SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2013, 08:53 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,030 Posts
Discussion
Top Model Albatros

Is anyone flying Top Model CZ's Albatros Classic?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2013, 02:59 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
top model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
I was flying my albatros this am, for 2nd time - flying close to field and higher up to do some trimming- had it coming towards me slight down angle in a glide and whammm outter left part of wing flew off - you know the rest --now I have a pile of $$$ sail plane :-(
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that, Tom. Some planes are just cursed. Waaaay back I had an Aquila that went horribly wrong on me. After several rebuilds and constantly replacing bits that broke during every flight I finally got it dialed in and launched it with the radio turned off. It flew itself off the Hi-start and entered the gentlest of left turns. The last time I saw it it was heading for the Atlantic, from Minnesota, at about 5,000 feet!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:40 AM
electromaniac
pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
I just bought the 2.75 version there doesn't seem to be much info on them just a few small threads but top models seams to make a good product for the price so that kinda made the decision for me that and I have the gear to put in it laying around .
elcamino is offline Find More Posts by elcamino
Old Jun 03, 2013, 08:29 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
Replacement Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I'm really sorry to hear that, Tom. Some planes are just cursed. Waaaay back I had an Aquila that went horribly wrong on me. After several rebuilds and constantly replacing bits that broke during every flight I finally got it dialed in and launched it with the radio turned off. It flew itself off the Hi-start and entered the gentlest of left turns. The last time I saw it it was heading for the Atlantic, from Minnesota, at about 5,000 feet!
Peter, after Loosing my Albatros - I found that I could get replacement wings from Top Model - They said they would send me one [left wing] but I thought Might as well get both of them . They were very nice to accomodate me with parts .

Wings came in good time and packed well . The guy at Aloft Hobbies offered to get me wing[s] if I could not get them myself

Later , I was messing with the plane in the house as I did not trust that AR7010 7 Ch Rx [ spektrum ]- I was checking thro's on wing before I perm fixed servos in wing and out of the corner my eye , saw a blink ? I just left everything as it was and carefully watched Rx light - about every 2 to 3 mins it would blink 3 times in quick order and repeat that cycle , so I moved Tx 10 to 15' away and watched ,same cycle repeated itself. I put in another NIB AR7010 and did not observe that continual blinking. Called HH yep send it back for them to check out which I did .
Never had any problems with Spektrum Rx's in the past
.............te
Old Jun 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
I fly the Albatros 2,4 with good results. It took me sometime to feel comfortable moving the cg that back, but it made the difference.

It comes out a bit heavy, but it thermals excellent.
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:52 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
Cg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIDAY_2008 View Post
I fly the Albatros 2,4 with good results. It took me sometime to feel comfortable moving the cg that back, but it made the difference.

It comes out a bit heavy, but it thermals excellent.
Where do you have yur CG now ?? the 2nd and last time it was in the air [ only for short time] I had it back to around 115 mm from LE and seemed a bit tail heavy
Now that I have new wings on and all servos set , ready to take it out to the field was deliberating on where to have CG?

thanks ...te
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:07 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
I set it to 95mm and I am pretty happy as it is. 111, would be the furthest back I would get.

You have it more neutral than me, but I guess, it will bump, on the smallest turbulance.

Try 111mm.

How much for the new wings ? I am thinking on going for the 3m wing, but I can't justify the money
Old Jun 07, 2013, 08:51 PM
electromaniac
pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
Its a good thing Iv built a few planes in my life because the hieroglyphics they give you to use are damn hard to understand . So I just started playing with the parts till I figured our where they went and started building it just gotta put the servos in the wing and it should be ready to maiden
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:29 AM
electromaniac
pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
Ok got it finished Ill throw some pictures in latter but anyone building one of theses there is a couple of things to look at b4 you start . The servos esprit calls for using hs82 for the tail and hs65 for the wing but top models calls for hs 485 for the tail and hs82 for the wing . I went with hs225 for the tail and hs 82 in the wing I dont trust hs 65 in the wing I have used them in several 47" span 3d type of planes and the were marginal for them if flown hard. I just wouldn't trust them in a bird like this a $100.00 arf 3d plane is one thing but a$1000,00 glider well ... not me . other than that it was not to bad of a build the only thing I would like to do different would be move the tail servos forward more to help with the cg I may have to add a little weight to get cg but ill tape to the front and remove what i can and go from there hopefully I can get away with out any added weight to the nose. ps tack the servo wirer tubes in place b4 you start pushing the wirer Thur them !!.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:41 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
Servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino View Post
Ok got it finished Ill throw some pictures in latter but anyone building one of theses there is a couple of things to look at b4 you start . The servos esprit calls for using hs82 for the tail and hs65 for the wing but top models calls for hs 485 for the tail and hs82 for the wing . I went with hs225 for the tail and hs 82 in the wing I dont trust hs 65 in the wing I have used them in several 47" span 3d type of planes and the were marginal for them if flown hard. I just wouldn't trust them in a bird like this a $100.00 arf 3d plane is one thing but a$1000,00 glider well ... not me . other than that it was not to bad of a build the only thing I would like to do different would be move the tail servos forward more to help with the cg I may have to add a little weight to get cg but ill tape to the front and remove what i can and go from there hopefully I can get away with out any added weight to the nose. ps tack the servo wirer tubes in place b4 you start pushing the wirer Thur them !!.
I wondered about this also - same with prop , so called Esprit and they had changed reccomended prop to 12 x 8 - to get a better climb .So, did you go with the 12 x 8 prop ??

I am still mulling over which servos to go with ? Yep tack servo wire tubes before ya start as I noticed same when I started pulling wires thru

..te
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:46 PM
electromaniac
pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
I used the recommended power set up and am pulling 375 watts at 34 amps with a no name 35 c 3000 3s pack its all I have right now I'm going to order some new batts for it to try and get it up to 400 watts and 40 amps but it should fly fine with whats in it now . I had all the servos both hs65 and hs82 and 225 left over from other planes if you look at the wood servo tray they give you for the tail servos it was meant for full size servos even the 225 fell thru. Don't skimp on the servos all it takes is for one to strip out or to start fluttering and youv got problems.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:18 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Don't worry much about the powertrain. What you have, will easily get you at 600ft in 30secs, so go fly and get the feeling of the sailplane.

Mine constantly changes
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:47 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino View Post
I used the recommended power set up and am pulling 375 watts at 34 amps with a no name 35 c 3000 3s pack its all I have right now I'm going to order some new batts for it to try and get it up to 400 watts and 40 amps but it should fly fine with whats in it now . I had all the servos both hs65 and hs82 and 225 left over from other planes if you look at the wood servo tray they give you for the tail servos it was meant for full size servos even the 225 fell thru. Don't skimp on the servos all it takes is for one to strip out or to start fluttering and youv got problems.
I got the TP 2700 3 cells that Esprit suggested - seems to work ok
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
electromaniac
pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2004
604 Posts
Well I thought I did a good job of pre fitting this thing together and checking it b4 I glued it all up but I guess I missed this the elevator is crooked the wholes in the fuselage must be off a little or the fuselage in twisted heck even if I had caught it I dont know what I would have been Abel to do to fix it. I leveled the fuselage at the canopy area and the wing was also level so that means something is outta whack tward the tail