HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:26 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I have a DX6i which I use as a master, and a DX5e as a slave to teach beginners how to fly. They are both reasonably not bad radios for the price. I have not heard of a DX5i but it sounds like a perfect compromise between the two, and you have mentioned it in a couple of your posts. Can you please give me more information about this radio? I really want to get my hands on one.
Sorry, a typo around Spektrum's radio names. DX5e is what I was talking about. I will fix it in my post above. Came with my Radian RTF and that is what I use it for.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:31 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Aejar,
I take no offense, but I disagree and in my reply to Gerry I have explained why.
Sadly he copied one sentence out of a complete post and pasted it in his response.

My response and opinion are based on what the RP feels like when it flies with power, and my experience by teaching people to fly (power planes) for the past year.

When I look at Peteringh's post I see that I'm not alone with this school of thought and that the RP is not the only glider that preferrs less than full throttle.

No need to repeat my last post here. I think I explained why I think like I do.

As Peter has said, the best way is what works for one. (while keeping it safe for everyone else). the fact that some people preferr to have the throttle in a switch versus the more conventional way does not make it wrong. my posts simply stated that it does not make sense to me and I explained why. I've also explained why I believe that this advise needs to be dished out with a measure of caution to the inexperienced pilot.

The main thing here is that we actually need to learn that we can disagree, and we can try and prove why we think we are right.but that does not necessarily mean that a person who does not think like we do is wrong.

Most importantly, if we keep our posts respectful we can make this a better forum.
Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Last edited by Danny_l; Oct 01, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
.. It's easy to control if throttle and elevator are both moved slowly forward together...
A lot of radios allow you to program in automagic elevator compensation for throttle (what some call "electronic down thrust")...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:48 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi Aejar,
I take no offense, but I disagree and in my reply to Gerry I have explained why.
Sadly he copied one sentence out of a complete post and pasted it in his response.

snip...

The main thing here is that we actually need to learn that we can disagree, and we can try and prove why we think we are right.but that does not necessarily mean that a person who does not think like we do is wrong.

Most importantly, if we keep our posts respectful we can make this a better forum.
Brgds,
Danny
I agree with you completely. Whatever works best for you is what you should do. And we can all learn a lot from seeing other peoples approachs to things.

Clear skies and safe flying.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
That's true, Woodstock, but it doesn't really help with a scale glider with small stabs and elevators. Slamming the throttle forward, even with instantaneous elevator, at low speed simply goes beyond the stability limits of the airframe. Oddly enough, down thrust actually made it worse. I'm also not a big fan of mixing control functions.

But? I better quit before someone complains about straying from the topic.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Danny_I
I agree with your idea that proportional throttle is a good thing to have on a sailplane. There has been some opposition to this idea and I would just like to register my support for you. First, I would like to make it clear that I fly my Radian and Radian Pro as sailplanes, and the fun starts when the motor stops. That means that the motor is only there for the purpose of getting the plane up to gliding altitude.

My attitude about getting up to altitude has changed. I originally was caught up with the prevailing idea that the plane needs to go straight up, as quickly as possible. What is wrong with having it go up gently and gradually, without stressing out the prop/adapter/esc/battery/motor/pilot/photographer or whatever. We are here to enjoy our day and the sun and the silence and the plane gliding like a bird. If less than full throttle will help you enjoy your day, I'm all for it. If full-throttle is what works for you, maybe a Mustang would be more fun.

If there is no rush to get the plane down, there should be no rush to get it up there.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:00 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Danny_I
I agree with your idea that proportional throttle is a good thing to have on a sailplane. There has been some opposition to this idea and I would just like to register my support for you. First, I would like to make it clear that I fly my Radian and Radian Pro as sailplanes, and the fun starts when the motor stops. That means that the motor is only there for the purpose of getting the plane up to gliding altitude.

My attitude about getting up to altitude has changed. I originally was caught up with the prevailing idea that the plane needs to go straight up, as quickly as possible. What is wrong with having it go up gently and gradually, without stressing out the prop/adapter/esc/battery/motor/pilot/photographer or whatever. We are here to enjoy our day and the sun and the silence and the plane gliding like a bird. If less than full throttle will help you enjoy your day, I'm all for it. If full-throttle is what works for you, maybe a Mustang would be more fun.

If there is no rush to get the plane down, there should be no rush to get it up there.
Some confusion here. Let me set you straight.

