HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:56 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
So I got my 2s setup functional (Still waiting on a 1s ESC to try), and WOW its a freakin power house

At 1/2 throttle its probably producing 2x the thrust of the stock brushed motor.

At 3/4 throttle I'm crappin my self holding on to the gearbox with my fingers, it sounds amazing at that speed.

At full throttle it strips the thread on the prop, so far I have only had it a full throttle for maybe 2 seconds.

BUT

It gets extremely HOT even at 3/4 throttle, even after 10 seconds its almost too hot to touch. For the tests I was using the 3 blade eflite prop, which I think has the least thrust out of all the props, and a Nano-tech 300mah 35-70c 2s.

However my gearbox isn't very smooth, I think heating the pinion up red hot and sliding it off the brushed motor with a butter knife may have warped it a bit. I tried filing the teeth ever so slightly which helped but the prop still doesnt spin as freely as I'd like.

The 2s verdict, even if my gearbox was running smooth I think the motor would blow up after a minute at full throttle, or melt through the gearbox Someone else should do a quick 2s test though in case I'm wrong
Well, if you bump up the voltage you need to downsize the prop. You can't run a 5" prop at 2S

You need to be careful heating the motor because heat will damage the permanent magnets and then give you less power.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:48 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Hot isn't good. I guess either lower kV or lower voltage.

Separate question, any chance of press fit prop directly onto motor shaft to eliminate more wear and tear parts? Without the 4:1gear reduction, even on 1s, its probably too much amps pull for motor to handle.
if you want to go direct drive, you will need a small prop similar to the one the heli comes with. this motor was designed to run direct drive on a 2 cell battery, so it should be fine with just the right prop. same would go with the gear drive, just the right prop will get you in the same current draw as the tail blade and the motor should last just as long as it would in the heli.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
But a small diameter, high RPM prop is inefficient, and it's also a poor match to the UM airframes. Unless you're pylon racing a streamlined UM bullet with symmetrical wings, you'd want a slower-turning prop that's around 5" diameter. Hence, why the UMX planes use outrunners for dd.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:09 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Pylon racing a streamlined UM bullet with symmetrical wings?

Yes please!!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:19 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Pylon racing a streamlined UM bullet with symmetrical wings?

Yes please!!

rc
Like this

AS3X
monster control surfaces
2s BL
mCPX tail rotor prop

Definitely not the setup Im going with though. Although I might test the thrust of it
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:23 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Anyhoo, here endeth all speculation.

The inrunner will spin a UM prop in a UM gearbox on 1S at ~5200rpm's.
The stock motor spins a UM prop in a UM gearbox on 1S at ~6900 rpm's.

The inrunner draws much less current on 1S (less load thanks to lower kV)

Having said that - Sweet mercy! she had some thrust on 2S! I didn't dare go full throttle.

We may have to work on different ratio gearboxes. I think I still have some old different ratio gearbox combo's from back in the day - I can't remember the name of them though - they came with folding props.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:31 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Anyhoo, here endeth all speculation.

The inrunner draws much less current on 1S (less load thanks to lower kV)

Having said that - Sweet mercy! she had some thrust on 2S! I didn't dare go full throttle.

We may have to work on different ratio gearboxes. I think I still have some old different ratio gearbox combo's from back in the day - I can't remember the name of them though - they came with folding props.

That's no good!

2s it is then, just got to find a good prop

Quote:
Tell me about, I just about shat myself at full throttle Its a pitty it cant handle the UM props though
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:35 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post

That's no good!

2s it is then, just got to find a good prop

Tell me about, I just about shat myself at full throttle Its a pitty it cant handle the UM props though
What about clipping 1/2" off each blade?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:59 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Seems a bit brutal, I'll try it tomorrow

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought the AP05 5000kv and a XP-7A 1s ESC for my profile 3D mustang, seems like the best 1s option now @ 70-90g of thrust
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:13 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
That won't result in any more thrust at 1S, which was the whole point of this experiment. We have 2S motors out the Wazoo.

The motor isn't loaded at all on 1S, hence the ZERO temp rise. Putting less load on it won't make it spin much faster, because the RPM that its turning now is very low load, anyway.

It looks like we need a 9K or 10K motor.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
That won't result in any more thrust at 1S, which was the whole point of this experiment. We have 2S motors out the Wazoo.

The motor isn't loaded at all on 1S, hence the ZERO temp rise. Putting less load on it won't make it spin much faster, because the RPM that its turning now is very low load, anyway.

It looks like we need a 9K or 10K motor.
Yeah, i see your point. Higher kv motor, or a slightly taller gearbox.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:59 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,991 Posts
Quote:

So I should cancel the two motors I have on backorder?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:02 PM
Total Newbie
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined May 2011
70 Posts
I know this seems silly, and more than likely a moot point for our current crop of UM BNF or RTF birds that we were hoping this would be a direct drop in for, but what about propping up the gearbox for more thrust? Would that work, or am I missing some other key component of the equation? Just a thought...
Tarak is offline Find More Posts by Tarak
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
So I should cancel the two motors I have on backorder?

Gene K
I would if I were you, unless you want to experiment with 2s, or larger props.

The AP05 5000kv seems like the best 1s BL motor around at the moment, only problem is that its not a direct drop in but fitting a motor mount would be well worth the 70-90g's of thrust it offers.

I'm sorry to get everybody's hopes up with this thread, believe me Im just as disappointed. It sounded sooooo good in theory though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarak View Post
I know this seems silly, and more than likely a moot point for our current crop of UM BNF or RTF birds that we were hoping this would be a direct drop in for, but what about propping up the gearbox for more thrust? Would that work, or am I missing some other key component of the equation? Just a thought...
Makes sense!

I have some 5030 & 6030 GWS 3 blade props I can test with it on 1s (once I get my 1s ESC), since the rpm's are lower than stock wouldn't it be more torquey?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Like I said - a little tinkering with different gear ratio's is next!

I think I have a 2.67:1 and a 3:1 here.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged