SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
10 Posts
Question
Fiberglass material

I have my hull almost finished and want to get it fiberglassed. Was curious what some of you modelers have used to fiberglass a wood hull. I have looked around and have found a lot of products for repairs and auto body fixes but because I am a cautious person I dont know what I should really use. Thanks for any information
givemeprops09 is offline Find More Posts by givemeprops09
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:37 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,570 Posts
2 or 3 oz woven cloth (not mat!) is fine for waterproofing and securing wood planked hulls. One or two layers, depending on how much toughness you want to add. I'm usually happy with one on wood planked tug hulls.
Regular old polyester resin is fine, if you don't mind the stink. Epoxy can be used indoors without odor, but costs more. For epoxy, Z-Poxy from a hobby shop is fine, or West Systems from a marine supply store.

I hope you like sanding and filling!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,570 Posts
For a painted hull, life is easier... but get a good idea of the process from Pat T's article on glassing mahogany hulls:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329811
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
I used an Enviro-tex pour-on epoxy finish on my current project, worked fine. It's about 40 bucks at any Michaels craft store so grab one of their coupons.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:05 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,086 Posts
I have moved away from using polyester resin because of the smell. I use the Evercoat epoxy resin.
You can not go wrong with either one. But what I would highly recommend, start using one, and always use only one. I have had several occasions where I had a boat that was started with one form, and for some reason or another had to do a repair and used another form. They often will not stick to each other.
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:26 AM
PMBC
Joined Oct 2005
141 Posts
My standard method of hull construction is balsa plank on frame covered with two layers of glass cloth. I use polyester resin because it's cheap and due to working in the industry for many years and my father using it in the house when I was a child !!!! I can no longer smell it.
When it comes to sanding you can mix filler powder with catalised resin to make your own isopon type filler (bondo) and spread that on, it can be a cheaper alternative to using shop bought fillers.

Bart
Barthez is offline Find More Posts by Barthez
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:44 AM
On The Red Sea in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Joined Oct 2010
27 Posts
Boats Is Boats...

Here's a pointer for a lot of detail about materials for building boats, epoxy etc..

http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/MaterialsForBoatbuilding

And just in case you're into super strength there's this:
http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Kevlar

Almost all this stuff applies, just scaled down: thinner and tighter weave fabrics etc. West Epoxy (West Marine or Defender Industries in USA, or your local boat supply house) is great because it will keep for up to 5 years. Get one of those $10 digital scales, thin hard plastic drink glasses, and mix by weight any amount you want.. Stir for 60 seconds and you're ready to use. See the many filler materials. There are different hardeners for long or short time cure.. etc.

And if you're like me, you'll find MANY uses around the house and car also..

I get no commission :-)

Regards, Terry King ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terryking is offline Find More Posts by terryking