun with the bike..
bsixmiguel is offline Find More Posts by bsixmiguel