The RP power system is designed to go up at full throttle. By using partial throttle you are stressing the ESC, which runs cooler at full throttle. You'll get more climbs out of the battery if you go full bore too because the ESC isn't having to dissipate energy.

No arguing about the ESC running cooler at full throttle, please, as this is established fact.

Unsubscribed.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:13 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Some confusion here. Let me set you straight.

The RP power system is designed to go up at full throttle. By using partial throttle you are stressing the ESC, which runs cooler at full throttle. You'll get more climbs out of the battery if you go full bore too because the ESC isn't having to dissipate energy.

No arguing about the ESC running cooler at full throttle, please, as this is established fact.

Unsubscribed.
Please read up on the difference between switching and linear BEC's and then edit your post.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Guys been awhile, nice to see the thread still going strong.

Haven't posted in awhile but i had a mishap with the plastic that the wing bolts into..so i did the 2 strip Velcro mod...simply awesome... wings are actually in there tighter...no slop...thanks who came up with that.
wish i did it along time ago..that with the 6pin connection for AIL/FLAP and LEDS i have wings on in about 1min

Check this out from the other day. It took awhile to over come the fear of flying over the ocean. But once in the air for a few mins, i didnt even think about it..well maybe once...
Knowing that if she went in i was going to get wet...and not having the waterproof back on the GP case. Plus this ant the warmest of waters...even after a Hot summer.

Sorry for the length of the video, but i did cut it down from 25min
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRkZ8qWFp9E
Cool flight Easter!! Seemed like you could've stayed up there forever with that offshore breeze!! I'll have to look up the velcro mod, I think I remember it?? Did you use a 1300mAh batt for that flight?
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:19 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Please read up on the difference between switching and linear BEC's and then edit your post.
The BEC has nothing to do with it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1700570
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:20 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Danny_I

Good point. Lots of folks like to keep the plane low, and make slow easy circles around the field, barely skimming the surface and such. The promo video for the RP includes some of that type of flying. Definitely part of the intended market for this plane. Surely the esc can handle what is in the RP promo video???

It's all good fun, and a matter of personal preference.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:26 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Good point. Lots of folks like to keep the plane low, and make slow easy circles around the field, barely skimming the surface and such. The promo video for the RP includes some of that type of flying. Definitely part of the intended market for this plane. Surely the esc can handle what is in the RP promo video???

It's all good fun, and a matter of personal preference.
Intended market:

Quote:
The ParkZone Radian Pro is a follow-on to the Radian. Designed with the experienced sailplane pilot in mind,
That's from the manual. I saw a RP pop its ESC once during sustained low throttle flight. It's best to use bursts of full throttle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Please read up on the difference between an ESC and a BEC, then edit YOUR post.

The type of BEC has nothing to do with how you control the throttle. At full power the ESC runs cooler because it does not have to switch current on and off. But I don't think the cooler running ESC is a major consideration in this discussion.

BTW, and this has been said many many times, just because you move throttle off the stick does not mean you don't have variable throttle. All depends on where you move it to. I have a three way switch so I can have off, low and high settings on that. I also have 5 variable controls on my radio that are not sticks.

Sticks are not the only variable controls on many radios. If your radio limits your choices then you have to live within those limits and prioritize your choices accordingly.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:30 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
BEC has nothing to do with the use of the throttle to control the motor. At full power the ESC runs cooler because it does not have to switch current on and off. But I don't think the cooler ESC is a serious consideration in this discussion.

BTW, and this has been said many many times, just because you move throttle off the stick does not mean you don't have variable throttle. All depends on where you move it to. I have a three way switch so I can have off, low and high settings on that. I also have 5 variable controls on my radio that are not sticks.

Sticks are not the only variable controls on many radios.
If your radio limits your choices then you have to live within those limits and prioritize your choices accordingly.
Exactly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:37 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Please read up on the difference between an ESC and a BEC, then edit YOUR post.

The type of BEC has nothing to do with how you control the throttle. At full power the ESC runs cooler because it does not have to switch current on and off. But I don't think the cooler running ESC is a major consideration in this discussion.

Sticks are not the only variable controls on many radios. If your radio limits your choices then you have to live within those limits and prioritize your choices accordingly.
Sliders would be proportional. Unfortunately my DX7 does not have one or I would certainly use that for throttle.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks