HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:39 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,241 Posts
Each to their own. I cringed when the EDF went under the water and they threw water balloons at it. I fly float planes and water proof my electronics, but there is a difference between protecting the equipment from possible water ingress, and outright abuse. Each to their own though. The most important thing is they had fun (and I enjoyed watching it).
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:15 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
If you water proof the esc, rx, and servo you are good to go. The lipo and motor are fine. We do it in our rock crawlers all the time. Its pretty easy too.
That is right. The EDF is water proof, like most motors. The blades and duct are plastic, the motor casing aluminium and the copper windings in the motor are all lacqured. The bearings are sealed type. So water proof.
And it is simple enough to water proof an ESC. The rest of the electronics need to be protected. Batteries are water proff, but if the bind plug or other plugs get drowned they will short the battery out, so best to protect those as well.
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:34 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Consider me corrected. I love seeing these guys do this stuff. Motors might be ok with some water but I would still lubricate the bearings after any water intrusion. Honestly to each his own but I would never put my crawlers in the water because I just don't have the time for the after maintenance. The water will get in the gearbox and all bearings. You basically have to tear down half the car if you want to protect all the components. I don't know about sealed bearings, never had any. Are they truly sealed and no maintenance? I remember one time a buddy of mine wanted me to put my jet ski in at a location that many were using. There was no ramp, just sand at the salt water intercoastal location. It was not steep and people had to dunk the cars in the water to launch the boats. Now I didn't mind the ski and trailer in the salt but there was no way I was letting my truck touch salt water, let alone dunk the hubs, getting it in the bearings. My friend thought I was being too cautious. Maybe, he never had anything long lasting. That was back in 1998. That truck is still running and still in good shape with it's second owner.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:15 AM
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
251 Posts
Yes, there's a gentleman from Germany who sprays Corrosion-X directly into outrunner motors in his airboats to keep out corrosion. Makes sense as I use X into my escs and rxs and servos and garden tools galore.
Dennis Manning is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:13 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Generally most motor bearings are sealed bearings, so lube them all you want, but non gets in and neither does water. That said, bearing cases are usually hardened steel and therefor can rust into the motor bell or base. Being the motor bell or base is aluminium, this is not a huge issue really. Screws also can rust, but basically the rest of the motor is water proof. A light spray now and then helps stave off any corrosion. But I still don't recommend dumping water over everything. Water is going to get into any motor mounted on a swamp dawg boat. Little you can do about it.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:41 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,487 Posts
Great thread. Subbed
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 24, 2014, 04:38 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
390 Posts
I agree. I don't have a swamp dawg and maybe will never have it (no closeby lake or pond to play) nevertheless it is interesting to see what people do with this very simple and cheap boat model.
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:49 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,487 Posts
Hey Guys, Am I in the right thread to talk about any swamp boat in this size? Or is this thread strictly for the Swamp Dawg?

Thanks Guys,
Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 24, 2014, 04:56 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,596 Posts
Here is a small clip from saturday of my friend and I with our HK Swampdawg
Mine is the Marine
We have them mod to 3s1p 2200 and 30amp ESC
Airboat 1 (3 min 4 sec)
Paul-RC is online now Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Jun 24, 2014, 07:28 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Hey Guys, Am I in the right thread to talk about any swamp boat in this size? Or is this thread strictly for the Swamp Dawg?

Thanks Guys,
Mike.
This thread is primarily about the Hobby King Swamp Dawg, but if you have something of interest to others here, post away, but we don't want to stray too far from the model of the topic.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:59 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Here is a small clip from saturday of my friend and I with our HK Swampdawg
Mine is the Marine
We have them mod to 3s1p 2200 and 30amp ESC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLtGazGZ52Q
NIce video! Love how you mounted the Mobius too. HOw does it hold up to water exposure but?
I too run 3s in my Swamp Dawg. Got 30amp ESC and a Turnigy 28/26 6 2200kV motor. 342 watts of serious power! Had to modify the motor mount as this motor forces it forward so much the prop hits the cage!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 08:32 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupbones View Post
NIce video! Love how you mounted the Mobius too. HOw does it hold up to water exposure but?
I too run 3s in my Swamp Dawg. Got 30amp ESC and a Turnigy 28/26 6 2200kV motor. 342 watts of serious power! Had to modify the motor mount as this motor forces it forward so much the prop hits the cage!
It doesn't get too wet and I cover the back end with a latex glove finger.
I get 200 watt of power and I love it
Old Jun 25, 2014, 08:38 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
It doesn't get too wet and I cover the back end with a latex glove finger.
I get 200 watt of power and I love it
Upgrade to this motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=D2826

And you'll have 342 watts of power to love!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 08:41 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupbones View Post
Upgrade to this motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=D2826

And you'll have 342 watts of power to love!
Maybe I will get it too
Old Jun 25, 2014, 09:38 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I will get it too
Trust me, it's worth it. I also have these motors on a 250 quad copter I built. Insane power on light models!