HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:51 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
Discussion
40" AerodromeRc Pup - Re-Vize

After having so much success with the Dr1 I wanted to turn my attention to a fixer upper. About 2 months ago I was heavy in combat with Brad and his Parkzone Alby. We were dueling it out. As we passed the field at low altitude I decide to bring him up to the clouds and execute a loop to get on his six. The Pup was handling superbly; I started my climb. Then the element of surprise was my favor. I pull back hard on the stick and my trusty Pup answered the call. As it came around I realized too late that I took the loop too tight and the Great Warbirds clashed in Prop to Wing combat. My top wing was severed from its struts and I was able to level it out, but due to my concern of my partner I took my eyes off my plane and it plummeted to the earth.

Needless to say the plane was 80% in tact. The rear fuselage severed from the front and the rest was for reparable. I was so busy building the Dr1 I could not take time away to fix the Pup.

I decided to remove the covering, fix the broken parts and recover using Polyspan. Since I do not like the lovely smell of the Nitrates I scoured RcGroups for other modelers "solutions." I have settled upon Bengston's use of Titebond as the adherent and WBPU as the sealer. I searched high and nigh for the Titebond Molding Glue, and I everyone says Mod Podge will work. I am going to try Titebond II and thin it a little and see if I have some success.

But first the repairs and getting the surfaces ready.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:06 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Sean,

I have never used Titebond but I can vouch for Modge Podge. It works really well. I will be using it on my Pup when I get to that point.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:17 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
Hi Jim. I actually stopped by Michaels today and bought some matte Modge Podge just in case.

Sean.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 02:20 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
I am making repairs here and there. And I seem to have misplaced the top left aileron so I am going to have to fashion a new one. I borrowed an idea from Jima and reconfigured the cabane struts. I bent 3/32 music wire to the configuration of each cabane strut. Then I drilled 1/8 holes where the old cabanes met the fuselage. I cut a piece of brass tubing 1/8 and will epoxy those in the four holes. I will then epoxy the cabanes into the tubes and then build balsa fairings around them.

Sean
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:43 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
It has been a long time since I was able to get back to the Pup. I was so engrossed in keeping the Dr1 flying this little guy was being neglected.

I installed basswood beams across the area where the cabane struts would connect. I drilled four holes and inserted 3/32 brass tubing. I then sheeted the decking and cowl area with 1/16 balsa. I then applied two coats of WBPU to stiffen it up a little. I also bent the remaining cabane struts and will epoxy them in.

Sean
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2010
484 Posts
Your Pup is coming along.

I got the special edition Pup and still enjoy flying it. It is so surprisingly light for its size.

I am getting ready to use Polyspan for the first time on another project and am curious how your bonding scheme works. I found Modge Podge at Michaels. Whoa! I didn't realize how many varieties there are. Seems a lot cheaper than something like Balsaloc and so on.
SubManEric is offline Find More Posts by SubManEric
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:15 AM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Aug 2009
166 Posts
I used modge podge and polyspan sealed with WBPU on my Sopwith Triplane. Worked great. Still my favorite of Kay's designs
cobra16 is offline Find More Posts by cobra16
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Seems a lot cheaper than something like Balsaloc and so on.
wnmenyans is offline Find More Posts by wnmenyans
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:58 AM
Joined Mar 2010
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra16 View Post
I used modge podge and polyspan sealed with WBPU on my Sopwith Triplane. Worked great. Still my favorite of Kay's designs
I would be very interested to know what kind of paint you used over polyspan sealed with WBPU. And did you thin the WBPU at all before applying it?

My favorite, so far, is the Pfalz DIIIa. It flies so well and smoothly that it makes me look like a much better pilot than I really am! And it looks so cool in the air.

Eric
SubManEric is offline Find More Posts by SubManEric
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:57 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Looking good Sean.

I just started covering my Pup with Polyspan. To prepare the parts, I coated all the covered areas with a slurry of Lacquer, Lacquer thinner, and baby powder. When this dries, I sanded each piece with 220 grit. This gives a really smooth surface to cover. Then brushed Matte Modge Podge on the piece. It is brushed on at full strength. When dry just iron the Polyspan on just like any other material. Make sure the smooth side is out. After the piece is covered, I will seal it with 4-5 coats of thinned Lacquer. The Lacquer will need a week to fully cure. Then will paint with latex house paint.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Sep 28, 2014, 09:32 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Aug 2009
166 Posts
I used the WBPU straight from the can applied with a foam brush. I want to say it was two coats on the fuselage and three on the wing. I let it dry 24 hours between coats. I used craft paint from Hobby Lobby. I thinned it 50/50 with water and a few drops of flowtex ( I think that's what its called) and sprayed with an air brush. I was very happy with the results and I have had no chipping or fading problems. I have used house paint as JIMA suggests with excellent results as well. I used Callie Graphics decals and they have adhered well. Hope that helps some
Taylor
cobra16 is offline Find More Posts by cobra16
Last edited by cobra16; Sep 28, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 05:32 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
Hey All.

Thanks for stopping in and really thanks for the insight. I was definitely a little fuzzy about how to use the Modge Podge and Polyspan. Eric, you are right I too went to Michael's and was like, "which Modge Podge do I buy. " Jim and Taylor I like both your techniques - I also bought the WBPU so I am going to try that. As for preparing the frame I like your idea Jim. Just don't know how much time I have to invest - requiring skipping steps. We'll see.

Eric - this is a great plane. I loved flying it. But for the faux paux on my part it should fly again. What is your other project that you are covering in Polyspan? Do you have a build going?

Sean.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 12:05 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,173 Posts
I had to see the Polyspan in action. So tonight (after being in NYC everyday this week) I applied the Modge Podge (not diluted) to the surface of the wings. I then cut out a piece of Polyspan (a little bulky) and proceeded to use my covering iron at 125 degrees and, BAM, it attached unbelievably. I went around the surfaces and the heat of the iron activated the Modge Podge and it sealed perfectly; I could not have asked for anything more.

I then took my heat gun and went around the rib bays and the Polyspan slowly tightened up. But two times I got a little too close and the gun burnt a hole into the Span. Well I applied some Modge Podge to the area - waited a few minutes and ironed on a patch. BAM. It worked again.

Thereafter I applied a coat of the WBPU by applying it with a sponge brush running the brush in the direction of the weave (it won't be hard to figure out - if you do it the wrong way the WBPU bunches up) and I letting it dry over night to see the results.

So far I am very happy.

Sean
Old Oct 02, 2014, 03:12 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,849 Posts
Looking good Sean
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Oct 02, 2014, 12:11 PM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008